+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP after study permit expires

Alfred98

Star Member
Apr 6, 2018
Hi guys,

I’m on study permit right now and it will be expired on 01/July/2020. My study will be done on 26/June/2020.

What I see as a problem now is that I doubt I will be able to apply for PGWP before my study permit expires.

I will ask my instructors if I can get my transcript by the end of 26 or 27 of June. And I will ask my school if they can write a letter of completion as soon as possible.
But again, I highly doubt everything works on time.

What should I do in this case?
Should I apply study permit extension?
If I get the final transcript on June 30th, will I be able to apply PGWP without leaving Canada?

Reactions: sukh1996

maam1994

Jan 8, 2020
Hello there, if your study permit says that will be expired on July 1, you have 90 days after the expiration date in your study permit to apply for PGWP

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Hi guys,

I’m on study permit right now and it will be expired on 01/July/2020. My study will be done on 26/June/2020.

What I see as a problem now is that I doubt I will be able to apply for PGWP before my study permit expires.

I will ask my instructors if I can get my transcript by the end of 26 or 27 of June. And I will ask my school if they can write a letter of completion as soon as possible.
But again, I highly doubt everything works on time.

What should I do in this case?
Should I apply study permit extension?
If I get the final transcript on June 30th, will I be able to apply PGWP without leaving Canada?
You should apply for an extension for 90 days, explain why you need the extension, you should probably apply soon. If it gets rejected you will need to switch to visitor status, the important thing is you need to have valid status while applying for pgwp, any status.

maam1994

Jan 8, 2020
No, you need valid status to apply for pgwp.

Check this link and please try to inform you first

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/apply.html
You have up to 180 days after you receive confirmation from your school that you completed your study program to apply for a PGWP. This confirmation could be a degree, diploma, transcript or official letter from your school.

If you don’t, you have up to 90 days after your study permit expires to restore your status. After 90 days, you have to leave the country.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/apply.html
You have up to 180 days after you receive confirmation from your school that you completed your study program to apply for a PGWP. This confirmation could be a degree, diploma, transcript or official letter from your school.

If you don’t, you have up to 90 days after your study permit expires to restore your status. After 90 days, you have to leave the country.
If your study permit expires it means tou are out of status and will need to apply for status restoration and some new status before you can apply for PGWP. So its definitely not good advice you are giving.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Agree with bongoman. You are providing bad advice. A person can't just let their study permit expire and apply within 90 days. Valid status is required to qualify for a PGWP. If not applying for a study permit extension, a person must apply to change their status to visitor BEFORE their study permit expires.

Huyenthu98

Feb 5, 2017
My study permit and TRV are expired on Nov 30, 19
I applied for SP extension on October 15, 2019 and still waiting for it
I graduated and received the completion letter from my college on Jan 13, 2020

Can I apply for PGWP now or wait for SP extension and then apply?
Thank guys