+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP after graduation under covid 19 restrictions - study &coop permits expire 10 months after completion of program

Yahle29

Jan 18, 2021
Hi, I am on a study permit and my coop work permit both expires in July 2021, my letter of confirmation came september 20th and my transcript came 15th November to support the pgwp application. The IRCC extended the 90 day requirement for pgwp to 180 days. I have already moved to another province while I was waiting for my letters and I am working in a noc job. Am I to restore my status beore I apply for the PGWP ? Do I need to stop work with my employer when I apply for the PGWP ? What does this link mean, is this applicable to me, as mentioned above my study permit expires in July 2021 see link here https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=508&top=15

If your study permit has expired

You must

• submit your PGWP application within 90 days of losing your status and pay both fees (open work permit fee and standard work permit fee)
    • Restoring your status as a student has a fee of $350. Due to system limitations, applicants must pay the fees to restore their status as a student online and attach a copy of the receipt to their PGWP online application. You do not need to make a separate application to restore your status as a student.
  • keep meeting the requirements for your stay
  • meet all the remaining conditions listed on your permit

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
Hi, I am on a study permit and my coop work permit both expires in July 2021, my letter of confirmation came september 20th and my transcript came 15th November to support the pgwp application. The IRCC extended the 90 day requirement for pgwp to 180 days. I have already moved to another province while I was waiting for my letters and I am working in a noc job. Am I to restore my status beore I apply for the PGWP ? Do I need to stop work with my employer when I apply for the PGWP ? What does this link mean, is this applicable to me, as mentioned above my study permit expires in July 2021 see link here https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=508&top=15

If your study permit has expired

You must

• submit your PGWP application within 90 days of losing your status and pay both fees (open work permit fee and standard work permit fee)
    • Restoring your status as a student has a fee of $350. Due to system limitations, applicants must pay the fees to restore their status as a student online and attach a copy of the receipt to their PGWP online application. You do not need to make a separate application to restore your status as a student.
  • keep meeting the requirements for your stay
  • meet all the remaining conditions listed on your permit
You should've stopped working once you got the completion letter.

Yahle29

Jan 18, 2021
I lost my last 4 month coop due to covid so continued studying. I finished my studies in September 2020. I have s valid coop and study permit which expire in July 2021 and then I saw that we can apply in 180 days for the pgwp so right now I am 120 days today and have start ed the application and am still working.

Yahle29

Jan 18, 2021
I lost my last 4 month coop due to covid so continued studying. I finished my studies in September 2020. I have s valid coop and study permit which expire in July 2021 and then I saw that we can apply in 180 days for the pgwp so right now I am 120 days today and have start ed the application and am still working.
Also the Permit has r186 section W for those who are completed https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/work-off-campus.html#after

And https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
Really need help deciding if to stop work and apply or apply for restoration and pgwp

Important: When does my Study Permit become invalid?

Your study permit becomes invalid 90 days after completion of studies or the day on which it expires, whichever comes first, as per section 222 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations.

You also need to stop working once you've received completion notification.

Read here

https://www.mcgill.ca/internationalstudents/work/post-graduation-work-permit

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
Yes I saw this and that was the normal case but recently before december 2020 under covid they extended this to 180 days ? Is this not applicable or should I go to lawyer now stop work and then restore status https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/permit.html

The 90 and 180 days are two different things.
Your SP will become invalid after 90 days regardless.

After your letter of completion, you have 180 days to apply. This is the PGWP 180 day rule, has nothing to do with the SP 90 days validity rule.

1. You should've stopped working after getting completion letter.
2. Your SP is invalid, considering 90 days have passed already.

You need to restore your status and apply for a PGWP.
Get help from your school immigration advisor or see an agent.

Hope other members can comment.

Yahle29

Jan 18, 2021
Thank you , I will go and check and post a reply once I see an immigration consultant because I feel other persons will have, all of my other colleagues have expired study permits, unlike them I had a coop work permit which allowed me off campus work so will check and post once I get my appointment I find it confusing now they have extensions and the old regulations before covid apply too.

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
Thank you , I will go and check and post a reply once I see an immigration consultant because I feel other persons will have, all of my other colleagues have expired study permits, unlike them I had a coop work permit which allowed me off campus work so will check and post once I get my appointment I find it confusing now they have extensions and the old regulations before covid apply too.
You're welcome.
Just be aware on the time, since you only have 180 days after completion letter to submit a PGWP app.
Also you shouldn't be working, since after getting your final letter of completion, you need to stop working till you apply for PGWP.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Every student is allowed off campus work just limited to 20 hours/week.
All a coop permit does it allow you to work in your COOP job only,it does not grant any other special working privilege.

Yahle29

Jan 18, 2021