+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP after extending study permit twice due to family crisis?

ValerieO

Mar 27, 2019
Hi, so I lost my only parent 2 years ago and went through a very hard time mentally. I tried to stay in a couple classes each semester to keep my study permit, but i have had to extend it twice and been part time for a couple semesters due to that. I am currently getting my mental health in check and have finally been able to finish my program. i wasnt working while i was part time at all, and only took a lighter load due to health and family reasons. Would I still qualify for PGWP or have to get a job offer? Thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It will be up to CIC. I would include all the information about the death of your parents and proof of any medical/psychological care you were pursuing during the period of your part-time studies.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, so I lost my only parent 2 years ago and went through a very hard time mentally. I tried to stay in a couple classes each semester to keep my study permit, but i have had to extend it twice and been part time for a couple semesters due to that. I am currently getting my mental health in check and have finally been able to finish my program. i wasnt working while i was part time at all, and only took a lighter load due to health and family reasons. Would I still qualify for PGWP or have to get a job offer? Thank you.
By the rules, you do not qualify for a PGWP and should be expecting a refusal. However there's always some small chance that the visa officer processing your application may make an exception.

I woiuld recommend that you start looking for a job offer and an employer who is willing to go through the LMIA process in case your PGWP is refused.

jjj123545

Dec 23, 2021
You got your pgwp?? Any update?