+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP after course’s duration changed

hajar123

Aug 5, 2019
Brazil
Hi!

So, I’m currently enrolled in a 2 year-program at Seneca College. This year, however, the course will run non stop, without a summer break, meaning we’ll be studying the winter, summer and fall terms. This reduces our course duration to 16 months, instead of the original 24.

What I’d like to know is: does this change my PGWP time? Instead of being able to get 3 years could I be eligible for only another 16 months?

Thanks!

jhez2007

Star Member
Aug 9, 2019
Hi!

So, I’m currently enrolled in a 2 year-program at Seneca College. This year, however, the course will run non stop, without a summer break, meaning we’ll be studying the winter, summer and fall terms. This reduces our course duration to 16 months, instead of the original 24.

What I’d like to know is: does this change my PGWP time? Instead of being able to get 3 years could I be eligible for only another 16 months?

Thanks!
you still qualify for 3 year PGWP even you completed your program in less than 2 years. pGwp will depend on the length of the program not how long you took to finish the program.

PS. I graduated Seneca also, I completed my 2 year program in 16 months. I got 3 years PGwp.

hajar123

Aug 5, 2019
Brazil
you still qualify for 3 year PGWP even you completed your program in less than 2 years. pGwp will depend on the length of the program not how long you took to finish the program.

PS. I graduated Seneca also, I completed my 2 year program in 16 months. I got 3 years PGwp.
Phew! Your answer is a weight off my shoulders! Thanks a lot.

jhez2007

Star Member
Aug 9, 2019
Check this link for more information:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/permit.html#determining

Accelerated studies

If a student completes their studies in less time than the normal length of the program (that is, they have accelerated their studies), the post-graduation work permit should be assessed on the length of the program of study.

For example, if the student is enrolled in a program of study that is normally 1 year in duration, but the student completes the requirements for the program of study within 8 months, they may be eligible for a post-graduation work permit that is valid for 1 year

hajar123

Aug 5, 2019
Brazil
Check this link for more information:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/permit.html#determining

Accelerated studies

If a student completes their studies in less time than the normal length of the program (that is, they have accelerated their studies), the post-graduation work permit should be assessed on the length of the program of study.

For example, if the student is enrolled in a program of study that is normally 1 year in duration, but the student completes the requirements for the program of study within 8 months, they may be eligible for a post-graduation work permit that is valid for 1 year
It was this piece of information that got me worried:

Note: If the officer notes that the duration of studies was shorter than the duration of the program, as indicated in the letter confirming the completion of the program of study, and the program was not completed in an accelerated form, the post‑graduation work permit may be issued in accordance with the duration of studies. For example, if the applicant undertook classes for a period of 12 months, not in an accelerated form, but their degree notes that it is a 2‑year degree, the post-graduation work permit may be issued for 12 months, in accordance with the duration of their studies.

I wasn’t sure I’d qualify for “accelerated”, but good thing I do!

jhez2007

Star Member
Aug 9, 2019
Well I dont think that Seneca will issue a letter that is not the same as the length of your program. What I can advise is to make sure that all semesters that you took are all full-time, 4-5 courses per semester. They will not give you pgwp if one of the semesters is not fulltime unless its the last semester of your program which you are allowed to be part time

Last edited: