+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGP sponsorship - Maintaining income

dahbour98

Mar 19, 2018
Hi All,
i have applied to my father in law in 2017 , i have received AOR Dec 12, 2017
i'm working this year as a contractor , do i need to maintain my income during the process time ?
and is there a way to support my NoA with other company income or asset ? till now i didnt file my personal tax and need clarification?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi All,
i'm working this year as a contractor , do i need to maintain my income during the process time ?
and is there a way to support my NoA with other company income or asset ? till now i didnt file my personal tax and need clarification?
You can't sponsor a "father in law". So, I assume that your spouse is the sponsor and that you are a co-signer.
Yes, you must maintain the required income. No, you can't artificially boost your reported PERSONAL income by adding in external sources.

dahbour98

Mar 19, 2018
thats right my wife dosnt work , and i'm co-signer in the application.
thanks for your reply , do you know an estimation for how long it will take for the process time to be completed ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
thats right my wife dosnt work , and i'm co-signer in the application.
thanks for your reply , do you know an estimation for how long it will take for the process time to be completed ?
Likely around 2 years.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

dahbour98

Mar 19, 2018
It's very difficult to assess how long a specific application will take. All we have are the very limited statistics of previous cases published by IRCC.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/index.asp
CIC still showing that they are processing 2014 , while a lot of people landed from 2105, 2016 and even 2017 patch

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/parents-and-grandparents-sponsorship-2017.479048/page-248

the below thread there is luck people :) who complete the process in 7 and 9 months

i don't understand what criteria causing to speed or delay an app??

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hi All,
Your personal income tax return line 150, must support the parents LICO amount, up until the year they get PR app approved. If at any time your income for a tax year goes below LICO, the entire app may be rejected at that time.

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
Your personal income tax return line 150, must support the parents LICO amount, up until the year they get PR app approved. If at any time your income for a tax year goes below LICO, the entire app may be rejected at that time.
really? So even if they apply and meet requirements for the 3 years LICO but it takes 2 extra years to process and in the next 2 years their income falls below the LICO standard for those 2 years their app will be rejected?

Cool! I guess that's only fair. What a fair system!

Reactions: dahbour98
M

mikeymyke

It is fair if you think about for example, sponsor meets 3 yrs LICO but then is unemployed for the next 2 years or makes low income, then clearly sponsor is not capable of supporting the parents

Reactions: nayr69sg and YVR123

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
It is fair if you think about for example, sponsor meets 3 yrs LICO but then is unemployed for the next 2 years or makes low income, then clearly sponsor is not capable of supporting the parents
Yes. Going by this line of thinking though the LICO requirements will always go up for subsequent years (due to inflation). So isn't that rather risky for those who barely meet LICO requirements? If they don't get a pay rise then they will surely fail the LICO requirements for subsequent years.

Any thoughts on this?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Yes. Going by this line of thinking though the LICO requirements will always go up for subsequent years (due to inflation). So isn't that rather risky for those who barely meet LICO requirements? If they don't get a pay rise then they will surely fail the LICO requirements for subsequent years.

Any thoughts on this?
Yes it can be risky. Or they have a kid while app is processing meaning family size +1 and LICO go up, but their income goes down due to maternity leave, that may also cause them to miss LICO going forward and have app later rejected.

Very strict income requirements, but those are the rules.

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
Yes it can be risky. Or they have a kid while app is processing meaning family size +1 and LICO go up, but their income goes down due to maternity leave, that may also cause them to miss LICO going forward and have app later rejected.

Very strict income requirements, but those are the rules.
I agree with that system. The onus is on the applicants to meet the required income. But in some ways this favors the rich doesn't it?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
I agree with that system. The onus is on the applicants to meet the required income. But in some ways this favors the rich doesn't it?
No, it just favours those that earn more than LICO which is the whole point of LICO to begin with. You can make $5K over LICO or $5 Million over LICO, the chances to sponsor your parents is the same.

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
No, it just favours those that earn more than LICO which is the whole point of LICO to begin with. You can make $5K over LICO or $5 Million over LICO, the chances to sponsor your parents is the same.
Well the LICO during processing becomes a sort of moving target if you get what I am trying to say.

In a way that's not quite fair. When people apply they are told they need XYZ income for years ABC. But then later on the susbequent LICO requirements are not even known yet for the next 2 years.

Additionally, this is not told to applicants to begin with. So many will get blindsided by this. For those who barely make the LICO requirements and then be told they need more for the next 2 years......I can imagine many will be very upset. Do these people get back their $550?

I don't think they should have people need to meet next 2 years LICO requirements. It's not fair. It should all be based on what you have at point of application.

Otherwise they should improve the system and lay out LICO for past 3 years and also state that in next 2 years will also require LICO +X%. Let people know. So that if you know your job situation is shaky you might choose not to apply. Or if you barely meet the requirements and know that next year you wont meet LICO+X% then they wont apply as well.

The way I see it, there must be hundreds that meet requirements now, apply and then don't meet requirements again next year or the year after. What a waste!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Additionally, this is not told to applicants to begin with. So many will get blindsided by this. For those who barely make the LICO requirements and then be told they need more for the next 2 years......I can imagine many will be very upset. Do these people get back their $550?
If they bother to actually read the basic guide, it's clearly stated: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5772-application-sponsor-parents-grandparents.html
Do I have to maintain a minimum income during the processing of the application?
Your Minimum Necessary Income must meet or exceed the Federal Income Table for Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship above on the date on which the sponsorship application is signed until the day your family members are granted status as permanent residents.

Income may be reassessed at any time during processing if new information indicates that you may no longer meet the minimum income requirements or if more than 12 months have passed between the dates on which we receive your application and when processing of the application begins.

It's also plainly obvious that the income table goes up a little bit every year, as the 3-years table is literally right above this statement in the guide.

The whole point of 3-years LICO is to see consistency, that the income you're showing will be maintained indefinitely going forward. So people with sporadic income up and down that can't get 3 consecutive years, can't sponsor parents since there is a higher chance they will be unable to support them in later years.