+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGP - Integration after they arrive

zeiesfirdaus

Jan 28, 2019
People in Ontario - Anyone got the provincial photo card? Was there many use for that?
My wife doesn't drive and has this ID. This is very helpful as she uses it as her official Govt issued ID at every location when required. She can't carry passport everywhere and Healthcard is not official ID. From internal flights to Canada post missed parcel pickups this works well. Plan to get these for my parents FOR SURE.

P.S. One cannot have DL AND Ontario Photo ID at the same time. It's either - or.

Reactions: bdidol

member1793562

Star Member
Jan 23, 2019
Hi all,

My parents are 68 & 63 respectively & plan to live in Ontario. I know my dad can get OHIP+ to get free drug coverage because he is over 65+. Can my mom qualify for OHIP+ as spousal or she has to wait for 2 more years to get free drug coverage?

Should we should get private insurance. is it worth it?

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all,

My parents are 68 & 63 respectively & plan to live in Ontario. I know my dad can get OHIP+ to get free drug coverage because he is over 65+. Can my mom qualify for OHIP+ as spousal or she has to wait for 2 more years to get free drug coverage?

Should we should get private insurance. is it worth it?
Currently it is still 65. Private insurance has lots of exclusions and doesn’t cover a lot but you should look into it. Same as dental.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
if one of the parent is over 65, there is a spousal coverage. but yes if they are below 65, you have to pay or buy insurance​
Not sure if you are talking about OHIP but everyone qualifies on their own. If one spouse is over 65 both don’t get drug coverage.

JasonDyk

Star Member
Jul 25, 2019
Guys, does anyone know if your parents are considered as your dependent once they come to canada? If so, do you get any tax benefits when you file your income tax?

Your help will be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

bdidol

Champion Member
Jun 2, 2019
Guys, does anyone know if your parents are considered as your dependent once they come to canada? If so, do you get any tax benefits when you file your income tax?

Your help will be greatly appreciated. Cheers!
Yes. I already talked with my Tax guy and he confirmed it.

JasonDyk

Star Member
Jul 25, 2019
You have to look at your own circumstances and the circumstances f your parents. Very hard to make general statements when if comes to this tax situation.
Would you mind sharing a situation when parents won't be considered as dependent and you can't get tax benefits?
I would really appreciate if you share a situation please.

JUST CHILL

Star Member
May 24, 2009
Would you mind sharing a situation when parents won't be considered as dependent and you can't get tax benefits?
I would really appreciate if you share a situation please.
When you are married , your parents will be counted as your dependent for tax purposes when you are single or divorced. You can find that on CRA website as well.