+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGP - Integration after they arrive

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi canuck78
Thanks for your input. I would like to know how saskhealth rx drug coverage works. As far as i know the coverage is based on income. If you are a permanent resident with a health card you are eligible for rx drug coverage if you have no income. This is not related to any social services or other financial incentives for low income groups. I went through all pages of saskhealth for rx coverage & they never mentioned about non-coverage for permanent residents of canada through sponsorship. please provide a link if other wise
Thanks for your suggestions in advance
Programs the cover all or a portion of medication costs are usually tied to being registered for welfare or disability not just having zero income. I did say that your parents may qualify for a program where you are given help covering the cost of prescription drugs based on what percentage they represent of your income. It will depend how the province interprets your responsibility for covering your parents expenses. It is quite complicated because they are living on an income of sorts that you are responsible for providing them and they are not destitute. They may also be earning money through their pension, rental property, etc. which would also have to be declared. It is up to Saskatchewan how they deal with the application. The program department may be unfamiliar with the program and may start asking you questions when they can’t figure out how your parents are living in Canada with no or barely no income and not applying for welfare. When applying to sponsor your parents you must meet LICO because there are tons of the expenses that you will discover which are not written anywhere because, until recently, there were minimal PGP recipients living in Canada.

https://www.saskatchewan.ca/residents/health/prescription-drug-plans-and-health-coverage/extended-benefits-and-drug-plan/special-support-program

Canada only has around 70% Medicare. Another example you never really hear about is that you have to pay for public nursing homes. They are still significantly funded by the province compared to the private institutions that people can select if they have the savings. The monthly bed fee is basically paid for by p CPP, GIS and OAS so Canadians or PRs (not PGP) don’t really feel the financial burden of the monthly payment if they have left their home/apartment permanently but your family would be responsible for paying the fees until you are no longer responsible for your parents.

https://www.saskatchewan.ca/residents/health/accessing-health-care-services/care-at-home-and-outside-the-hospital/special-care-homes

Reactions: YVR123

bdidol

Champion Member
Jun 2, 2019
Hi canuck78
Thanks for your input. I would like to know how saskhealth rx drug coverage works. As far as i know the coverage is based on income. If you are a permanent resident with a health card you are eligible for rx drug coverage if you have no income. This is not related to any social services or other financial incentives for low income groups. I went through all pages of saskhealth for rx coverage & they never mentioned about non-coverage for permanent residents of canada through sponsorship. please provide a link if other wise
Thanks for your suggestions in advance
I can see things are very different there from ON. I would recommend to e-mail or call to the below contact:

Drug Plan and Extended Benefits Branch
Phone (306) 787-3317
Email dp.sys.support@health.gov.sk.ca

bdidol

Champion Member
Jun 2, 2019
That's my plan. Register my MIL in some ESL classes and there is a community centre near our home. So I will look for some programs there as well. I may introduce her to some neigbhours that are retired so may be they can do some activities together during the day.
I will likely ask her to join me in some local volunteering events. :)
There are lots of ESL programs in Toronto in the neighbood hood. They also sometimes provide transit or cab expenses I think in case if you are not available to give them a ride. I think everyone should explore this as this would increase their communication skills and will help in the long run to integrate in the social interactions.

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
There are lots of ESL programs in Toronto in the neighbood hood. They also sometimes provide transit or cab expenses I think in case if you are not available to give them a ride. I think everyone should explore this as this would increase their communication skills and will help in the long run to integrate in the social interactions.
I don't drive. So I will take her around with public transit and she will learn to use it and be mobile. :)

bdidol

Champion Member
Jun 2, 2019
We should also have them get the below:

- A photo ID card (from the province, can be used for other purpose)
- A Library card

I also checked with the city, there are several senior program-oriented community center. We should all check them.

salmunsu

Star Member
Apr 17, 2015
I can see things are very different there from ON. I would recommend to e-mail or call to the below contact:

Drug Plan and Extended Benefits Branch
Phone (306) 787-3317
Email dp.sys.support@health.gov.sk.ca
Hey Bdidol,

My mother is 55 and my father is 65. They plan on staying in Ontario and do not plan on working in Canada.

For their situation, what are their drug coverage options?

bdidol

Champion Member
Jun 2, 2019
Hey Bdidol,

My mother is 55 and my father is 65. They plan on staying in Ontario and do not plan on working in Canada.

Your father will be covered for the drugs under Ontario Drug Benefit (ODB) program.

For your mom, you have to pay for it or buy private health insurance.

Your case is similar to me, we will discuss this further down the road.

bdidol

Champion Member
Jun 2, 2019
For parents...which bank would be good to open account? Joint/Individual account? Assuming they will have minimal transaction...a low fee option would be best.

zt2018

Apr 6, 2018
Rbc has checking accounts with senor rebate, so they will not have to pay anything.

I'd say joint account with 2 client cards for both (and your name could be added just in case)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey Bdidol,

Unless expenses are very high you will likely end up paying cash for the prescriptions. These are some of the expenses that children must be prepared for. You may qualify for Trillium as PGP recipient but you still have to pay pretty decent deductibles and not every medication is covered. Same thing for ODB. Not all medications are covered like private insurance.

bdidol

Champion Member
Jun 2, 2019
Rbc has checking accounts with senor rebate, so they will not have to pay anything.

I'd say joint account with 2 client cards for both (and your name could be added just in case)
Thanks...seems other banks also have senior account option, but RBC one seems to the best among them.

bdidol

Champion Member
Jun 2, 2019
Unless expenses are very high you will likely end up paying cash for the prescriptions. These are some of the expenses that children must be prepared for. You may qualify for Trillium as PGP recipient but you still have to pay pretty decent deductibles and not every medication is covered. Same thing for ODB. Not all medications are covered like private insurance.
ODB deductible is only $100 and if the parents income is below ~$30k, that will be waived. Most local pharmacies also waived the $2 co pay for seniors. As for the drug coverage, I don't know, will explore that later.

What I can see, they will also be eligible for free basic dental service and eye exam.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
ODB deductible is only $100 and if the parents income is below ~$30k, that will be waived. Most local pharmacies also waived the $2 co pay for seniors. As for the drug coverage, I don't know, will explore that later.

What I can see, they will also be eligible for free basic dental service and eye exam.
That is for seniors. I am talking about the 55 year old. The 65 yr old will be eligible for a eye exam. Whether they will qualify for low income dental will depend on the program. There are limited spots and families are supposed to be take financial responsibility for their parents so they may not qualify. It is a new program.

bdidol

Champion Member
Jun 2, 2019
if one of the parent is over 65, there is a spousal coverage. but yes if they are below 65, you have to pay or buy insurance​