PGP 2020

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Sounds like they have revamped the program significantly. Interested to see but suspect the application will be closer to the tax filing date. Hopefully that will prevent people from applying without the income needed.
I think stupid people still won't look at the requirements and arrogant people will still think the requirements don't apply to them.

What IRCC needs is a first step where people have to actually enter their income straight from line 150 of their tax return and validate it. No ambiguity, just straight up "What is line 150 of your 201X return?". If it validates, the rest of the app opens up to fill out. If it isn't enough, they are booted out right there.

Reactions: k.h.p.

sk2013

Star Member
Oct 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think stupid people still won't look at the requirements and arrogant people will still think the requirements don't apply to them.

What IRCC needs is a first step where people have to actually enter their income straight from line 150 of their tax return and validate it. No ambiguity, just straight up "What is line 150 of your 201X return?". If it validates, the rest of the app opens up to fill out. If it isn't enough, they are booted out right there.
+1, all for it + charge all the application fee upfront. These 2 things will do away with all the data entry bots which hogged the system in previous years.

babybenz

Jan 26, 2018
+1, all for it + charge all the application fee upfront. These 2 things will do away with all the data entry bots which hogged the system in previous years.
These were stipulated during the lucky draw days but I remembered some of the senior members here said IRCC cannot do that or something...

sk2013

Star Member
Oct 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
These were stipulated during the lucky draw days but I remembered some of the senior members here said IRCC cannot do that or something...
I am not asking CIC to ensure that the applicant is not lying on the form. The lying part would be checked once application is submitted but it will help the applicant in determining whether he is really eligible for it. Secondly, when I have to pay full application fee upfront, I would be much careful not to go for it if I am not eligible. At the moment, there is no penalty for hogging the spaces.

Dainik

Star Member
Feb 24, 2019
What could be on the table I wonder...
1/ "This will give all interested sponsors the same opportunity to submit an interest to sponsor form..." ---> You will have maybe 1 month to fill in the form and click submit
2/ "... and a fair chance to be invited to apply." ---> This is tricky though... we had "Lottery" so far, and we know it does not work well... What could then be heh?
Dont seem like its a Lottery this time.

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
And it could take time before they release the new system as mentioned in temporary ministerial instructions.

"These instructions will allow the Department sufficient time to complete the development of a new application intake management process for the parents and grandparents sponsorship program, to be implemented in 2020. The Minister intends to issue further Instructions relating to the intake management process for the parents and grandparents program by April 1, 2020, at the latest."

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate/policies-operational-instructions-agreements/ministerial-instructions/other-goals/mi36.html
Haha it will be an April Fool's Joke.

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
What could be on the table I wonder...
1/ "This will give all interested sponsors the same opportunity to submit an interest to sponsor form..." ---> You will have maybe 1 month to fill in the form and click submit
2/ "... and a fair chance to be invited to apply." ---> This is tricky though... we had "Lottery" so far, and we know it does not work well... What could then be heh?
Here's what I think.

FIFO. But they leave the applications open for a month.

After 1 month then they let you know if you were one of the first 5000 or whatever.

Makes no sense go close it so fast. Just let people apply. Then tell them sorry you didnt make the cut.

Make it less transparent. More participatory friendly. People like to feel the got a chance (even if they really didnt).

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
I am not asking CIC to ensure that the applicant is not lying on the form. The lying part would be checked once application is submitted but it will help the applicant in determining whether he is really eligible for it. Secondly, when I have to pay full application fee upfront, I would be much careful not to go for it if I am not eligible. At the moment, there is no penalty for hogging the spaces.
There should be a penalty for making false declarations.

They should state that if you apply and declare that you meet requirements but really do not then you MAY be barred for the next year.

Just makes people do some research before they apply. And if they dont do their homework and make false declarations and waste people's time then they MAY sit out next year. Fair. Just the threat of it. Of course IRCC may choose not to disqualify anyone the following year but just having the "you MAY be barred" will work for some.

Last edited:

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
Dont seem like its a Lottery this time.
Keep the FIFO. But dont be so obvious when closing the applications.

Just leave it open. Let the system take the full 50,000 interest to sponsor applications. Issue 50,000 confirmation numbers. Assign these randomly but have a time stamp on each application. Send ITAs only to top whatever number. Send the rest a sorry you weren't in the first whatever number.

People like to have hope. And being able to put in that application in the first place helps a lot.

Is it a lottery? Kind of. But if you say it is FIFO it makes those serious people really be prepared and work for it. The rest who might not be serious will take their time and think they stand a chance. Only to be told they dont. It is ok.

But to close after 11 minutes then have people complain they couldn't even get in.....that's silly. Magnet for complaints and lawsuits.

Reactions: Dainik

Kelon

Jan 21, 2013
“Earlier this year, the government accepted 27,000 submissions for sponsoring parents or grandparents and confirmed that more than 100,000 people had attempted to access an online form to express interest”

this is a quote from CBC news. Just wondering how they will solve this problem looking at the amount of people who attempted. hopefully they focus more on filtering the requirements and not closing the program all together.

For example, Citizens and no permanent residence, they will qualify when they become citizens. Make it just parents, take off grand parents. When parents arrive, if they qualify, they can then sponsor their parents. More years of paying taxes instead of just 3years, it can be 5-10 years, better chances to those who have more years of income tax.

Reactions: Dainik and nayr69sg

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
“Earlier this year, the government accepted 27,000 submissions for sponsoring parents or grandparents and confirmed that more than 100,000 people had attempted to access an online form to express interest”

this is a quote from CBC news. Just wondering how they will solve this problem looking at the amount of people who attempted. hopefully they focus more on filtering the requirements and not closing the program all together.

For example, Citizens and no permanent residence, they will qualify when they become citizens. Make it just parents, take off grand parents. When parents arrive, if they qualify, they can then sponsor their parents. More years of paying taxes instead of just 3years, it can be 5-10 years, better chances to those who have more years of income tax.
They can't limit it to Canadian citizens. This discussion was had previously but deleted by mods because some people didn't like it. Many countries do not allow dual citizenship. IRCC is not going to force people to renounce their citizenship of birth in order to become Canadian so that they can sponsor their parents.

Reactions: parvisingh

babybenz

Jan 26, 2018
They can't limit it to Canadian citizens. This discussion was had previously but deleted by mods because some people didn't like it. Many countries do not allow dual citizenship. IRCC is not going to force people to renounce their citizenship of birth in order to become Canadian so that they can sponsor their parents.
Ha ha ha... here it comes again!
Neutral solution would be: Both Canadian and PR are qualified, just add more years in the tax returns requirement... Say, 5 consecutive years of tax returns to start with... And, maybe, at the time of submission, have to agree to pay the fee upfront. This fee would be credit toward to the process if sponsor is qualified otherwise, the fee is forfeited if sponsor is not qualified (again, this one was discussed many times, and lots of senior members disagreed)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Canada has an ageing population. There is no way that Canada could deal with unlimited sponsorship of parents. Canada has such a large immigration program to help balance out the ageing demographic. If you admitted a couple who sponsored both their parents it would defeat the purpose of immigration. You would be adding to the ageing demographic not helping the situation. The reality is that not everyone can sponsor their parents. This is the case in most countries. Parents sponsorship was never guaranteed when people immigrated.

Dainik

Star Member
Feb 24, 2019
If IRCC want, they can limit it to Citizens only. Both PRs and Citizens have equal rights but Citizens have more rights. Citizens can vote but a PR cant. This should be the case with sponsoring too.
If someone wants to sponsor, anyone, not only parents, they have to be a Canadian Citizen. If Government has not given the right to PRs to vote, they must not allow the PRs to sponsor either.
If this comes into effect, there will be big line up and IRCC will be minting money through Citizenship fees.