+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGP 2020

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If IRCC want, they can limit it to Citizens only. Both PRs and Citizens have equal rights but Citizens have more rights. Citizens can vote but a PR cant. This should be the case with sponsoring too.
If someone wants to sponsor, anyone, not only parents, they have to be a Canadian Citizen. If Government has not given the right to PRs to vote, they must not allow the PRs to sponsor either.
If this comes into effect, there will be big line up and IRCC will be minting money through Citizenship fees.
Citizenship fees don’t actually cover the costs of getting citizenship so the government won’t be minting money. They keep the fees reasonable so that the cost isn’t too much of a barrier to gaining citizenship.

dawn_canada

Jul 15, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore VO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-07-2014
Nomination.....
03-11-2014
AOR Received.
04-12-2014
File Transfer...
31-10-2015
Med's Request
24-02-2015
Med's Done....
06-03-2015 - 3rd Line updated on 17-03-2015, RPRF and PCC received to VO on 23-03-2015
Interview........
Seems waived.
Passport Req..
30-07-2015 and submitted on 31-07-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-08-2015
There are many suggestions on improving the PGP program, I am not sure if there is any formal portal through which we can communicate our suggestions.

I found on canadavisa.com below article for improving PGP program:
https://www.cicnews.com/2019/12/how-to-improve-canadas-parents-and-grandparents-sponsorship-program-in-2020-1213347.html#gs.pe7pkt

Here is main snippet which is worth discussing here:

Parents and Grandparents Human Capital Pilot
One innovation for consideration is introducing a human capital-based approach to managing some PGP applications. The federal government could launch an Economic Class pilot whereby parents and grandparents who are younger in age and have higher levels of education, work experience, and English or French proficiency would get first preference. The pilot would complement the existing PGP Family Class stream and the Super Visa.

One of the reasons the pilot would be novel is that candidates under federal Express Entry-managed programs receive fewer points once they hit a certain age (a candidate gets no points for their age once they turn 45).

Under the Parents and Grandparents Human Capital Pilot, the federal government could welcome up to 2,750 principal applicants per year (the maximum number allowed under a pilot). This figure would likely be more in the neighbourhood of 3,500 parents and grandparents per year since a share of principal applicants would be accompanied by their spouses.

This idea may be unpopular since critics could argue the PGP exists to strengthen Canadian society, not its economy. But this pilot could at least expedite processing for individuals who meet its criteria and would reduce the number of applications submitted to the PGP, which would help to improve PGP processing times.

They way it is described with numbers seems it is internal news and coming as a parallel program to PGP.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
There are many suggestions on improving the PGP program, I am not sure if there is any formal portal through which we can communicate our suggestions.

https://www.cicnews.com/2019/12/how-to-improve-canadas-parents-and-grandparents-sponsorship-program-in-2020-1213347.html#gs.pe7pkt

One innovation for consideration is introducing a human capital-based approach to managing some PGP applications. The federal government could launch an Economic Class pilot whereby parents and grandparents who are younger in age and have higher levels of education, work experience, and English or French proficiency would get first preference. The pilot would complement the existing PGP Family Class stream and the Super Visa.

One of the reasons the pilot would be novel is that candidates under federal Express Entry-managed programs receive fewer points once they hit a certain age (a candidate gets no points for their age once they turn 45).

Under the Parents and Grandparents Human Capital Pilot, the federal government could welcome up to 2,750 principal applicants per year (the maximum number allowed under a pilot). This figure would likely be more in the neighbourhood of 3,500 parents and grandparents per year since a share of principal applicants would be accompanied by their spouses.

This idea may be unpopular since critics could argue the PGP exists to strengthen Canadian society, not its economy. But this pilot could at least expedite processing for individuals who meet its criteria and would reduce the number of applications submitted to the PGP, which would help to improve PGP processing times.

They way it is described with numbers seems it is internal news and coming as a parallel program to PGP.
It isn't internal news. Like this forum, that website is not official or in any way connected to IRCC.

Reactions: Niharika_11

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

As far as I can see, this is just an opinion article and has no basis in IRCC’s existing agenda.
In many respects, it would be better as a complete replacement for the existing PGP Program.

dawn_canada

Jul 15, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore VO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-07-2014
Nomination.....
03-11-2014
AOR Received.
04-12-2014
File Transfer...
31-10-2015
Med's Request
24-02-2015
Med's Done....
06-03-2015 - 3rd Line updated on 17-03-2015, RPRF and PCC received to VO on 23-03-2015
Interview........
Seems waived.
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
07-08-2015
It isn't internal news. Like this forum, that website is not official or in any way connected to IRCC.
I know it is not official that's why I said it seems. The whole point was to discuss around this idea.

babybenz

Jan 26, 2018
Canada has an ageing population. There is no way that Canada could deal with unlimited sponsorship of parents. Canada has such a large immigration program to help balance out the ageing demographic. If you admitted a couple who sponsored both their parents it would defeat the purpose of immigration. You would be adding to the ageing demographic not helping the situation. The reality is that not everyone can sponsor their parents. This is the case in most countries. Parents sponsorship was never guaranteed when people immigrated.
It is true, Canada need more immigrant to balance the work force.
And also, not everyone could afford to sponsor their parents. So to be selective, there is something call Low-Income-Cut-Off to ensure sponsors have made enough end to support themselves and their parents.
So here it comes: Ones do what one can to be with ones' family, provided that it's done according to the law.
So we kindly do not appreciate any "parents sponsorship was never guaranteed..." again and again, don't you think?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I know it is not official that's why I said it seems. The whole point was to discuss around this idea.
Unfortunately, this is how rumours and misinformation start. With people who say "it seems..."
(Along, of course, with "I read it on the Internet, so it must be true".)

dawn_canada

Jul 15, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore VO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-07-2014
Nomination.....
03-11-2014
AOR Received.
04-12-2014
File Transfer...
31-10-2015
Med's Request
24-02-2015
Med's Done....
Interview........
Seems waived.
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
07-08-2015
Unfortunately, this is how rumours and misinformation start. With people who say "it seems..."
(Along, of course, with "I read it on the Internet, so it must be true".)
Please don't assume take the information as it is. I believe we are talking unnecessary about nothing.

dawn_canada

Jul 15, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore VO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-07-2014
Nomination.....
03-11-2014
AOR Received.
04-12-2014
File Transfer...
31-10-2015
Med's Request
24-02-2015
Med's Done....
Interview........
Seems waived.
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
07-08-2015
If IRCC want, they can limit it to Citizens only. Both PRs and Citizens have equal rights but Citizens have more rights. Citizens can vote but a PR cant. This should be the case with sponsoring too.
If someone wants to sponsor, anyone, not only parents, they have to be a Canadian Citizen. If Government has not given the right to PRs to vote, they must not allow the PRs to sponsor either.
If this comes into effect, there will be big line up and IRCC will be minting money through Citizenship fees.
I like and support this idea of putting condition of Canadian Citizen to sponsor their parents. I believe this is valid condition to show loyalty, belonging to the land and commitment for the country to support economically for long term.

PRs (whose intention may be not to live here permanently, that's why they are not surrendering their home country citizenship), can bring their parents on temporary long term SuperVisa.

Kelon

Jan 21, 2013
They can't limit it to Canadian citizens. This discussion was had previously but deleted by mods because some people didn't like it. Many countries do not allow dual citizenship. IRCC is not going to force people to renounce their citizenship of birth in order to become Canadian so that they can sponsor their parents.
They can't limit it to Canadian citizens. This discussion was had previously but deleted by mods because some people didn't like it. Many countries do not allow dual citizenship. IRCC is not going to force people to renounce their citizenship of birth in order to become Canadian so that they can sponsor their parents.
I think Canada can do whatever they can to raise the threshold of requirements. IRCC doesn’t have to force people to renounce their citizenship. It’s simply their choice. It’s also a choice to sponsor ones parents.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It is true, Canada need more immigrant to balance the work force.
And also, not everyone could afford to sponsor their parents. So to be selective, there is something call Low-Income-Cut-Off to ensure sponsors have made enough end to support themselves and their parents.
So here it comes: Ones do what one can to be with ones' family, provided that it's done according to the law.
So we kindly do not appreciate any "parents sponsorship was never guaranteed..." again and again, don't you think?
Unless they are asked to pay for healthcare the income of their children isn’t a huge factor. Actually have seen many higher income children use a lot more public services for their parents than middle income earners. If you are too low income to support your family and parents people shouldn’t qualify at all. Will continue saying that parents sponsorship was never guaranteed because many Canadians use the fact that their parents have been left in their home country as a reason that they need their parents to come to Canada. I see people who immigrated 3 years ago say they need to bring their parents to Canada because they are alone yet they decided to leave their home country 3 years knowing there was no guarantee they could be reunited.

Canada has an ageing population which is only getting worse and the cost of healthcare is increasing. I am sympathetic but also see how our healthcare system can’t handle the current population of older people. The system can’t even handle some of the young and healthier families.

Reactions: Kelon

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I like and support this idea of putting condition of Canadian Citizen to sponsor their parents. I believe this is valid condition to show loyalty, belonging to the land and commitment for the country to support economically for long term.

PRs (whose intention may be not to live here permanently, that's why they are not surrendering their home country citizenship), can bring their parents on temporary long term SuperVisa.
Actually the likelihood of people leaving Canada often increases after they get citizenship. Time in Canada or working in Canada would be a better indicator.

Reactions: Kelon

Kelon

Jan 21, 2013
Ha ha ha... here it comes again!
Neutral solution would be: Both Canadian and PR are qualified, just add more years in the tax returns requirement... Say, 5 consecutive years of tax returns to start with... And, maybe, at the time of submission, have to agree to pay the fee upfront. This fee would be credit toward to the process if sponsor is qualified otherwise, the fee is forfeited if sponsor is not qualified (again, this one was discussed many times, and lots of senior members disagreed)
Even with the fees, we will end up in the same process that isn’t working right Now. People are willing to gamble with their money but when you don’t meet the requirements at all, you won’t attempt to apply. 100,000 people that attempted to apply last year must have met the income requirements. Atleast most of them!

Kelon

Jan 21, 2013
Canada has an ageing population. There is no way that Canada could deal with unlimited sponsorship of parents. Canada has such a large immigration program to help balance out the ageing demographic. If you admitted a couple who sponsored both their parents it would defeat the purpose of immigration. You would be adding to the ageing demographic not helping the situation. The reality is that not everyone can sponsor their parents. This is the case in most countries. Parents sponsorship was never guaranteed when people immigrated.
absolutely! It can’t be unlimited. That’s why they need to add more requirements. If for example I sponsored my parents last year, meet the LICO and expert in typing, how will it be fair to now sponsor my grandparents this year just because? I think that spot should be left for those that want to sponsor their parents.

if and when my parents qualify, they can sponsor their parents.

Kelon

Jan 21, 2013
very fair