+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGP 2020

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How about Comprehensive Ranking Score, the one that currently applied for Express Entry. Modify it and adapt it to PGP, that's it!
Think LICO likely needs to be increased given there has been a pretty large cost of living increase in many areas but the government will get sued if the program is considered elitist and favours only the most educated and wealthy. Anecdotally many less wealthy families actually use a lot less health resources for their parents and grandparents and do the day to day care at home which is very hard work. So the fact that wealthy Canadians have more money to support their parents doesn’t actually mean they use less Canadian resources and actually in my experience many are more likely to have their parents end up in longterm care versus volunteering to do the daily caregiving like bathing, toileting, supervising, etc. which is very physically and mentally demanding.

Reactions: Tryingthistime786

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Really heh...
I am feeling like 1 year has long passed, but just like yesterday and we are here again, this time of the year, wishing, speculating, etc... toward this PGP...
GAME ON everyone!
I don't have a horse in this race so doesn't matter to me. Just basing my comments on what I think we can expect. Anything points-based (similar to EE) would be far too much administration and overhead for IRCC and would impact processing times. No one wants to get back to the time when it took 7-10 years for parent / grandparent applications to be processed.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Unfortunately wish Canada was a lit more upfront about the limitations of the program and examples of potential costs that families must be prepared to cover for parents and grandparents. Saw lots of tweets asking Canada to accept all parents who apply, to take off income limit or saying how unfair it is that parents have not been able to join their children even if all their children, whether they have one or many children, are in Canada. Canada unfortunately sells the ability to get PR for parents too much when it will never be possible to meet the demands of all the Canadians wanting PR for their families. Meanwhile most countries don’t offer any immigration programs where parents can join their children and get access to healthcare. Australia is a perfect comparison to us. Canada has an ageing demographic and a deficit of things like longterm care beds. Think we are currently short 30k in Ontario so it would be much better to be upfront with people so they could make realistic plans. I expect tons of parents to file for H&C if they don’t get selected after a year maybe two.

Reactions: Dainik

sk2013

Star Member
Oct 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I agree, if Canada can take in so many refugees and shower them with loads of money every year, parents of Canadians and PR holders should also get a right. The way they make faces when it comes to parents and grandparents immigration is very unfortunate.

Reactions: Tryingthistime786

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I agree, if Canada can take in so many refugees and shower them with loads of money every year, parents of Canadians and PR holders should also get a right. The way they make faces when it comes to parents and grandparents immigration is very unfortunate.
If you don't understand the difference between a refugee who is FLEEING their country, persecution, war, death etc. and parents wanting to immigrate, you seriously need to educate yourself. Also, refugees are not "showered with loads of money". And unlike sponsored parents, refugees are generally younger people who work and contribute back to the economy for decades.

PGP is, at its core, a humanitarian program. No one has the right to immigrate to Canada and no one has the right to have their family immigrate to Canada. You made the choice to immigrate and leave your family.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
You’re kidding right ?
Comparing people fleeing from dictatorships, totalitarian political systems, torture , with the PGP ?
Seriously?
What is unfortunate is when people assume it’s their right to sponsor their parents etc

sk2013

Star Member
Oct 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Okay, I understand I drew a bad comparison. Sorry for that.

But I don't also see why is it not someone's right to sponsor his/her parents? It is a right as per the immigration policy gated by some kind of a quota mechanism.

I am all for keeping FIFO mechanism as last year with much further improvements and checks before taking in the interest to sponsor forms + taking full fees at the time of submissions so people are penalised for hogging spots.

Lastly, I don't think refugees are all fleeing persecutions, there is a lot of misuse of that quota - mind you - at least govt can fix that. On the other hand, PGP can't be misused.

Talking about economic value, this argument doesn't hold because not all parents need medical attention, and not all parents come here with nothing in their pockets. Most of them move here with their savings + they help their children to be more productive and add more economic value. There is an economic argument to that side just so you know.

It is not black and white, but yes I understand and agree my comparison with refugees in general was a stretch so I take that back.

Tanvir1405

Nov 9, 2017
Hi,, i am thiking to apply for my family under PGP. But i started working in 2017.. according to previous income requirements i am qualified to apply But for 2019 tax assessment will come in 2020.. do i still can apply?? Please reply..

Dainik

Star Member
Feb 24, 2019
Hi,, i am thiking to apply for my family under PGP. But i started working in 2017.. according to previous income requirements i am qualified to apply But for 2019 tax assessment will come in 2020.. do i still can apply?? Please reply..
Wait and see whats new. There might be a condition to work for last 5 years to sponsor your parents. Maybe there will be none. Who knows. Hold your horses and wait for the next update.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Okay, I understand I drew a bad comparison. Sorry for that.

But I don't also see why is it not someone's right to sponsor his/her parents? It is a right as per the immigration policy gated by some kind of a quota mechanism.

I am all for keeping FIFO mechanism as last year with much further improvements and checks before taking in the interest to sponsor forms + taking full fees at the time of submissions so people are penalised for hogging spots.

Lastly, I don't think refugees are all fleeing persecutions, there is a lot of misuse of that quota - mind you - at least govt can fix that. On the other hand, PGP can't be misused.

Talking about economic value, this argument doesn't hold because not all parents need medical attention, and not all parents come here with nothing in their pockets. Most of them move here with their savings + they help their children to be more productive and add more economic value. There is an economic argument to that side just so you know.

It is not black and white, but yes I understand and agree my comparison with refugees in general was a stretch so I take that back.
No one has the right to immigrate to Canada. That includes parents of Canadian citizens and PRs.

Do you understand the definition of a refugee? It is "a person who has been forced to leave their country in order to escape war, persecution, or natural disaster." Refugees are fleeing something and in need of Canada's help. Otherwise, they aren't refugees; they are fake refugees or economic migrants.

The economic value certainly matters. It is why PGP sponsorship was shut down for years and completely revamped. Studies found that the majority of parents that came here contributed little economically and ended up on welfare as soon as the 10 year undertaking finished. Most sponsored parents don't have much, if any, savings. It is why the undertaking was changed to 20 years and why an increased LICO for 3 years was introduced. Canada needed to ensure that sponsors and not Canadian taxpayers were supporting sponsored family members.

The majority don't work, claim benefits and use the medical system without ever having paid into it. They may not need medical attention when they get here but they will. The most expensive medical care in life is in the last few decades. The economic value provided by helping their children is minimal in comparison.

Dainik

Star Member
Feb 24, 2019
No one has the right to immigrate to Canada. That includes parents of Canadian citizens and PRs.

Do you understand the definition of a refugee? It is "a person who has been forced to leave their country in order to escape war, persecution, or natural disaster." Refugees are fleeing something and in need of Canada's help. Otherwise, they aren't refugees; they are fake refugees or economic migrants.

The economic value certainly matters. It is why PGP sponsorship was shut down for years and completely revamped. Studies found that the majority of parents that came here contributed little economically and ended up on welfare as soon as the 10 year undertaking finished. Most sponsored parents don't have much, if any, savings. It is why the undertaking was changed to 20 years and why an increased LICO for 3 years was introduced. Canada needed to ensure that sponsors and not Canadian taxpayers were supporting sponsored family members.

The majority don't work, claim benefits and use the medical system without ever having paid into it. They may not need medical attention when they get here but they will. The most expensive medical care in life is in the last few decades. The economic value provided by helping their children is minimal in comparison.
Hey everyone, relax. I m pretty sure everyone here are grown up people. Its just the excitement and nervousness which comes with the word PGP and some of us cant use the appropriate words to express things. Its not anyones intention to hurt someones feelings.

sk2013

Star Member
Oct 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Are you a spokesperson of immigration department or what?

Looking at your post, you should never bring your parents to Canada

Dainik

Star Member
Feb 24, 2019
Are you a spokesperson of immigration department or what?

Looking at your post, you should never bring your parents to Canada
He is an immigrant too but he must not spread hate and try not to educate people on immigration as we all know what migration is. Keep your thoughts within yourself unless you have some update to share. Thanks.

parvisingh

Nov 24, 2014
California
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-07-2017
I am asking this question on behalf of a friend. Can anyone please share their experience if someone was able to sponsor their parents by living in Quebec temporarily. QC has less financial requirements and they only consider the last one year of financials.