+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGP 2020

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Having time working/studying/living in Canada factor into qualifying for PGP rewards those who are likely to stay in Canada longterm and who have paid taxes longterm. Getting PGP after only 3 years of living in Canada is a huge benefit without any guarantee that people will stay working in Canada and paying into the tax system. The primary income earner could work overseas or move the family could move elsewhere and leave the parents in Canada. This year getting a spot mostly came down to who had the fastest internet, best technology, typed the fastest and who was comfortable with technology. That is why people sued and the government settled..

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
Having time working/studying/living in Canada factor into qualifying for PGP rewards those who are likely to stay in Canada longterm and who have paid taxes longterm. Getting PGP after only 3 years of living in Canada is a huge benefit without any guarantee that people will stay working in Canada and paying into the tax system. The primary income earner could work overseas or move the family could move elsewhere and leave the parents in Canada. This year getting a spot mostly came down to who had the fastest internet, best technology, typed the fastest and who was comfortable with technology. That is why people sued and the government settled..
Or hired someone who had all the above to submit for them. Lol!

babybenz

Jan 26, 2018
I am sure you have read my tirades against the lottery. I am just so glad my parents already have got through.

The system should be tightened up to reduce abuse in the application stage. Right now there is way too much room for people making frivolous applications.

To all those people who talk about how things should be "fair". Sorry to burst your bubble. But life is NOT fair.

It is a constant competition. If you lose, accept it and work harder to improve or try again. Some people choose to hire lawyers to fight for them too (that's not about fairness either).

They should NOT try to form a system that is "fair" because it will never please anyone in distributing a very in demand resource.

Instead form a robust competitive system that rewards those who deserve it. That way people can work their way to attain it. It gives people hope and purposeful action.

A lottery is great for games and sports. Not for being able to sponsor your parents as PR to Canada. Unless you view it as a game. (Maybe Canadians do. But not the immigrants of course)
Hey nayr69sg,
Yeah, I know what you mean. I was also lucky that my parents got selected but right now, I am on fire, waiting for my in-laws one...
What I said between the typing race and the lotto, I'd rather go with the lotto so that no-one could gain advantages if one is slow typing skill or one is less tech-savy. But neither is a good solution, hence the Minister got replaced!
I hope the new one comes up with some short of better measurements. I really like the requirement of minimum residential such as 5 years, 10 years, etc... Something like you said, build-up so that you got a purpose to work hard. I think they should come up with some "Ranking-Score" like they did with the Express Entry. For example, if you lived and worked and paid tax in Canada for 3-5 years, you get 10 out of 20 score, if you are from more than 5 to 7 year, you get 15 and above 7 years, you get 20. Likewise, If your household income is $10,000 more than the LICO, you got 10 out of 20 score, etc...
That would be better heh?

Dainik

Star Member
Feb 24, 2019
IRCC can do way better if they hire right people for the right job. They took a lot of heat and have to relieve Mr Hussain from his job. They must be considering peoples' output on this program by coming to the platforms like this forum.
Its going to be a huge surprise this time for sure.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Is Hussain your roommate? He personally told you that he was not fired or you are just assuming?
Of course not but PGP is such a small program that it is crazy to say that he got moved to a different cabinet position because of the PGP program.

Dainik

Star Member
Feb 24, 2019
Despite good intention from the government to try to improve the process last year, some people decided to sue the government as they was not able to get in on time. This year it is expected that the process may change dramatically to avoid law suit, so we would expect the lottery to come back as it is the only way that people cannot sue.
Lottery, FIFO, Scoring......all assumptions my friend. Lets wait and see.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Lottery, FIFO, Scoring......all assumptions my friend. Lets wait and see.
PGP is such a small fraction of the portfolio and most of the country has never heard of. There was nothing wrong with the lottery. The liberals actually added extra applications to 2018. The people didn’t like it but they had petitioned and lobbied for a lottery so that’s what they got. IRCC not making the FIFO inclusive enough is not enough to get a minister fired. The policy wasn’t created for him and he likely knew nothing about the process. Most of that was done under Goodale and cabinet changes are usually planned in advance.

Reactions: Dainik and nayr69sg

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
PGP is such a small fraction of the portfolio and most of the country has never heard of. There was nothing wrong with the lottery. The liberals actually added extra applications to 2018. The people didn’t like it but they had petitioned and lobbied for a lottery so that’s what they got. IRCC not making the FIFO inclusive enough is not enough to get a minister fired. The policy wasn’t created for him and he likely knew nothing about the process. Most of that was done under Goodale and cabinet changes are usually planned in advance.
Common for ministers to get moved around to different portfolios.

Hussein is now Minister of Families, Children and Social Development. So not a step down for him. Just a switch in portfolio.

He was not fired. PGP is insignificant to the bigger picture.

Reactions: canuck78 and Dainik

Dainik

Star Member
Feb 24, 2019
Hi everyone. How are you guys doing?
I have quick question. My Dad had surgery done to install stent in the artery. Can I sponsor him ? Healthwise he is in good shape but taking medication after the surgery.

Reactions: nayr69sg

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone. How are you guys doing?
I have quick question. My Dad had surgery done to install stent in the artery. Can I sponsor him ? Healthwise he is in good shape but taking medication after the surgery.
It will likely depend on his cardiac check-up.