+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGP 2020

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
Some senior members suggested that there might be around 150K submission for PGP 2020
Last time, IRCC sent out invitation emails roughly 45 days after the form closed. If we speculate the same this year, you would expect to receive email or annoucement from IRCC around Dec 15 - 20... Hopefully it would be earlier than that but who know, it could be later too
I doubt they will send stuff so close to Xmas.

Likely mid Jan 2021.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Some senior members suggested that there might be around 150K submission for PGP 2020
Last time, IRCC sent out invitation emails roughly 45 days after the form closed. If we speculate the same this year, you would expect to receive email or annoucement from IRCC around Dec 15 - 20... Hopefully it would be earlier than that but who know, it could be later too
Applications are dependent on NOA2020 so they can't send out appications too early. They may announce who gets selected and ask people to submit their application in Feb/March.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Wouldn't be surprised if there were 150K applications. Canada is increasing immigration but it is impossible for Canada to be able to accept anywhere close to the parents or grandparents who want to come to Canada with the 300K new immigrants. Wish the government was more upfront that there is huge demand and a small number of spots and that parent sponsorship is not guaranteed. Also that H&C will not be able to be used just because someone doesn't get selected for PGP.

babybenz

Jan 26, 2018
Applications are dependent on NOA2020 so they can't send out appications too early. They may announce who gets selected and ask people to submit their application in Feb/March.
Yeah, that NOA for 2020 thing... I am not sure how this would work out smoothly heh...
IRCC said ones would have 60 days from the date of the invitation to submit the completed application...
So I guess it's more likely IRCC will send out emails in Jan-Feb timeframe, and deadline to submit the complete would be April-May, which also be a deadline for personal income tax return... We'll see

Reactions: nayr69sg

babybenz

Jan 26, 2018
Wouldn't be surprised if there were 150K applications. Canada is increasing immigration but it is impossible for Canada to be able to accept anywhere close to the parents or grandparents who want to come to Canada with the 300K new immigrants. Wish the government was more upfront that there is huge demand and a small number of spots and that parent sponsorship is not guaranteed. Also that H&C will not be able to be used just because someone doesn't get selected for PGP.
In the PGP 2018, there was 93,000+ submission of EOI, and IRCC went for 10,000 completed applications
The PGP 2019 was a gong show so didn't know how many submitted before the online form closed
Hence the guess for 2020, as the lottery is back, is 150K... because IRCC said they plan to have 10K for this 2020 and 30K for 2021, but we already are at the end of 2020
So the next question would then be, when would be the next round of EOI (the round for 30K)?

vishu2010

Mar 2, 2018
hello all, In the interest form for the ID field I put the PR card number without a hyphen. I have realised this is a mistake after reading in this forum now. Does that mean, I will face outright rejection without even going to the lottery?

kprs_ind

Apr 17, 2013
Chennai
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-08-2013
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
06-10-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
10-03-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2014
LANDED..........
29-07-2014
If it isnt end of Nov then mid Jan.

December tends to be holiday month.
I think they would send invitations before end of this year. So the people who are not selected, will be able to apply in the next year again or the date of next year PGP opening will be delayed until the current one results are announced.

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
I think they would send invitations before end of this year. So the people who are not selected, will be able to apply in the next year again or the date of next year PGP opening will be delayed until the current one results are announced.
Well it's all guess work.

I am just basing on past experience and also the work culture here in Canada.

Usually very little non essential work or projects get done in December. People take leave. Go on holidays. Departments are short handed. That kind of thing.

If they send out the ITAs in December and they aren't ready to start processing them, their processing times are going to appear LONGER when they start receiving them in December. So why would they sabotage their KPIs?

So my guess is the invitations will be sent out in mid Jan 2021 when everyone is past the Xmas/New Year holidays and is back to work.

Also unlikely the the next round of PGP EOI will open before the ITAs for the current draw are sent out. So expect the EOI for 2021 to be sometime in April or May 2021.

All just guesses on my part.

Last edited:

babybenz

Jan 26, 2018
Well it's all guess work.

I am just basing on past experience and also the work culture here in Canada.

Usually very little non essential work or projects get done in December. People take leave. Go on holidays. Departments are short handed. That kind of thing.

If they send out the ITAs in December and they aren't ready to start processing them, their processing times are going to appear LONGER when they start receiving them in December. So why would they sabotage their KPIs?

So my guess is the invitations will be sent out in mid Jan 2021 when everyone is past the Xmas/New Year holidays and is back to work.

Also unlikely the the next round of PGP EOI will open before the ITAs for the current draw are sent out. So expect the EOI for 2021 to be sometime in April or May 2021.

All just guesses on my part.
This timeframe would be similar to 2018, except that in 2018 IRCC opened the form in Feb and send the invitation in May
This year, I also guess, if IRCC does not send out ITAs by the end of November 2020 or latest 1st week of December (not likely even though I hope); They might as well send out in Jan-Feb period.

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
This timeframe would be similar to 2018, except that in 2018 IRCC opened the form in Feb and send the invitation in May
This year, I also guess, if IRCC does not send out ITAs by the end of November 2020 or latest 1st week of December (not likely even though I hope); They might as well send out in Jan-Feb period.
So in 2018 they opened for EOI submissions in Feb. Then sent out invitations ITAs in May. 4 months later.

They opened for EOI submissions in Oct 2020. 4 months later would be Jan 2021.

So if we follow the same timeframe it should be Jan 2021. And plus all the other reasons mentioned earlier it makes it more than likely it will be Jan 2021.

Well hopefully for everyone it is earlier although my guess is not.

Actually with quite a few things the Federal Govt has been reporting delays in processing due to Covid19. So maybe things might be even longer.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There is a lot of fancy language being used to not say anything concrete. Essentially the Liberals wanted to announce PGP2020 because of the fear of an election next year. No matter what they need to wait until NOA2020s are available.

babybenz

Jan 26, 2018
There is a lot of fancy language being used to not say anything concrete. Essentially the Liberals wanted to announce PGP2020 because of the fear of an election next year. No matter what they need to wait until NOA2020s are available.
Deadline for Tax return is June 30, 2021 so technically speaking, IRCC could send out invitation at the end of April 2021 (then 60 days for the actual application)...
It's gonna be a long year on PGP-2020 I feel...

raamin

May 14, 2020
https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-2996

Petition to the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship
Whereas:
  • Family reunification has a positive effect on attracting talented immigrants and a positive impact on family prosperity and the economy;
  • By previously scrapping the lottery system for parent and grandparent reunification, the government recognized that the luck-based system is deeply flawed;
  • The recent reintroduction of the lottery system was made with no transparency about the reasoning, studies and consultations that lead to the decision;
  • In addition, the lack of advanced notice means even more are left out with no time to properly plan ahead; and
  • Time and time again, arbitrary application caps result in an unfair system.
We, the undersigned, Canadians and permanent residents of Canada, call upon the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship to:
1. Explain the decision to return to the previously scrapped system for Parents and Grandparents (PGP) Program;
2. Release documents relating to the consultations that lead to this change;
3. Immediately undertake an open and publicly available study to create a better and just application process;
4. Recognize the positive benefits for family reunification and create a compassionate system without arbitrary caps.