+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PG-work permit and Study permit at the same time?

jasleenkb

Feb 3, 2018
Hi Mr Maker,

You can definitely hold both study permit and PGWP at the same time. I did the same thing. I wanted to go back to school and I applied for study permit of one year. The study permit did not invalidate my work permit. I finished my program last year and have been working since. then. I hope this answers your question.Good luck for your future endeavors.
Hi
I really need help in my situation. I have a PGWP that expires in September 2018 and I applied for PNP already. I want to go back to school and just et one course at a time. But on my work permit, it states that I cannot attend any educational institution, unless authorized. Please help me I am really desperate.

raymondzsy

May 2, 2019
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the information and opinions here.
I am in the similar situation.
I am now holding a 3-year PGWP and working now. But I wish I could attend a full-time master program, and simultaneously working as full-time.
I know that I need a study permit again.

ASSUMING that the study permit is granted and the work permit is NOT invalidated,
1, could my full-time working experience PRIOR to my master program (roughly 1 year) be used in "Comprehenasive Ranking System (CRS) skilled immigrants (Express Entry)" score calculation
2, could my full-time working experience DURING my full-time master program be used in "Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) skilled immigrants (Express Entry)" score calculation
3, could my MASTER degree be used in "Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) skilled immigrants (Express Entry)" score calculation, instead of using a BACHELOR degree.

Thanks a lot

Reactions: omar001

rayrayray

Sep 23, 2016
Your PGWP will not be invalidated if you apply for and receive a Study Permit. I just called CIC and they confirmed this info. Just make sure you include an explanation letter.

Reactions: heidihng

Sara97

Nov 19, 2019
Hi everyone,

I am now holding a 3-year PGWP and working now. But I wish I could attend a full-time master program, and simultaneously working as full-time.

ASSUMING that the study permit is granted and the work permit is NOT invalidated,
1, could my full-time working experience PRIOR to my master program (roughly 1 year) be used in "Comprehenasive Ranking System (CRS) skilled immigrants (Express Entry)" score calculation
2, could my full-time working experience DURING my full-time master program be used in "Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) skilled immigrants (Express Entry)" score calculation
3, could my MASTER degree be used in "Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) skilled immigrants (Express Entry)" score calculation, instead of using a BACHELOR degree.

Thanks a lot
Will the hours gained while working with pgwp be counted if you’re back in school?

Accountingdude2893

Star Member
Jun 15, 2019
So it does seems that it is possible to hold a PGWP + a Study Permit if I am not mistaken?
I have the similar question as Sara97. Will the work experience that you accumulate with the PGWP while holding a Study Permit be affected?

eileen444

Jan 16, 2021
Hi
I am an international graduate student, planning to graduate in 2 months.

I have applied for permanent residency under the spouse sponsorship program 3months ago.
Recently I have gotten a job offer, and I was wondering, am I able to apply for a work permit while having a study permit?

holo1600

Mar 2, 2021
Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot
For your question, it depends on what program you are going to use. It is a YES and NO question.
For CEC, it will not count at all if you are a full-time student, make sure if your school considers you are a full-time student or not.
But you may be able to use it for FSW, please check the FSW program requirements.

As policy may change from time to time, please make sure you check all the reference links below and read all the details, and get the update-to-date information.

For Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

Self-employment and work experience gained while you were a full-time student (even if you were on a co-op work term) doesn’t count towards the minimum requirements for this program.
Quoted from https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/canadian-experience-class.html

Student work experience doesn’t count towards the minimum requirements for the Canadian Experience Class or Federal Skilled Trades Program.
Quoted From https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=394&top=29

Any period of employment when the applicant was engaged in full-time study will not be included in calculating the period of qualifying work experience (e.g., work experience gained through co-op work permits, off-campus work permits while a full-time student and on-campus work permits). [R87.1(3)(a)]. Officers should verify the work permit information in GCMS.
Quoted From https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/experience/qualifying-work-experience.html

Are you a full-time or part-time student?
Full-time versus part-time studies
The definition of full-time or part-time varies depending on the educational institution. A study permit may be issued whether or not the student’s studies are on a full-time or part-time basis (i.e., the condition that study permit holders must actively pursue studies does not require them to be enrolled on a full-time basis), as long as they are enrolled at a designated learning institution. However, the student must have a full-time status in order to work on or off campus.
Quoted From https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/other-considerations.html?fbclid=IwAR3fuMQfZVWdCLSKEup-HgtqFD_jpyC5W9bxJWRDPZUAYgHdR8L5KqV-h4Q

Also 1 exception for here NOC 4012 – Post-secondary teaching and research assistants
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=855&top=6

From my point of view using NOC 4012, you need to gain 1-year full-time work experience or equal to 1560 hours part-time.

Does the one year of work experience to qualify under the Canadian Experience Class include non-paid employment? Is there a minimum wage requirement for qualifying employment?
Non-paid employment does not qualify under the Canadian Experience Class. You must have been paid a wage (or earned a commission) but there is no minimum wage requirement for your qualifying work experience.
Full-time work experience means working at least 30 paid hours per week. To qualify, you must have skilled work experience, meaning work in occupations listed at NOC Skill Type 0 (managerial), or NOC Skill Level A (professional occupations) or NOC skill Level B (technical and trade occupations).
Quote From https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=665&top=29

However,
For Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)
Student work experience gained while you were studying in Canada or abroad counts towards the minimum requirements for the Federal Skilled Worker Program if the work:

This includes co-op terms and apprenticeships.
Quoted From https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=394&top=29

Also, if you want to check more detail for FSWP, you can read the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations 75
https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-2002-227/page-17.html#h-686674

Also, reference to if it is allowed working off-campus.
Who can’t work off campus
You can’t work off campus without a work permit if any of these situations apply to you:

• your study permit says you aren’t authorized to work off campus while you study
  • you’re only enrolled in an English or French as a second language (ESL/FSL) program
  • you’re only taking general interest courses
  • you’re only taking courses required to be accepted into a full-time program
  • your situation changes and you no longer meet all of the requirements to work off campus
If any of these situations apply to you, and you want to work while studying in Canada, you need to apply for a work permit.

If you already applied for a work permit
You can work full-time if you meet all of these requirements:

• You were already able to work off campus during your studies
  • You applied for a work permit or post-graduation work permit (PGWP) before your study permit expired
  • You’re waiting for a decision on your work permit application
Quoted from https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/work-off-campus.html

Also, you should apply for a study permit for more than 6 months program.
Foreign nationals may enter Canada or remain in Canada without a study permit to attend a course or program of study of 6 months’ duration or less [R188(1)(c)]
Quoted from https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/who-needs-study-permit.html

==================================================
Anything below is not quoted, please make sure you call IRCC to confirm yourself.

I called IRCC, the IRCC agent said a new study permit will not invalidate your PGWP, and I can apply for a study permit whiling having PGWP
Please make sure you call IRCC yourself to confirm. Also, make sure the conditions stated on your permits.

In my new study permit has a regulation 186 (f), (v), (w) but the regulation stated when "No permit required" while study. If I have a PGWP permit, I think I don't void the 186 regulation.
https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-2002-227/section-186.html

In my PGWP, it has a condition states that not allow attending any education unless authorized. So, from the quoted above, it is not authorized to study without a study permit if the course or program is more than 6 months.

Last edited:

LordArk

Apr 3, 2021
Hi ,
I have an Acceptance letter from University , and IELTS score of overall-6.5 ( W-7, R-7, L-8 , S-6.5 ) ..along with GIC Certificate..
I would like to apply for NON-SDS category without paying the fees of the college . Is that possible ..?? (because it is not mentioned in the official website that we need to pay tuition fee in SDS only) ..
Also if I were to reapply in SDS .. after how much time could I do so .. and is it possible to reapply in between my NON SDS application

ramin2200

Jun 24, 2021
Hi
I am an international graduate student, planning to graduate in 2 months.

I have applied for permanent residency under the spouse sponsorship program 3months ago.
Recently I have gotten a job offer, and I was wondering, am I able to apply for a work permit while having a study permit?

Hello,

I have the exact same situation, would you please share your experience? I am a student right now under a study permit, we applied for PR through my spouse. I was wondering if we can apply for BOWP (bridge open work permit) and still my study permit remains valid. Basically, is it possible to have two permits at the same time, working full time and studying full time.
I would greatly appreciate it if you can share your experience.

Reactions: mojomojo

mojomojo

Aug 18, 2021
Quebec City - Quebec
Category........
QSW
Nomination.....
20-06-2021
Hello,

I have the exact same situation, would you please share your experience? I am a student right now under a study permit, we applied for PR through my spouse. I was wondering if we can apply for BOWP (bridge open work permit) and still my study permit remains valid. Basically, is it possible to have two permits at the same time, working full time and studying full time.
Hi everyone, I'm in the same situation. Could anyone similar share some experience?

heidihng

Star Member
Aug 26, 2019
App. Filed.......
25-06-2021
Hi Mr Maker,

You can definitely hold both study permit and PGWP at the same time. I did the same thing. I wanted to go back to school and I applied for study permit of one year. The study permit did not invalidate my work permit. I finished my program last year and have been working since. then. I hope this answers your question.Good luck for your future endeavors.
Hi, I’m in the same situation right now. I have a valid pgwp and applying for study permit to go for masters. Just wondering did you need to submit your biometrics when you applied for the study permit while on pgwp? The system said I don’t need to submit my biometrics and they didn’t give me any instructions to do so, but I’m just worried that what if I need to. Thanks! I’m applying from outside of Canada.

heidihng

Star Member
Aug 26, 2019
App. Filed.......
25-06-2021
Did anyone apply for study permit after obtaining pgwp while it is still valid exempt from submitting biometrics?

heidihng

Star Member
Aug 26, 2019
App. Filed.......
25-06-2021
Hello,

From my understanding:
1. Study permit then work permit while you haven’t not graduated—> you can’t apply for a work permit, unless there are some special situations like you have a pr or citizen spouse or sponsor (but I’m not sure about all the special cases)
2. Graduated then work permit (post grad work permit)—> you can work full time now and attend courses (can’t be towards a degree or certificate program, it has to be just a simple course that last less than 6 months, if I remember it right)
3. Graduated then pgwp then study permit because you wanna go back to school —> you go to school full time and work (assuming your pgwp is still valid, otherwise you can’t work full time after gaining study permit) in this case though, can you really study full time and work full time even though your pgwp is valid? You probably can’t, assuming you are really attending all the classes.

Last edited:

baarsaam

Dec 13, 2019
Hi guys,
I'm on a student permit. My wife is also on a separate student permit (got married while in Canada). Now she wants to renew her study permit as it is expiring. Can she add me to her application to obtain a work permit for me as an accompanying individual?
Thank for the helpful answers in advance!

akiya

Jun 25, 2022
Here is the answer from CIC website.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1618&top=17

Can I have a work permit and study permit at the same time?
Yes. You can apply for an additional permit. However, you must
  • be eligible for both permits
  • show the officer that you can study and work at the same time
When you apply, include a letter to explain how you’ll do this. Give details about how you’ll balance your work schedule with your studies. If you apply online, upload this letter in the Client informationpart of your document checklist.
Eligibility for other programs
There are some things to know about holding 2 permits:
  • The work experience you gain while you hold a study permit won’t count towards the work experience requirements of permanent residence programs.
  • If you plan to apply for a post-graduation work permit when you complete your studies, you’ll need to meet the eligibility criteria.
    • For example, you must maintain full-time status during all semesters of your study program, even while working.