+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PFL letter on Spouse status

fayebelief

Sep 23, 2019
Any of you know what is going on my case? I am really worried.

I am applying PR with Express Entry and got my ITA in Apr and submit all my documents in June.
I am married for 4 years and I applied PR by not taking my spouse, but I report to CIC that I have a spouse but just not accompany me to get the PR. My spouse also did Med and Criminal check. Actually my spouse is in Canada and was just graduated from school in May and applying PGWP in May. I didn't lie about this, I also submit all our family tax assessment.

Recently I got a prodedure fairness letter (PFL), which is very frustrating moment. The VO doubt my application by not taking my spouse. The VO said that the reason that I am not taking my spouse to Express Entry is to get a higher score in ITA. Then VO gave me 2 days to reply and send the supporting document to express the reason why I am not taking my spouse.

I submitted my explanation in 2 days for Gods Sake!
I explained that my spouse do not want to apply PR for personal reason at moment of submission, I gave lots of reasons for that since it is my spouse' s personal decision.
Now I am sooooo worried about my status. I did not lie on anything and my documents are all genuine. I don't get it. Do couples need to apply together? and 2 DAYs .....? I feel the VO really do not like me. He/She sent in the letter on Sunday...

I am soooo worried now. It has been 1 week since I submit my explanation and no updates so far.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

I am applying PR with Express Entry and got my ITA in Apr and submit all my documents in June.
I am married for 4 years and I applied PR by not taking my spouse, but I report to CIC that I have a spouse but just not accompany me to get the PR. My spouse also did Med and Criminal check. Actually my spouse is in Canada and was just graduated from school in May and applying PGWP in May. I didn't lie about this, I also submit all our family tax assessment.

Recently I got a prodedure fairness letter (PFL), which is very frustrating moment. The VO doubt my application by not taking my spouse. The VO said that the reason that I am not taking my spouse to Express Entry is to get a higher score in ITA. Then VO gave me 2 days to reply and send the supporting document to express the reason why I am not taking my spouse.

I explained that my spouse do not want to apply PR for personal reason at moment of submission, I gave lots of reasons for that since it is my spouse' s personal decision.
Now I am sooooo worried about my status. I did not lie on anything and my documents are all genuine. I don't get it. Do couples need to apply together? and 2 DAYs .....? I feel the VO really do not like me. He/She sent in the letter on Sunday...

I am soooo worried now. It has been 1 week since I submit my explanation and no updates so far.
Nothing you can do but wait. It seems that IRCC is cracking down on people putting spouses as non-accompanying in order to increase their score to get an ITA, particularly when the spouse is already in Canada and there does not appear to be any other justifiable reason for being non-accompanying.

Reactions: hypervariate123

Deep161926

Sep 24, 2019

Did you mentioned your reasons during the application submission?

navinball

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2018
was your score below cut off if your spouse accompanied? if yes then obviously you did that to increase score. if not then you can simply tell the vo that you would have gotten invite even if spouse accompanying.

Aryan2209

Sep 23, 2019

Hi.. understand it’s very tense situation for you... any update on your file? Please advice I am in same situation

fayebelief

Sep 23, 2019
Hi.. understand it’s very tense situation for you... any update on your file? Please advice I am in same situation
thanks for understanding. Are you getting the same letter? to be honest I really don't know, I asked my agent for help at that moment. I suggest you find a lawyer and have them draft the letter with you together.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
thanks for understanding. Are you getting the same letter? to be honest I really don't know, I asked my agent for help at that moment. I suggest you find a lawyer and have them draft the letter with you together.
It might have been different if your spouse was not already in Canada. However, as they are, having them marked as "non-accompanying" is simply "gaming the system" because they are effectively "accompanying" anyway. They will be with you in Canada and there is no practical difference.

Update: I found this definition in an IRCC guide, which may indicate how IRCC views this.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-6000-convention-refugees-abroad-humanitarian-protected-persons-abroad.html

What is the difference between an accompanying family member and a non-accompanying member?
Accompanying family member: A family member who plans to come to Canada at the same time as the PA.

Non-accompanying family member: A family member who has been separated from the family and is not able to, or choose not to, accompany the PA to Canada when the application was processed.

Last edited:

fayebelief

Sep 23, 2019
It might have been different if your spouse was not already in Canada. However, as they are, having them marked as "non-accompanying" is simply "gaming the system" because they are effectively "accompanying" anyway. They will be with you in Canada and there is no practical difference.

Update: I found this definition in an IRCC guide, which may indicate how IRCC views this.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-6000-convention-refugees-abroad-humanitarian-protected-persons-abroad.html

What is the difference between an accompanying family member and a non-accompanying member?
Accompanying family member: A family member who plans to come to Canada at the same time as the PA.

Non-accompanying family member: A family member who has been separated from the family and is not able to, or choose not to, accompany the PA to Canada when the application was processed.

Thanks for replying.
So does that mean I have to accompany my spouse when I am applying the PR? As soon as the spouse is with me in Canada now?
And I can not apply along?

that just doesn't make sense to me.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thanks for replying.
So does that mean I have to accompany my spouse when I am applying the PR? As soon as the spouse is with me in Canada now?
And I can not apply along?

that just doesn't make sense to me.
I think that if your spouse is already in Canada and is likely to remain so, IRCC’s probably expecting you to have them as "accompanying", as there is no obvious reason for them not to be. You are ONLY marking them as "non-accompanying" for the extra 40 automatic points, and that's not how the system is intended to be used.

NivedhithaCibi

Jul 22, 2019
Surrey
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
20-09-2021
Passport Req..
03-03-2022