+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Petroleum engineering degree

m.abdinasir

Aug 29, 2018
Hello everyone ,

I currently hold a petroleum engineering masters degree from the UK. I’m trying to find a job related to my degree but finding it really hard. Anyone can lead me to the right direction?
Thanks a lot

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Alberta is the centre of the Canadian energy industry. Finding a job will be difficult as oil prices have collapsed and unemployment is high. An employer needs to prove they couldn't hire locally before sponsoring you for a work permit. They will prioritize Canadians with Canadian work experience.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone ,

I currently hold a petroleum engineering masters degree from the UK. I’m trying to find a job related to my degree but finding it really hard. Anyone can lead me to the right direction?
Thanks a lot
Do you have PR yet? If not, focus on becoming a PR first. I don't think there's any chance you're going to be able to secure a job offer or work permit in this industry as a foreign worker.

m.abdinasir

Aug 29, 2018
Alberta is the centre of the Canadian energy industry. Finding a job will be difficult as oil prices have collapsed and unemployment is high. An employer needs to prove they couldn't hire locally before sponsoring you for a work permit. They will prioritize Canadians with Canadian work experience.
thing is I already have a one year EIC. So I am able to use that. so I guess I wouldn’t need any sponsorship at the moment. Finding it hard to find a position in the industry

m.abdinasir

Aug 29, 2018
Do you have PR yet? If not, focus on becoming a PR first. I don't think there's any chance you're going to be able to secure a job offer or work permit in this industry as a foreign worker.
thing is I already have a one year EIC. So I am able to use that. so I guess I wouldn’t need any sponsorship at the moment. Finding it hard to find a position in the industry

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Good that you have an open work permit. I assume you are already in Canada?

This industry has collapsed. Unfortunately jobs are very hard to come by.

I would recommend applying for jobs directly through company websites in the industry and hope you get lucky. Unfortunately many companies have hirign freezes right now or are only allowing internal hires. It's a very tough time right now.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you are looking to work in oil and gas wouldn’t really recommend coming to Canada especially if you have a job elsewhere. Tons of oil and gas workers who have been unemployed for a long time.