+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

petition to the minister of safety (security screening).

salis

Mar 26, 2017
Done

One thing that I would like to discuss through this petition is that each VO should help provide guidelines whereby they have processed applications faster than normal processesing time. I know each case is unique, however, if there is no red flags and all conditions have been fulfilled so why is one takes 12 months or more and one can go through in mere under 6 months.

Reactions: strength2

JulianaAndrew

Feb 14, 2017
Colombia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Bogota
App. Filed.......
26-07-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A and PCC: 01-09-2017
AOR Received.
AOR1: 01-09-2017, AOR2: 19-09-2017
File Transfer...
15-09-2017
Med's Request
02-01-2018
Med's Done....
23-01-2018
Interview........
06-12-2017 - Passed
Passport Req..
06-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2018
LANDED..........
10-03-2018
Done

One thing that I would like to discuss through this petition is that each VO should help provide guidelines whereby they have processed applications faster than normal processesing time. I know each case is unique, however, if there is no red flags and all conditions have been fulfilled so why is one takes 12 months or more and one can go through in mere under 6 months.
Hi there. Their target is applications processed within 6 months for straight forward cases. This means if there are no delays on anything, they should be processed within that time. Sometimes (I've seen it a lot) people don't respond quickly when they are asked for additional documents, or their cases are not that simple. It seems to me like a big number of the applications are processed around the 6 months target. For example, background check and criminality can take longer than usual for a person, so that delays the process. It also depends on the VO, and the number of applications they're getting, and how equipped they are to process them. Maybe some are understaffed, so it takes more time as well.

Reactions: Upthere-somewhere

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
Ooooooooooooofff

So, so, so much of that is just fundamentally - wrong. And the parts which are 'calling for', rather than false facts, have ridiculous implications.

'Outland Spousal Sponsorship process takes more than a year, even up to 3 years'
For some people. Others are done in mere months. This is extremely weaselly wording, wrongly implying that all outland applicants wait a minimum of a year.
'As young professionals, most sponsors have little vacation time to be with their spouse'
A very great many sponsors sponsoring their spouses are not young, are not professionals, or do not live in Canada.
'Sponsored persons cannot come to Canada as visitor visas are rejected'
Again, for some national origins, on their average. Lots, and lots, and lots of spouses are visiting, even living and working in Canada while they wait - some of them being from visa-exempt countries, some of them successfully getting visas or permits. The ones who are refused come from countries with high rates of overstay, who can't demonstrate an attachment to that country - so are unlikely to meet visa conditions.
'The separation of newly married couples is impacting their physical and mental health, putting their family and career life in danger'
Really, really not. Many of the couples could live together in another country, whether it's their shared country of origin, or their partner's country while they wait. For those who can't, getting married knowing they were in different countries was a choice. Their choice.

'If the security screening is taking more than 6 months, together with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, issue a dual-intent visitor visa or super visa for spouse.'
.... think about this one for a moment. Seriously. You're calling on the government to let people into the country, if their application is taking a long time because the security services aren't sure it's safe to let them into the country.

This petition is awful - there is an argument to be made for speeding up processing, but that's why the reforms took place 10 months ago, and soon we're going to be able to see how it's going, when the real life processing times can be put against the 1 year target. As things stand, this is the wrong time, and very much the wrong set of arguments.

HeyKenGuy

Mar 10, 2017
Vancouver
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Manila
App. Filed.......
04/04/2017
Doc's Request.
n/a
AOR Received.
04/27/2017
File Transfer...
06/01/2017
Med's Request
05/01/2017
Med's Done....
05/04/2017:Meds Passed 05/12/2017
This petition is awful - there is an argument to be made for speeding up processing,
I agree. This petition just reads like a high school students social studies assignment that was rushed and completed the night before it was due

new changes to the sponsorship process was just implemented less than a year ago. give it a chance and see how it does in a few years time then see what can be improved

Reactions: spousalsponsee

salis

Mar 26, 2017
From my understanding and in light of this forum we can confirm each VO around the globe has completed a sponsorship application from begin to end within 6 months. Maybe not that many.

My point is straightforward after meeting all the requirements and no action is required on the applicant or sponsor. Though each case is unique I am only talking about same level of applications (for example no travel history no criminal record, genuine relationship basically no red flag) so why one is done in less than 6 month and others are going pass 12 months.

Despite each VO has different volume of applications I just feel they’re some bad apples in this whole process that are just lazy and couldn’t careless.

Reactions: naz-y

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yep - terrible petition. Also obviously written by someone who has absolutely no clue how the security screenings work. You can't limit security screenings to six months - they take as long as they take. It will never be considered based on that demand alone.

Tons of outland applications are processed in well less than a year. So that info is highly misrepresented.

Unfortunately quite the fail. I feel bad for the MP backing it. Doesn't make her look very good (her people obviously didn't do the research required before recommending she support this).

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Given recent events in Canada and the circumstances that led to criticism of the security screening of refugees, anyone who thinks the federal government would even consider reducing or waiving security screening is dreaming. Talk about bad timing for a petition in reduced security checks..........o_O

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Given recent events in Canada and the circumstances that led to criticism of the security screening of refugees, anyone who thinks the federal government would even consider reducing or waiving security screening is dreaming. Talk about bad timing for a petition in reduced security checks..........o_O
Totally agree. FAIL.

salis

Mar 26, 2017
Anyone that feels the petition is weak or poorly presented should make an effort and collaborate for betterment.

Kudos to everyone that set the ball rolling.

You and I know that the process is broken when it doesn’t take into consideration that not everyone will know the ins and outs of this cumbersome process and potentially making it impossible for families to reunite.

JulianaAndrew

Feb 14, 2017
Colombia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Bogota
App. Filed.......
26-07-2017
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
15-09-2017
Med's Request
02-01-2018
Med's Done....
23-01-2018
Interview........
06-12-2017 - Passed
Passport Req..
06-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2018
LANDED..........
10-03-2018
Totally agreed and every type of sponsorship deserves equal priority.
Spousal, common-law, conjugal partner and dependent children sponsorship have the highest priority. If every stream had equal priority, the processing times would be higher. In addition to that, sponsoring a brother wouldn't be as important as sponsoring a partner. The last one would have better prospects in Canada, being able to grow a new family, kids, etc. That is more convenient, not only for the government, but for all Canada. I don't think every type of sponsorship should have equal priority, the way it is now is appropriate.

Reactions: jman25

JulianaAndrew

Feb 14, 2017
Colombia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Bogota
App. Filed.......
26-07-2017
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
15-09-2017
Med's Request
02-01-2018
Med's Done....
23-01-2018
Interview........
06-12-2017 - Passed
Passport Req..
06-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2018
LANDED..........
10-03-2018
You and I know that the process is broken when it doesn’t take into consideration that not everyone will know the ins and outs of this cumbersome process and potentially making it impossible for families to reunite.
I do not think the process is broken. If one does the research and homework, one will know how the process is and will have realistic expectations. One will know if one has a simple case or not, and will know what to expect according to that. I see a lot of people on the forum who do not do the research, and are completely lost about the process.
Also, it doesn't make it potentially impossible for families to reunite, it is exactly the opposite to that.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
But I don't feel it's broken! Given they processed 40,767 spousal sponsorships (source:2015 open government facts and figures), the percentage of people facing delays is comparatively small. That doesn't indicate a process in need of review or overhaul. It just represents those who had poor applications, questionable motive or processes that require additional time (probably due to some third party supplier or foreign government). Considering the total applications for 2015 ( and I suspect 2016-2017 will be higher) is 149,528 applicant (that doesn't include visa applicants), the system, although not perfect seems to work pretty well. Those who expect perfection from a bureaucracy are fooling themselves.
Generally, as with most things, only those who don't fall into standard processing times voice their concerns. Those who do have applications processed within those time tend to continue about their business without posting the success to a forum. The bad results (and the criticism that follows) will always outway the good results.

inlandPRfeb17

Star Member
Sep 22, 2017
Spousal, common-law, conjugal partner and dependent children sponsorship have the highest priority. If every stream had equal priority, the processing times would be higher. In addition to that, sponsoring a brother wouldn't be as important as sponsoring a partner. The last one would have better prospects in Canada, being able to grow a new family, kids, etc. That is more convenient, not only for the government, but for all Canada. I don't think every type of sponsorship should have equal priority, the way it is now is appropriate.
i was talking about the inland and outland spousal sponsorship. they both should be given equal priorities...