+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Personal Experience

despacito2017

Star Member
Oct 4, 2017
The best action you can possibly take while you are simultaneously applying for jobs is to "upgrade" your skills. Take a local course, even if its a subject you have decades of experience in. It might sound silly, but even having the most basic local certificate from an educational institution a recruiter is familiar with can make a difference.

The other factor is don't let the employment situation impact your mental health. Look for jobs every day for a set number of hours but don't let it overshadow everything.

blahblah42

Feb 6, 2020
The best action you can possibly take while you are simultaneously applying for jobs is to "upgrade" your skills. Take a local course, even if its a subject you have decades of experience in. It might sound silly, but even having the most basic local certificate from an educational institution a recruiter is familiar with can make a difference.

The other factor is don't let the employment situation impact your mental health. Look for jobs every day for a set number of hours but don't let it overshadow everything.
the poster is from finance field, i think in finance field is usually the tenure of courses is 1+ years.

kabayan

Apr 28, 2010
CANADA
Visa Office......
london
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-20-2010
Doc's Request.
10-18-2010; 2nd(September 2014)
AOR Received.
1st 10-18-2010; 2nd(London VO) 06-16-2011
IELTS Request
10-29/30-2010
File Transfer...
May 2012
Med's Request
October 2014
Med's Done....
October 2014
Interview........
N/a
Passport Req..
21-Nov-2014 ADVO RCvD on 23-Nov-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Dec-2014
LANDED..........
Jan 2015
I also just want to share my story which I hope helps someone else who is either in a similar situation or are thinking of moving to Canada right now.

I gave up my job back home at the end of February (I gave two months' notice in December, so couldn't change my plans), sold my car and other goods, and booked my flights. So, there was no turning back at this stage, plus I’ve already put in so much effort and money to obtain my Canadian permanent residence.

After a more than 39h journey (including a 9h in layovers), I landed in Vancouver, just in time before everything was locked down. I'm in, the worst part is over I thought! But little did I know how protracted this pandemic will be and how much economic uncertainty it will bring. Canada’s unemployment rate increased to 13.7% from 5.6% pre-pandemic, and 3m fewer Canadians held jobs by the end of April.

Five months have passed since my arrival. I’ve made new friends and managed to explore my newly adopted city. Vancouver has so much to offer, beaches, mountains, efficient public transport (you don’t need a car for the most part). However, all of this means nothing if you don’t have a steady income.

After applying for upwards of 50 jobs, going on numerous interviews, I am still without stable employment. I’ve even been to the final interview stages, just to be told they no longer wish to fill the vacancy. My hopes were crushed, and I started to seriously doubt my prospects and abilities. Is my international experience of little value here? Do I go back? Will I ever build a successful career here so I can at least afford a decent lifestyle? Vancouver’s is not a cheap city to live in.

So where to from here? I haven’t thrown the towel in yet, but what happens over the next few months is crucial. If it doesn’t work out, at least I know I’ve tried my best. But still, I’ve moved here for a reason and, sadly, I might have to give up my hopes.

This is a summary of the situation I’m in and if you have anything to add or have a similar story to share, please reach out.
From one Immigrant to another, here are my suggestions based on my experience;
1. Contact friends and family who are currently in Canada and let them know you are looking for a job. There are a lot of unadvertised jobs out there. If you met new people in Vancouver, explain to them your situation and ask for referrals if possible.
2. Connect to people via Linked In.
3. Find a non-profit organization or government funded settlement services in your area. There are organizations who help new immigrants connect to employers.
4. Consider a career change? Find out what the employment requirements in the neighbourhood are. Consider getting a certification as well if not in your line of study, but within allied courses.

The first 2-3 years is hard. You will need to find your way or your place in Canada. Even without the pandemic, getting into the job market and into your line of work without a solid Canadian experience is tough. You just need to find your niche and work your way through it.

Take care and best of luck!

Reactions: brentmrcs

blahblah42

Feb 6, 2020
From one Immigrant to another, here are my suggestions based on my experience;
1. Contact friends and family who are currently in Canada and let them know you are looking for a job. There are a lot of unadvertised jobs out there. If you met new people in Vancouver, explain to them your situation and ask for referrals if possible.
2. Connect to people via Linked In.
3. Find a non-profit organization or government funded settlement services in your area. There are organizations who help new immigrants connect to employers.
4. Consider a career change? Find out what the employment requirements in the neighbourhood are. Consider getting a certification as well if not in your line of study, but within allied courses.

The first 2-3 years is hard. You will need to find your way or your place in Canada. Even without the pandemic, getting into the job market and into your line of work without a solid Canadian experience is tough. You just need to find your niche and work your way through it.

Take care and best of luck!
Can you find in job in Canada without networking (points 1 and 2) ? I am planning to migrate, and am open to any job. But I don't have networking.

kabayan

Apr 28, 2010
CANADA
Visa Office......
london
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-20-2010
Doc's Request.
10-18-2010; 2nd(September 2014)
AOR Received.
1st 10-18-2010; 2nd(London VO) 06-16-2011
IELTS Request
10-29/30-2010
File Transfer...
May 2012
Med's Request
October 2014
Med's Done....
October 2014
Interview........
N/a
Passport Req..
21-Nov-2014 ADVO RCvD on 23-Nov-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Dec-2014
LANDED..........
Jan 2015
Can you find in job in Canada without networking (points 1 and 2) ? I am planning to migrate, and am open to any job. But I don't have networking.
Yes you can still find a job. Depending on your field of work or study there are ways to find the job market. Indeed.ca is a good indicator, but quite competitive.

There are also non-profits here who help new immigrants either creating a CV for the Canadian market, find a job, provide necessary training, connect with companies etc.

Reactions: blahblah42

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Much easier to find a job if skills are in demand and Canada has problems filling the jobs with their own graduates. Many IT workers will easily find jobs for that reason. Low paying jobs or jobs that Canadians don’t have the stomach to do like food processing are other jobs easy to get. The hiring process in Canada for most office jobs tends to be quite a long process. Given the current environment there will be hiring freezes in many industries and employers will be reluctant to make any big staffing changes.