+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PERSONAL EXPERIENCE- consulate and border

rayal

Oct 13, 2009
Praise the Lord almighty. All's over now. The process right from the get go was easy and simple. would have received it last month or 2 months ago if I did not delay in sending my medicals in on time (past the 2 or 3 month period given) as well as sending the official IELTS result- rather than a copy of the receipt of the test taken and requesting IELTS to send them a copy. All in all, it took me 10 months when it normally takes 8 months. Application mailed 1st week of January this year.

- letter from Buffalo arrives within 10 months asking me to send passport for immigration visa and CONFIRMATION OF PERMANENT RESIDENCE by mail or come in person
- Took the option of going to Buffalo by the end of the period (one month) given in the letter to get the landed immigrant visa
- Left for Thursday which is one of the days consulate issues them
- 7:30 or few minutes later they take applicants to the office
- When arrived they asked just for the passport, 3 pics and letter
- asked to come back in an hour
- Came in 45 minutes and picked up the visa- one time entry valid for 9 months
- double checked name, dates, etc on CIC generic document- CONFIRMATION OF PERMANENT RESIDENCE- required by CIC officer at border for stamp. Shows PR valid till December, 2016
- They asked to wait for 3 hours if planning to cross the border right away. Takes time to get centralised into system.
- Said arriving by car into the country from US is fine to land in Canada, then getting back to the US and finally back into Canada by car only.
- However if arriving into Canada by flight then require PR card even if arrived earlier into Canada by car to be landed
- Best option is to get landed by flight than by car to avoid any problems

At border:
- arrived into Toronto City airport
- mentioned to immigration officer (female bilingual Caucasian) that I have a valid post secondary work permit, was in Buffalo last week to receive my immigrant visa and would like to now land as a permanent immigrant here
- She asked to wait in another line for another immigration officer. This was the same area for customs inspections as well.
- The designated immigration officer there took my CONFIRMATION OF PERMANENT RESIDENCE paper and passport. Asked jokingly if this is what I want for sure. I said yes of course!
- he took away all my work permit and study permit docs attached in the passport
- Asked me to place my initials in a couple of areas of that doc (no one traveling with me on my PR, no criminal record and no money brought in)
- Asked me to sign carefully below on green line and within box (to appear on card)
- asked me if the address appearing on the paper is where I will be residing for the next couple of months as this is where the PR card will arrive - 4 to 6 weeks
- He attached a smaller copy of the record of the CONFIRMATION OF PERMANENT RESIDENCE onto my passport (with my flight number, date and time on) and instructed that I do not leave the country without my PR card to return back to Canada. If I travel to the US I do not need the card to get back
- He also stamped a special stamp with the date I arrived in Canada
- The officer asked me if I knew how to get a new sin# and health card. He went in to bring those instruction forms as well as a booklet on being a new PR to Canada
- Congratulated me and I thanked him (Asian male) for being polite and kind. He truly was very nice.
- I asked him if I would've left Buffalo to enter Niagara by car, get my papers stamped, go back to the US all by car and arrived here into the airport would there have been a problem- he said no as I am arriving from the US only and do not require my PR card.

DID NOT ASK FOR ANY SUPPORTING PAPERS OR DOCS!!!!!!!!!!!

mehdizflower

May 29, 2010
Congratulations!!!! God bless you! I have just one question for you..WHat is the timeline from the time you had your medical exam done and receiving any kind of acknowledgement letter regarding your approval?? Please help me on this...thank you

Gowri