+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permit expiring - continue working remotely?

Abz-Yyz

Jul 25, 2017
Hello, I'm hoping for some advice. I am currently on a IEC work permit visa and it expires in September. I will be returning to my home country - the U.K. when my work permit expires.

However - here's the problem - my current employer wants me to keep working for them remotely from the U.K.

Technically I won't be working IN Canada, but will this be a problem if my work permit has expired? I'm thinking tax and bank account implications, not to mention the legal work status.

Thank you for any help!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello, I'm hoping for some advice. I am currently on a IEC work permit visa and it expires in September. I will be returning to my home country - the U.K. when my work permit expires.

However - here's the problem - my current employer wants me to keep working for them remotely from the U.K.

Technically I won't be working IN Canada, but will this be a problem if my work permit has expired? I'm thinking tax and bank account implications, not to mention the legal work status.

Thank you for any help!
1. No, working remotely for a Canadian company from your home country, is not illegal.
2. If the employer pays you in Canada, then you have to file a tax return. If he pays you abroad, then you don't require a Canadian tax return, but will have to report the income on home income tax.

Jas_@

Nov 24, 2020
1. No, working remotely for a Canadian company from your home country, is not illegal.
2. If the employer pays you in Canada, then you have to file a tax return. If he pays you abroad, then you don't require a Canadian tax return, but will have to report the income on home income tax.
Hi,

I have a similar question to work from outside Canada. But my case is that I will graduate next month and plan to travel back to my home country and apply for PGWP there (outside Canada). Is it legal to work from my home country while waiting for my PGWP being approved for one month or two?

(The company will pay to my bank account in Canada.)