+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permenant resident without OHIP

leem

May 12, 2014
Hello everyone,
appreciate the nice discussions that most of you are doing in answering,
our situation is as follows, me, my husband and daughter landed in Ontario last year, and we get the PR, and now that am pregnant and my due date is on Sep 2014, we are planning to settle for good. my question:
1. Suppose i was in Canada in the beginning of Aug 2014, and we will apply for OHIP, when i deliver my baby, can i refund the delivery amount after getting the OHIP card?
2. would they ask me anything in the insurance office that where were we before (despite that we were working outside Canada, and it wasn't easy to leave)?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. No - OHIP won't refund your delivery costs.
2. I'm sorry - I don't understand this question.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
leem said:
2. would they ask me anything in the insurance office that where were we before (despite that we were working outside Canada, and it wasn't easy to leave)?
I believe your question pertains to whether they will question you when you submit your OHIP application about your arrival date, and where you have been residing. The answer is yes. You will have to show them proof of when you arrived in Ontario, and proof of residence in Ontario.

leem

May 12, 2014
Thank you for your response. my main worry is to deliver my baby in canada but the problem is my husband will need another 6 months to move to canada for good.

What do you recommend? Shall I come and apply for the OHIP now and come back and then go after 3 months for delivery (by that time the insurance should be ready I suppose).

OR

shall I only come 1 month before delivery and apply for OHIP and risk paying the delivery cost if they didn't refund me my money?

Please advise..

Thanks again

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you want OHIP to pay for your delivery, then you will need to return to Canada at least three months before your delivery date and then live in Canada for these three months (you can't leave and return to your home country). To qualify for OHIP, you need three months of residency in Canada. So you can't just come to Canada, apply for OHIP, leave, and then return to deliver your baby. You need to return to Canada and remain in Canada.

If you return one month before delivery then you should expect to have to pay for the costs of the delivery on your own.

It is your choice what you decide to do.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
leem said:
Thank you for your response. my main worry is to deliver my baby in canada but the problem is my husband will need another 6 months to move to canada for good.

What do you recommend? Shall I come and apply for the OHIP now and come back and then go after 3 months for delivery (by that time the insurance should be ready I suppose).

OR

shall I only come 1 month before delivery and apply for OHIP and risk paying the delivery cost if they didn't refund me my money?

Please advise..

Thanks again
Is there a reason why you need to move to Ontario?

You could have select a province (such as Alberta) which do not have waiting period for provincial health coverage!

arturdilanyan

Jun 3, 2019
Hello , I sponsored my wife and she got Immigrant Visa and planing to come to Canada at the end of June. We have an issue , the problem is that she is pregnant and going to give a birth in the beginning of October. After she land to Canada Ontario she will have nearly 3 months before she will give a birth.

1. Will we be covered by OHIP or She will need to wait 3 months before she will get the OHIP?

2. After She will get the OHIP( after 3 months) OHIP will cover her birth expenses or there is some rule to wait 153 days?

3. If somehow she will not get the OHIP before giving the birth do we need to pay from our pocket and if Yes Ontario will refund that cost to me?

Thank You

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello , I sponsored my wife and she got Immigrant Visa and planing to come to Canada at the end of June. We have an issue , the problem is that she is pregnant and going to give a birth in the beginning of October. After she land to Canada Ontario she will have nearly 3 months before she will give a birth.

1. Will we be covered by OHIP or She will need to wait 3 months before she will get the OHIP?

2. After She will get the OHIP( after 3 months) OHIP will cover her birth expenses or there is some rule to wait 153 days?

3. If somehow she will not get the OHIP before giving the birth do we need to pay from our pocket and if Yes Ontario will refund that cost to me?

Thank You
What is your status in Canada and what kind of visa/permit has your wife received?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Thank You
1. 3 months from the day she lands as a PR.

2. Expenses will be covered if she gives birth after getting OHIP.

3. You would need to pay and no, you will not be reimbursed.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am a Permanent Resident of Canada and she has received IM-1 visa, I have sponsored her through Family Class
Already answered. You'll have to pay for any check-ups, tests and potential hospitalizations before the 3 months. If she does give birth before OHIP a vaginal birth plus epidural is under 10K and a c-section is between 15K-20K.

arturdilanyan

Jun 3, 2019
And can You please advise me after my wife give a birth our baby becomes Permanent Resident cause both of us we are Permanent Residents or becomes Canadian citizen.
And my second question Does Ontario or Canada Government anyway supports our Baby our our family? If yes could You please give more information. Thank You

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
And can You please advise me after my wife give a birth our baby becomes Permanent Resident cause both of us we are Permanent Residents or becomes Canadian citizen.
And my second question Does Ontario or Canada Government anyway supports our Baby our our family? If yes could You please give more information. Thank You
Yes the child will receive citizenship irregardless of whether you have to pay for the birth or not. These questions are easy to google. Thee government currently provides some income based payments to offset the high cost of raising a child in Canada. These payments are dependent on you and your wife being tax residents of Canada and your child living with you. Depending on the province you may receive other payments and/or help with the high cost of daycare. These payments are also subject to change (or to be eliminated) especially with each election.