+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permenant Resident renewal

hwyf

May 21, 2011
Hi there,

I landed on october 2003, then i have renewed my PR on 2008, i left Canada on October 2008, then come back to Canada on Sept. 2011, i am staying on the moment on Canada.I want to Sponsor my kid who was born outside Canada, but actually for last 5 years ( as of today ) i am not meet 730 days yet, and my PR expiry date will be on Sept.2013. so, Can i apply for kid Sponsorship or it'll be against the roles? and they will reject it due to i am not staying for 2 years on last five years ?? and What about my PR status on that case ?

thanks for your help

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You could run into trouble if you apply for sponsorship now. This happened to a woman who tried to sponsor her husband and son. She was called in for an interview because she did not meet the residency requirements herself. However, I do not know how it went because she did not post about it again.

hwyf

May 21, 2011
Thanks Leaon for your answer, yes i am following Ms Farid status, but the differance is that, i am still have some time for PR expiry, and you did not give me the reaosn of trouble !! is it because i am not meet the 730 days on last five years, ?? although i still have enough time up to PR expiry date to meet this condition ?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It seems that you have misunderstood the residency requirements. The requirements must not just be filled within each 5 year PR card period. They must also be filled in any rolling 5 year period. Say if someone landed in 2003, he spends one year in Canada, then leaves for 3, then spends one again and renews his PR card in 2008 having spent the required 2 years. Now he leaves again for 3 years. His PR card is valid but he does not meet the residency requirements any more. If he loses his PR card at this point while being outside Canada and has to apply for a travel document to go back, it will not be granted because at this time, looking at the past 5 years, he was only in Canada for 1. He is therefore in breech of the requirements. However, if he doesn't lose his PR card, he will most likely be able to get back in with his still valid card and will be able to renew it normally once he has the 2 years.

hwyf

May 21, 2011
Thank you for your reply, actually i have shocked, this statement will destoy all plans.
Thanks for your help

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you stay, in Sept. 2013, you will meet the requirements again and can renew your PR card and apply to sponsor your kid.

hwyf

May 21, 2011
Fine, ill do. But i can leave Canada and comeback without any trouble ? Especially i have to see my wife, kids, family.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Every time you leave, you take a small risk that they will report you for not meeting the requirements when you return but if it is just a short vacation, it should be ok. The days you are on vacation will of course not count towards the 730 days you must stay in Canada in order to meet the residency requirements.