+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanently leaving Canada just after submitting my citizenship application

vivek.89

Star Member
Dec 29, 2016
Personally I get why people may want it but getting it when you have no desire to live here doesn’t really seem right.

Quite a skewed perspective. As long as immigrants are paying their taxes on time and earning citizenship + nationality, what they do beyond is frankly their business and not subject to morals or ethics. Considering they haven't plundered or colonised the land, but have earned entry -residency-citizenship based on merit and contributing in legally acceptable ways, I think we are good. :)

While I totally agree with your point that citizenship and nationality cannot be subject to moral requirements and I also agree with the colonization of this land taken from natives-
1) Your choice to take citizenship of Canada is ironically willingly joining the colonizers and perpetuating their system of injustices.
2) And can we please get off the high horse of merit based legality- we all have perpetuated injustices in our own native lands knowingly or unknowingly through class/caste privileges.
We need to fight these injustices everywhere- not outdo one moral claim with another.

Reactions: PMV

PMV

Star Member
Mar 21, 2016
While I totally agree with your point that citizenship and nationality cannot be subject to moral requirements and I also agree with the colonization of this land taken from natives-
1) Your choice to take citizenship of Canada is ironically willingly joining the colonizers and perpetuating their system of injustices.
2) And can we please get off the high horse of merit based legality- we all have perpetuated injustices in our own native lands knowingly or unknowingly through class/caste privileges.
We need to fight these injustices everywhere- not outdo one moral claim with another.
Right. It is as similar as you and I speaking in English and being educated in english etc. The colonisation cesspool is quicksand, I do realise.

Don't know about you but I certainly don't care about getting on or off any sort of meritocratic or other high horse. Someone made a reckless remark, I replied to it. Easy peasy.

PMV

Star Member
Mar 21, 2016
However when the canned response is always “ paying their taxes” for whatever the reason someone wants something , it pretty well makes a complete joke out of the citizenship process
Paying taxes is a given, and it doesn’t make anyone “ special “ to the government
You're the only other person in MY LIFE (apart from myself) who I have noticed uses inverted commas instead of the usual apostrophe, to emphasises on certain words and terms.

Yes I agree with your point too. Can't be using the tax paying statement as a canned response. I think what's needed here is some communication from the IRCC so people's fears can be assuaged.

Reactions: FlyingLion

FlyingLion

Star Member
Aug 19, 2020
However when the canned response is always “ paying their taxes” for whatever the reason someone wants something , it pretty well makes a complete joke out of the citizenship process
Paying taxes is a given, and it doesn’t make anyone “ special “ to the government
I really don't get why you put so much emphasis on the paying taxes part and disregarded all the other points that he made but ok...

Last edited:

medic.

Aug 5, 2019
I was born in Canada. I have no issue with someone who leaves and gets their citizenship. It has no bearing on anything. I'm glad they want to go home and still become Canadian. I'm proud to share my country with everyone who wants to experience every part of it.

There's nothing about this situation that upsets me, or feels shifty.

Become Canadian and welcome to the club no matter where you are.

prash42

Jun 1, 2014
if Canada wants immigrants to live here longer, rules can be simply changed from 5year to 20years to acquire citizenship.

the reason Canada government doesn't do that is because, if that's the case, much fewer people would migrate to Canada. people would go to Australia, New Zealand, US,etc. and Canada population would shrink with less and less labor...

immigration is essential to Canada

it's all about balancing its policy with other countries' immigration policy.
Well said. The relationship between country and immigrant is symbiotic. Attaching complicated conditions to continued citizenship is an outdated perspective, and would not be a winning strategy. Canada, to its credit, really understands that it is better to be a magnet than a handcuff.

Reactions: FlyingLion

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I was born in Canada. I have no issue with someone who leaves and gets their citizenship. It has no bearing on anything. I'm glad they want to go home and still become Canadian. I'm proud to share my country with everyone who wants to experience every part of it.

There's nothing about this situation that upsets me, or feels shifty.

Become Canadian and welcome to the club no matter where you are.
Not sure why you are ok with this. It creates huge potential liabilities for Canada and the Canadian tax payers for 3 years of being a taxpayer. It allows people to return to retire in Canada, access healthcare or send their children for subsidized education. When there is a war or natural disaster Canada needs to provide assistance. The intent to remain in Canada was a reaction to how many people signed up to be rescued from Lebanon during the Harper era and many had never lived in Canada.

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
Not sure why you are ok with this. It creates huge potential liabilities for Canada and the Canadian tax payers for 3 years of being a taxpayer. It allows people to return to retire in Canada, access healthcare or send their children for subsidized education. When there is a war or natural disaster Canada needs to provide assistance. The intent to remain in Canada was a reaction to how many people signed up to be rescued from Lebanon during the Harper era and many had never lived in Canada.
In one word you are saying Canada should create second class citizens who are not allowed to leave Canada even to take a career opportunity ( expatriation) outside the border? meanwhile, Canadian by birth can leave the country to make a career outside the border and that is ok? You do not know the reason why some people decide to move out of the border and stay in different countries. I personally know a Canadian by birth we first met in Africa ( working together in 2010) good friend, he lives in Uganda since 2012 married and has kids there never moved back here. You think if Uganda has any disaster or something the government should not help him too? or the government should just help him because of course, he is a Canadian by birth? I see now why some people are so terrorized by the idea to have a conservative in power.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
In one word you are saying Canada should create second class citizens who are not allowed to leave Canada even to take a career opportunity ( expatriation) outside the border? meanwhile, Canadian by birth can leave the country to make a career outside the border and that is ok? You do not know the reason why some people decide to move out of the border and stay in different countries. I personally know a Canadian by birth we first met in Africa ( working together in 2010) good friend, he leaves in Uganda since 2012 married and have kids there never moved back here. You think if Uganda has any disaster or something the government should not help me too? or the government should just help him because of course, he is a Canadian by birth? I see now why some people are so terrorized by the idea to have a conservative in power.
I was responding to someone who was supporting the ability for people to leave after applying for citizenship. Think that Canada needs to increase the amount of years before you can apply for citizenship so it is inline with other countries and require people to be still living in Canada to get citizenship. It is not a crazy concept given the potential costs that can be incurred if any of the citizens return to Canada for schooling, healthcare, etc.

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
I was responding to someone who was supporting the ability for people to leave after applying for citizenship. Think that Canada needs to increase the amount of years before you can apply for citizenship so it is inline with other countries and require people to be still living in Canada to get citizenship. It is not a crazy concept given the potential costs that can be incurred if any of the citizens return to Canada for schooling, healthcare, etc.
It does not matter how long( for the reason of staying in Canada after you are a citizen) someone needs to stay here before applying for citizenship, once someone is a citizen and there is a better opportunity in others countries they will always leave ( Do you know how many Canadians by birth live in the USA? ). Some immigrants cannot have jobs in their field and you think they will hesitate to move out of the country if they have a better job or career once they are Canadians just because they spent 7 years waiting time to apply for citizenship? Your concept of staying out of Canada I see can apply to Canadians by birth only? Increasing the waiting time to apply for citizenship will not solve this problem that is how I see it.

Reactions: CG7 and FlyingLion

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It does not matter how long( for the reason of staying in Canada after you are a citizen) someone needs to stay here before applying for citizenship, once someone is a citizen and there is a better opportunity in others countries they will always leave ( Do you know how many Canadians by birth live in the USA? ). Some immigrants cannot have jobs in their field and you think they will hesitate to move out of the country if they have a better job or career once they are Canadians just because they spent 7 years waiting time to apply for citizenship? Your concept of staying out of Canada I see can apply to Canadians by birth only? Increasing the waiting time to apply for citizenship will not solve this problem that is how I see it.
Yes but it will require people to at least pay more taxes until they leave which will offset any potential liabilities.

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
Yes but it will require people to at least pay more taxes until they leave which will offset any potential liabilities.
Copingwithlife said:

I copied the above from Copingwithlife, so don't be shocked when people ask for something from the government then.

FlyingLion

Star Member
Aug 19, 2020
If I was you, I would not be worried about if immigrants pay enough taxes or not, because they definitely do. You should be more worried about what "Trudeau and the gang" (and who ever come after them) do with the money. You are picking the wrong target. Reset and aim again...

Last edited:
Reactions: prash42

fr72

Jan 6, 2017
You are assuming that each immigrant who leaves did pay taxes. If an immigrant cannot find jobs in their field, how will they pay taxes? In fact, if a jobless immigrant stays in Canada for 7 years instead of 3, not only will they not pay any taxes, they will consume a lot more of government services.

The only way is to tax worldwide income for all citizens like USA does. But I know Conservatives wont support this, because this affects snowbirds and Canadian borns as well.

Anyway, the law is the law. Deal with it.

fr72

Jan 6, 2017
In one word you are saying Canada should create second class citizens who are not allowed to leave Canada even to take a career opportunity ( expatriation) outside the border? meanwhile, Canadian by birth can leave the country to make a career outside the border and that is ok? You do not know the reason why some people decide to move out of the border and stay in different countries. I personally know a Canadian by birth we first met in Africa ( working together in 2010) good friend, he lives in Uganda since 2012 married and has kids there never moved back here. You think if Uganda has any disaster or something the government should not help me too? or the government should just help him because of course, he is a Canadian by birth? I see now why some people are so terrorized by the idea to have a conservative in power.
Don't fall for the excuses about tax and benefits that these conservatives pretend to care about. They simply hate immigrants and want them to be 2nd class citizens.

If they really cared about fiscal issues, they would make Canadian citizens pay taxes on worldwide income regardless of residence, just like USA does. But this would mean that white Canadians who were born in Canada would also need to pay taxes, which of course, they dont want.

No. Conservatives want to control the actions of behavior of immigrants throughout their life and keep a track of how much money Canada is gaining and losing from each immigrant.

Meanwhile, if you are born in Canada, you can suck up education and health subsidies till you are 21, then fly off to US to work no problem. Come back when you are old, no problem.

Some of the senior members of the conservative party have done exactly this: Doug Ford, Caroline Mulroney both spent prime years working in US and are now back to live off a govt salary. Their PM candidate Scheer has dual US citizenship which he refused to give up. Not even their party leader is willing to let go of the option to go abroad for career prospects, but immigrants dare not do this!