+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanently leaving Canada just after submitting my citizenship application

fr72

Jan 6, 2017
The majority of new immigrants tend to be tax payers even if it may have taken a year to become established. In any group there are those that are happy to live off the state but I do beleive the majority are hard workers. The government is giving money left and right so most will qualify for at least CCB.
Haha! So when it suits your argument, you are even willing to concede that most immigrants are hard working tax payers! And yet you cheerlead laws that will make all of them 2nd class citizens. I also see you ignored the rest of my response.

Keep at it, you lot will lose the next election as well.

Last edited:

fr72

Jan 6, 2017
Basically, this is how they ended up having so many Chinese in Vancouver or Toronto that don't even speak English or French (I speak both by the way) but somehow hold a Canadian passport. This is also how the real estate market in those cities became out of reach for the middle class Canadian citizen. It is just funny to hear my white Canadian friends complaining about it...
And one day you wake up and you see this https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/vancouver-news/chinese-only-ads-skytrain-station-richmond-bc-2656150
Let's not blame immigrants for yet another ill of society. First of all, anyone can buy housing in Canada. Doesn't have to be an immigrant, it can be literally anyone - even a tourist. A lot of 'old stock' Canadians buy real estate in Florida on a tourist status btw. Most of the housing prices are driven by big companies called REITs and low interest rates.

As for those ads in Chinese, so what? How good is your Inuktitut or Ojibway? Why not ads in those too?

FlyingLion

Star Member
Aug 19, 2020
Let's not blame immigrants for yet another ill of society. First of all, anyone can buy housing in Canada. Doesn't have to be an immigrant, it can be literally anyone - even a tourist. A lot of 'old stock' Canadians buy real estate in Florida on a tourist status btw. Most of the housing prices are driven by big companies called REITs and low interest rates.

As for those ads in Chinese, so what? How good is your Inuktitut or Ojibway? Why not ads in those too?
I dont mind the ads to be honest and I care less if they are in Mandarin, Arabic or German etc... It was just an exemple I was giving about how the immigration rules sometimes are absurd because they don't necessarly appear within the society.

Last edited:
Reactions: fr72

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
REMINDER; In Effect a Second Reminder:

The OP and others are asking real questions about how to navigate the citizenship application process if circumstances or preferences might lead them to move abroad while the application is still pending.

The continuation of posts totally off topic, such as those immediately above, are so blatantly disruptive and a distraction, an inference of deliberate trolling may be warranted. Best to ignore. Which I realize I am not doing with this reminder. But it seems necessary to point out what appears to be the ill-motive and deliberate distraction intended, with perhaps a not particularly realistic optimism that they will take their off-topic interruptions elsewhere.

hungnguyen

Star Member
Feb 2, 2018
No, just make sure you can get here in time for test/oath......but those seem far away at the moment, probably will take several months or yrs.
Make sure you provide them an email address and a physical address too as sometimes they invite by mail
But i think u have alot of time before it would be processed anyway, so dont waste time and apply ASAP and then leave ASAP......
Thanks Canvis2006. In the case they invite by mail or communicate by mail, they will also update on ECAS so that applicant can know that to check mail. Is that correct?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Some countries offer citizenship/passport after paying a fee like Malta. You don't even have to have ever stepped foot in the country. Often around 1 million USD dollars (Malta is 650k euros). Would you be ok with this in theory since most Canadians won't pay that amount in taxes, even if they've been working in Canada for 30 years (at current median personal income levels). Some feel that puts a 'price' on citizenship like it's something that can be bought without regard for their appreciation of the home country, furthermore it really creates a second class of citizens since its not clear why people who were born in Canada (even to poor parents)have the privilege of not having to pay this 'citizenship' tax.
On the other side we could keep the rules as the same but let people claim more years of residency towards citizenship based on the net amount they contributed to Canada on a dollar figure. So if you came here as an immigrant and started making 150k+ (maybe tech job in Toronto/Vancouver) you can apply quicker than someone who has been here for 5 years making 50k (maybe as a part time live-in caregiver and social worker). However, is your contribution to Canadian society only based on the dollar amount you provided in taxes?
Most of the people who buy citizenship in Malta don’t ever live in Malta and the social support system is not as generous. There is more than just tax dollars at play. The longer people live in Canada the more connections they form, the more likely they are to remain in Canada longterm. Canada needs people to immigrate and remain in Canada. We don’t need people to view Canada as a 3 year commitment with no plans of remaining.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Haha! So when it suits your argument, you are even willing to concede that most immigrants are hard working tax payers! And yet you cheerlead laws that will make all of them 2nd class citizens. I also see you ignored the rest of my response.

Keep at it, you lot will lose the next election as well.
I have never said that immigrants are not hard workers so please don’t accuse me of something I didn’t say. I have only indicated that only working for 3 years does not offeset the potential liabilities for a lifetime of healthcare, schooling, etc. Having a “years to citizenship“ inline with other countries in no way makes people 2nd class citizens.

Luca07

Sep 4, 2020
This is pathetic, someone asked the question and didn't need you guys to be giving your opinions on whatever you think morally wrong he's/she's doing. Can you all get back to the topic and help out people who need answers or If any of you saw a similar case and the citizenship was not granted base on the fact that they didn't live in Canada while their application is getting processed? If you still want to argue on this topic, then please open another forum and go nuts in there,no one wants to hear your complaints, take it with Justin Trudeau for crying out loud!

• Angry
Reactions: BenLinus6

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This is pathetic, someone asked the question and didn't need you guys to be giving your opinions on whatever you think morally wrong he's/she's doing. Can you all get back to the topic and help out people who need answers or If any of you saw a similar case and the citizenship was not granted base on the fact that they didn't live in Canada while their application is getting processed? If you still want to argue on this topic, then please open another forum and go nuts in there,no one wants to hear your complaints, take it with Justin Trudeau for crying out loud!
Not sure why you feel the need to comment 6 months later. Public forum means that people can express their opinions. The answer was also provided based on current government. With an election likely this year and a pretty right leaning conservative candidate who knows what may happen in the future.