+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"Permanently" importing my car after an inland CoPR

clickityclack

Apr 24, 2020
Hello

I came to Canada in 2018 on Work Permit. At that time I brought my car with me from the US. I exported the car from the US, and then made a temporary import at the border. I.e. I did not pay anything to bring my car over with me. I was given some papers, which, I vaguely remember, have a note that I did not pay any duties/fees (not the $325 car import fee, not the GST/HST) and my car was not added onto the Registrar of Imported Vehicles. I've been told that I can't sell my car in Canada.

I have registered the car in BC, bought insurance and have been happily driving it here since then.

I have applied for a PR via Express Entry in 2019.
I have finally received my golden email from IRCC ("Congratulations, you are now a permanent resident!") about 2 weeks ago.

I understand I now can do a "permanent" import of the car into Canada and this will allow me to sell it here (not planning it right now, but maybe in a year or two).

From what I've read on this wonderful forum, before there was CoPR with the "virtual" landing, I could just go to an IRCC office for an interview, or to the border crossing and get all the paperwork I need for my car from there (I would still have to pay the $325 fee, but not GST/HST).

Does anyone know how do I handle this now, since IRCC is not conducting any interviews and the border is closed?

Sharot

Dec 22, 2019
Hello

I came to Canada in 2018 on Work Permit. At that time I brought my car with me from the US. I exported the car from the US, and then made a temporary import at the border. I.e. I did not pay anything to bring my car over with me. I was given some papers, which, I vaguely remember, have a note that I did not pay any duties/fees (not the $325 car import fee, not the GST/HST) and my car was not added onto the Registrar of Imported Vehicles. I've been told that I can't sell my car in Canada.

I have registered the car in BC, bought insurance and have been happily driving it here since then.

I have applied for a PR via Express Entry in 2019.
I have finally received my golden email from IRCC ("Congratulations, you are now a permanent resident!") about 2 weeks ago.

I understand I now can do a "permanent" import of the car into Canada and this will allow me to sell it here (not planning it right now, but maybe in a year or two).

From what I've read on this wonderful forum, before there was CoPR with the "virtual" landing, I could just go to an IRCC office for an interview, or to the border crossing and get all the paperwork I need for my car from there (I would still have to pay the $325 fee, but not GST/HST).

Does anyone know how do I handle this now, since IRCC is not conducting any interviews and the border is closed?
Hi clickityclack,

Congratulations on receiving your PR!

What Paper documents and formalities you did in order to take your Car to Canada by driving?

I also have a Temporary Work Permit and I am planning to take my car to Toronto from US.
Appreciate your response.

Thanks.