+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Worker vs Temporary Worker

daijia

Jan 29, 2018
Hi everyone,

I think I am bit lost with the term permanent worker and temporary worker.

Apparently, as far as immigration is concerned, temporary worker means someone who works with a work permit, while a permanent worker is recruited with the possibility that they can apply for PR Card. However, when it comes to job, permanent simply means that you can work until you get fired or you quit, while temporary contract would already have an end date.

Does employers in Canada even hire permanent worker directly ? I feel like everybody comes to Canada to work by applying for a work permit (and thus considered as temporary) even if they hold a permanent position.

If I have received a job offer that has no explicit end date (thus permanent), does that mean they can help me to apply for permanent residence ?

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone,

Apparently, as far as immigration is concerned, temporary worker means someone who works with a work permit, while a permanent worker is recruited with the possibility that they can apply for PR Card. However, when it comes to job, permanent simply means that you can work until you get fired or you quit, while temporary contract would already have an end date.

Does employers in Canada even hire permanent worker directly ? I feel like everybody comes to Canada to work by applying for a work permit (and thus considered as temporary) even if they hold a permanent position.

If I have received a job offer that has no explicit end date (thus permanent), does that mean they can help me to apply for permanent residence ?

Thanks!
What kind of work permit are you on? How are you planning on applying for PR?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
Yeah I get how this would be confusing.

In IRCC terms, “temporary worker” refers to foreign workers on work permits (hence temporary since there are no indefinite work permits).

“permanent worker” refers to the employer’s side, having an indefinite contract or job offer.

in most cases an LMIA would be needed for a permanent job offer to help with a PR application

daijia

Jan 29, 2018
Yeah I get how this would be confusing.

In IRCC terms, “temporary worker” refers to foreign workers on work permits (hence temporary since there are no indefinite work permits).

“permanent worker” refers to the employer’s side, having an indefinite contract or job offer.

in most cases an LMIA would be needed for a permanent job offer to help with a PR application
What kind of work permit are you on? How are you planning on applying for PR?
I am working under PGWP, but my job contract is permanente (in the sense that there is no predetermined end date. I can work until I am fired or I quit). So am I considered permanent or temporary?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am working under PGWP, but my job contract is permanente (in the sense that there is no predetermined end date. I can work until I am fired or I quit). So am I considered permanent or temporary?
If you are on a contract, then you would be considered as a temporary worker. If you are employed by the company (as an employee, without being on a contract), then you would be regarded as permanent.

For the purposes of claiming this as a job offer under Express Entry / Canadian Experience Class, the answer to that would be no since you are on a PGWP. To claim job offer points, your employer would need to get an approved LMIA. I'm not sure if that's the question you're really asking. It's not quite clear. If that's not the question, then can you clarify what is?

daijia

Jan 29, 2018
If you are on a contract, then you would be considered as a temporary worker. If you are employed by the company (as an employee, without being on a contract), then you would be regarded as permanent.

For the purposes of claiming this as a job offer under Express Entry / Canadian Experience Class, the answer to that would be no since you are on a PGWP. To claim job offer points, your employer would need to get an approved LMIA. I'm not sure if that's the question you're really asking. It's not quite clear. If that's not the question, then can you clarify what is?
Thank you very much! Sorry that I have posed a such unclear question because I am also confused myself.

Is the process of getting an LMIA an easy process for the company ? (I am a programmer so I am not really worried it will be denied). Do people usually do this to claim points in Express Entry ? (I am trying to know if this is a quite common process for a company whose employee is trying to immigrate)

Thanks a lot again!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you very much! Sorry that I have posed a such unclear question because I am also confused myself.

Is the process of getting an LMIA an easy process for the company ? (I am a programmer so I am not really worried it will be denied). Do people usually do this to claim points in Express Entry ? (I am trying to know if this is a quite common process for a company whose employee is trying to immigrate)

Thanks a lot again!
The LMIA must be obtained by the company / your employer - not you. It takes a fair amount of work and many companies aren't willing to go through the process. However it doesn't harm to ask. The first step is for the employer to advertise the job for at least a month to prove no Canadian could be hired. They must then submit the LMIA application and wait a few months to see if it will be approved. I'm not sure I would say it's common form companies to go through this process. As said before, there are many companies who won't do this. But if you want to claim the 50 job offer points, you need an approved LMIA.

Reactions: bellaluna