+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Residents had baby abroad - how to apply?

michelle1977

Oct 30, 2010
Hi, I posted this in the general topic form, but no reply so far, so I'm trying again here.

My husband and I are permanent residents through the Skiller Worker Class. I had a baby in the Netherlands a few months ago. The baby is now a Dutch citizen. We are returing to Canada next year, together with our other 2 children (who were born in Canada and have dual citizenship). How do we apply for permanent residence for our baby? Is it under the Family Class?

And where do we apply? Most likely we will be moving back to Canada before the process is finished. We have a mailing address in Canada. Could we apply as if we're in Canada? That would seem a faster option.

Thanks for your help.

Michelle

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can bring your child into Canada with you being from a visa exempt country. Then submit the sponsorship application to CPC Mississauga. If the child is permitted entry for one year in Canada the processing can be done at Buffalo visa office, submitted via courier.

michelle1977

Oct 30, 2010
Thanks for your reply. So do we indeed apply under the Family Class Sponsorship?

Also, is there a chance that our baby will be denied at the border when we re-enter Canada as he is at risk of overstaying his visa?

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
michelle1977 said:
Thanks for your reply. So do we indeed apply under the Family Class Sponsorship?

Also, is there a chance that our baby will be denied at the border when we re-enter Canada as he is at risk of overstaying his visa?
Hi michelle1977,

You have to submit the Sponsorship Application for Dependent Child to CPC Mississauga.
You can give your Canadian address in the application. The PR will be processed out country in Buffalo visa office.

As your child carry a Dutch passport he is from a visa exempted country for Canada. I don't see any reason for refusing his entry at the Canadian POE. However, to clear any fear from your mind I would suggest you to call an officer at the Canadian Embassy in Netherlands, well in advance.

michelle1977

Oct 30, 2010
Thanks for your fast reply, Wilson.

I was just looking at the CIC website and noticed the processing time is much faster when the person you're applying for is living abroad. But is it possible to start the process when we are still abroad ourselves? (we have our PR cards and have "landed" in Canada, but are still living in the Netherlands and plan to move to Canada in the Spring). It would save us quite some time if we could start the process now.

Thanks for your help!

michelle1977

Oct 30, 2010
Never mind, I just found the answer on the CIC website:

Note: Permanent residents residing abroad may not sponsor from outside of Canada. Canadian citizens travelling as tourists are not considered to be residing abroad.

So I guess we'll just have to wait until we move to Canada. Thanks for your help!

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
michelle1977 said:
Never mind, I just found the answer on the CIC website:

Note: Permanent residents residing abroad may not sponsor from outside of Canada. Canadian citizens travelling as tourists are not considered to be residing abroad.

So I guess we'll just have to wait until we move to Canada. Thanks for your help!
hi michelle, you got it.

With a valid passport, Dutch citizens may remain in Canada as a tourist for a maximum of six months. Therefore when you arrive you request the immigration officer at POE that your baby may be permitted for ONE year stay considering that you are going to sponsor him inland. Usually they used to allow it ( ::) their mercy!!)

michelle1977

Oct 30, 2010
Thanks for the tip Wilson, we'll try getting the One Year extension.

And otherwise we'll just have to go cross border shopping in Buffalo which we regularly do when we're there anyway. That way there's a re-entry and a new arrival date, right?

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
:D ha,ha,
I never think in that way!! LOL,
What a good idea!.
Buffalo is our frequent shopping destination too. Wish you all luck.

michelle1977

Oct 30, 2010
Thanks. My husband is addicted to the Cheesecake Factory in Walden Galleria so we go there very often :) And it's a nice way to combine boring visa paperwork stuff with a nice outing... We did our "landing" there as well.

Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it. Although they do their best to make the website client friendly I find it's still complicated to find things if your case is slightly different than standard.