+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Resident

kiamar

Dec 21, 2019
Hi,

I got my PR June 2016 and Brought my family here September 2016. My husband stayed for a month and left to work to other country. Since he left he didn't come back. Now, he wants to come back and work, but, with the Immigration rule of stay, a PR should stay in Canada for 2 years in 5 years. This means his PR is already been revoked.

Please advise how he can come back, is there a way for him to reacquire his PR.
Thanks.

Hope

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment as well but His PR status would not have been automatically revoked just because he stayed out of the country that is not how it works. PR status can only get revoked following a specific interaction with immigration that highlights failing the RO .

If he still has a valid PR card he could still travel back to Canada although he would then risk being reported for failing the residency obligation and then the process to revoke could start even though he would still be allowed to enter. There is no way to predict this in advance so he may even enter the country without being reported in which case he would then need to stay put for 2 plus years.

if he decides to travel back then whilst he should always answer CBSA questions honestly he should not volunteer any extra information . So if asked about RO then answer but if not then do not volunteer the information.

if his PR status does get revoked then he would need to apply for PR from scratch again.

Last edited: