+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Resident

ralka

Dec 18, 2017
Hello,
I would really appreciate it if someone will be able to answer my concerns.

I have a permanent residence and my husband has it as well. Currently, we live abroad. I am expecting a baby and want to know what will be best for me to do. Would it be going to live in Canada now and deliver the baby? or deliver the baby in the country I am living in now, and applying for the baby to be able to travel to Canada when we do after delivery?
If I ended up delivering the baby in the country I am in right now, what paperwork do I need to complete to be able to bring my baby along with me when I go to Canada?

Thank you for your time.

R

rish888

I would say give birth in Canada. Your child gets Canadian citizenship at birth and it's minimal hassle. Sponsoring your child on the other hand (f you give birth abroad) can be a real mess especially if your living abroad.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes it is always easier to give birth in Canada but may not be possible because of things like cost and employment commitments. Depending on what province you move to in Canada you will have to wait up to 3 months to get health care coverage and you would have to spend up to 6 months in that province or you will have to repay your health care costs. If you have your baby abroad you will have to apply for a trv for your child when you settle in Canada and then apply for PR once in the country. If you don't get a trv you could try to get a trp. Worse come to worse you or your husband will have to go to Canada and sponsor your child from there.

Last edited:
Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

ralka

Dec 18, 2017
I would say give birth in Canada. Your child gets Canadian citizenship at birth and it's minimal hassle. Sponsoring your child on the other hand (f you give birth abroad) can be a real mess especially if your living abroad.
Thank you

ralka

Dec 18, 2017
Yes it is always easier to give birth in Canada but may not be possible because of things like cost and employment commitments. Depending on what province you move to in Canada you will have to wait up to 3 months to get health care coverage and you would have to spend up to 6 months in that province or you will have to repay your health care costs. If you have your baby abroad you will have to apply for a trv for your child when you settle in Canada and then apply for PR once in the country. If you don't get a trv you could try to get a trp. Worst come to worst you or your husband will have to go to Canada and sponsor your child from there.
I will look into the trv and trp. Thank you for the information.

R

rish888

I will look into the trv and trp. Thank you for the information.
But keep in mind neither are guaranteed. If neither work out one parent will need to stay with the child outside Canada while the other parent will need to be inside Canada for the entire duration of the process. This can be quite a while and will split your family.

If you can afford the cost of delivering in Canada, then I would recommend you to give birth in Canada.

If cost is an issue, then look at giving birth in Quebec. While Quebec has a 3 month waiting period there is an exemption for pregnancy related treatment. (including childbirth.) Additionally, a Quebec birth certificate will enable your child to study in Quebec universities at the Quebec resident rate. ($3,700 a year compared to $7,000 - $8,000 per year in the rest of Canada.)

However, assuming you give birth in Quebec and the province pays for the birth, then you need to stay in Quebec at least 6 months before returning to your home country of moving to another Canadian province. If you don't stay the 6 months then RAMQ (Quebec health authority) may ask you to pay back the money.

Some other Canadian provinces also give coverage from day one, but require that you stay for at least 6 months. The added benefit of Quebec is preferential tuition.

ralka

Dec 18, 2017
But keep in mind neither are guaranteed. If neither work out one parent will need to stay with the child outside Canada while the other parent will need to be inside Canada for the entire duration of the process. This can be quite a while and will split your family.

If you can afford the cost of delivering in Canada, then I would recommend you to give birth in Canada.

If cost is an issue, then look at giving birth in Quebec. While Quebec has a 3 month waiting period there is an exemption for pregnancy related treatment. (including childbirth.) Additionally, a Quebec birth certificate will enable your child to study in Quebec universities at the Quebec resident rate. ($3,700 a year compared to $7,000 - $8,000 per year in the rest of Canada.)

However, assuming you give birth in Quebec and the province pays for the birth, then you need to stay in Quebec at least 6 months before returning to your home country of moving to another Canadian province. If you don't stay the 6 months then RAMQ (Quebec health authority) may ask you to pay back the money.

Some other Canadian provinces also give coverage from day one, but require that you stay for at least 6 months. The added benefit of Quebec is preferential tuition.
Thank you for the information. This is very helpful.
I have one more question though. I will be traveling from my country to Ottawa Ontario. I am 10 weeks through my pregnancy. So, As a PR, can’t I apply for a health card once I arrive to Canada (which I am planning to do in couple of weeks), wait the 3 months period, get the OHIP and when I deliver everything will be covered?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No guarantee there will be a difference in tuition almost 20 years later. They also may change the rules and require you to spend time in Quebec vs just being born there. The Quebec education system is really suffering and has had to raise their tuition in the last 10 years and will be forced to do so again I suspect.

If you decide to give birth in Canada I would encourage you to stay more than 6 months. If you leave after exactly 6 months it will trigger an investigation. In the laws it always mentions intending to settle in a province and Canada. For good reason provinces are less than pleased when PRs arrive for 6 months to give birth or receive medical care and leave right away and therefore they often audit these files.

ralka

Dec 18, 2017
No guarantee there will be a difference in tuition almost 20 years later. They also may change the rules and require you to spend time in Quebec vs just being born there. The Quebec education system is really suffering and has had to raise their tuition in the last 10 years and will be forced to do so again I suspect.

If you decide to give birth in Canada I would encourage you to stay more than 6 months. If you leave after exactly 6 months it will trigger an investigation. In the laws it always mentions intending to settle in a province and Canada. For good reason provinces are less than pleased when PRs arrive for 6 months to give birth or receive medical care and leave right away and therefore they often audit these files.
I totally understand you point. Once I move to Canada, it won’t only be for delivering the baby. I will be living here for good. I have a PR and looking forward to become a canadian citizen.
I just need clarification about question on OHIP coverage after 3 months of my stay in Canada. As a PR can’t I apply for OHIP right away when I get to Ottawa, wait the 3 months period, and get full coverage after that?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes once you get to Ontario you can apply for OHIP right away but you only get coverage after 3 months. You will have to pay for any doctors visits, tests, hospital admissions or ER visits if there are any problems for those 3 months. You also can't be out of Ontario for more than a month during your first 6 months of coverage and must be in Ontario (maybe Canada and not just Ontario) for 6 months out of that year to keep your coverage and not have to pay bacl your health care costs.

ralka

Dec 18, 2017
Yes once you get to Ontario you can apply for OHIP right away but you only get coverage after 3 months. You will have to pay for any doctors visits, tests, hospital admissions or ER visits if there are any problems for those 3 months. You also can't be out of Ontario for more than a month during your first 6 months of coverage and must be in Ontario (maybe Canada and not just Ontario) for 6 months out of that year to keep your coverage and not have to pay bacl your health care costs.
Great. Thank you for the clarification.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
You might want to spend sometime planning this.

Moving to a new country is generally a bad idea during pregnancy unless you have very close relatives in new country to help you out during difficult phases before and after delivery.

Cooking after 36 weeks is no fun when you can barely stand and neither is walking to kitchen to pick a glass of water within few weeks of C-section.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You might want to spend sometime planning this.

Moving to a new country is generally a bad idea during pregnancy unless you have very close relatives in new country to help you out during difficult phases before and after delivery.

Cooking after 36 weeks is no fun when you can barely stand and neither is walking to kitchen to pick a glass of water within few weeks of C-section.
Her husband will be with her. Why can't he do all these things?

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Her husband will be with her. Why can't he do all these things?
Are you assuming that her husband ( a new immigrant with new job) would sit at home taking care of her instead of earning livelihood to run family? My wife is in her 35th week and we are in USA while our families are waiting for their B2 visas in India. I am lucky that I can work from home and my company has generous Paternity leave policy but most people are not that lucky. :)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Are you assuming that her husband ( a new immigrant with new job) would sit at home taking care of her instead of earning livelihood to run family? My wife is in her 35th week and we are in USA while our families are waiting for their B2 visas in India. I am lucky that I can work from home and my company has generous Paternity leave policy but most people are not that lucky. :)

Yes I think her husband can come home after work and cook a meal at the end of her pregnancy or during the postpartum period. Also think her husband can help set things up before he leaves for work and help with cleaning and stuff on the weekend. What do you think many Canadian fathers do? Most take a few days off at most.