+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Resident with Non-Resident Spouse, Tax Filing

aphermix

Jan 5, 2017
Hello All,

I became permanent resident on 29-Sep-2017. I soft landed in Toronto and came back to India. Got married on Dec-31 2017. My wife works in India and has no connections to Canada other than me. I am also living in India now.

I was filing with Turbotax with separate spousal return and it is asking for SIN of wife which she does not have. What can I do in this case ?

Also am I a resident or non-resident for taxation purpose in Canada ?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello All,

I became permanent resident on 29-Sep-2017. I soft landed in Toronto and came back to India. Got married on Dec-31 2017. My wife works in India and has no connections to Canada other than me. I am also living in India now.

I was filing with Turbotax with separate spousal return and it is asking for SIN of wife which she does not have. What can I do in this case ?

Also am I a resident or non-resident for taxation purpose in Canada ?
You and your spouse are not tax residents, so you don't need to file for 2017.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I do not owe any taxes to CRA. But I've heard that taxes should be filed in previous years for getting citizenship at a later date. That is why I am filing.
Again, you aren't in Canada, so you won't be able to use 2017 in any future citizenship application. You need to file for the years you are IN Canada and can therefore count towards the physical presence for citizenship.

aphermix

Jan 5, 2017
Again, you aren't in Canada, so you won't be able to use 2017 in any future citizenship application. You need to file for the years you are IN Canada and can therefore count towards the physical presence for citizenship.
I think that clears it up. So I am not filing for 2017. Thank You very much

salkab

Apr 9, 2015
Hello All,
I got PR in 2015 and did a soft landing. I am non-resident for tax purposes, as I am not living in Canada and have no significant ties with Canada. however I have been sending my savings to my Canadian bank account since 2015 and proceeds of sale or properties as well. I am now planning to move to Canada for good next month. I want to know if I will be taxed for the remittances I have made since 2015 while I was remain non-resident for tax purposes and also want to transfer some more funds before I permanently move next month.
Appreciate comments and advices. Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello All,
I got PR in 2015 and did a soft landing. I am non-resident for tax purposes, as I am not living in Canada and have no significant ties with Canada. however I have been sending my savings to my Canadian bank account since 2015 and proceeds of sale or properties as well. I am now planning to move to Canada for good next month. I want to know if I will be taxed for the remittances I have made since 2015 while I was remain non-resident for tax purposes and also want to transfer some more funds before I permanently move next month.
Appreciate comments and advices. Thanks
You need to speak to a tax accountant. By sending the proceeds of the sale of properties you may have made yourself a resident for tax purposes. This was not just simple remittances. Were you taxed on the profits of these sales in your home country? Not knowing your whole situation it is hard to answer and a forum is probably not the best place for this discussion.