+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Resident Travel Document

lemb

Jul 15, 2019
Hi All,

Not sure if I'm posting in the right place.

I am a UK citizen with PR status in Canada. I became a PR in October 2020 and did not leave Canada until December 22nd 2021. I have around 430 days of residency.

I have not yet received my first PR card, due to an error on behalf of IRCC. I was assured twice by IRCC agents that it was ok for me to travel to the UK without my PR card, as long as I applied for the Permanent Resident Travel Document once here.

Now I am seeing that you need to have been resident in Canada for 730 to be applicable. Or at least, I need to prove that I will be able to meet the residency agreement of 730 days within my first five years as PR.

Is this likely to be a big stumbling block? How can I prove this? I am not working yet, but taking a government French course.

Worried I have really messed up here.

Thanks for any advice.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I am a UK citizen with PR status in Canada. I became a PR in October 2020 and did not leave Canada until December 22nd 2021. I have around 430 days of residency.

I have not yet received my first PR card, due to an error on behalf of IRCC. I was assured twice by IRCC agents that it was ok for me to travel to the UK without my PR card, as long as I applied for the Permanent Resident Travel Document once here.

Now I am seeing that you need to have been resident in Canada for 730 to be applicable. Or at least, I need to prove that I will be able to meet the residency agreement of 730 days within my first five years as PR.

Is this likely to be a big stumbling block? How can I prove this?
The law states "if they have been a permanent resident for less than five years, that they will be able to meet the residency obligation in respect of the five-year period immediately after they became a permanent resident."

What this means in practice is that (as in your case) if the days of residency plus days remaining in the first five year period are sufficient to exceed 730 days, you are compliant.

I find it easier to restate this as 'if out of Canada less than 1095 days, you are in compliance (5 * 365 days minus 730) - because if you've been out of Canada less than 1095 days, it is still possible to accumulate 730 days by just remaining in Canada.

In even easier terms, all new PRs are still in compliance for at least the first three years after becoming PRs.

Last edited:

ImmiAA

Mar 23, 2022
The law states "if they have been a permanent resident for less than five years, that they will be able to meet the residency obligation in respect of the five-year period immediately after they became a permanent resident."

What this means in practice is that (as in your case) if the days of residency plus days remaining in the first five year period are sufficient to exceed 730 days, you are compliant.

I find it easier to restate this as 'if out of Canada less than 1095 days, you are in compliance (5 * 365 days minus 730) - because if you've been out of Canada less than 1095 days, it is still possible to accumulate 730 days by just remaining in Canada.

In even easier terms, all new PRs are still in compliance for at least the first three years after becoming PRs.
Are you sure 100 % of this ?

AK9393

Nov 7, 2022
Hi All,

Not sure if I'm posting in the right place.

Is this likely to be a big stumbling block? How can I prove this? I am not working yet, but taking a government French course.

Worried I have really messed up here.

Thanks for any advice.
Hi there,
Could you please let me know if you were able to receive your PRTD and if so, which documents you had to submit as proof of your Residency Obligation". I would really appreciate your help as I am stuck in the exact situation.
Thank you!