18-08-2016
Med's Done....
18-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
22-11-2016
LANDED..........
03-12-2016
HELP!

My fiance landed on Dec 3 2016 and we just found out today (Feb 9 2017) that his pictures for his PR card were not accepted (despite having the immigration official take new photos specifically for the PR card..). The trouble is that he has flights to Scotland book for March 22. We have gotten the new photos and will send them off tomorrow but does anyone know anything about obtaining a Permanent Resident Travel Document? We called IRCC and they were useless in helping us with this matter or explaining how we can make sure he is allowed back in the country!

Do we have time to apply for this? Can you even apply for one from inside Canada? We don't like that he has to send his passport away as if it is lost he definitely does not have time to get a new one before his trip. Any advice is much appreciated- we are panicking!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PRTD must be apply outside Canada. If UK, look up the internet for the nearest location.

Also if your fiance has a US visa or US visa exempted, he can fly to the US and walk to the Canadian border (like the bridge above the Niagara river) and enter Canada without the PRTD with his COPR.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
sambeat4 said:
Do we have time to apply for this? Can you even apply for one from inside Canada? We don't like that he has to send his passport away as if it is lost he definitely does not have time to get a new one before his trip. Any advice is much appreciated- we are panicking!
When arriving in Scotland, he will need to mail his passport and the PR Travel Doc application to the nearest visa office. I believe it's in London for the UK.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/travel-document/

Visa office will process the PR TD app, and mail him back his passport with PR TD attached to it.

While the app is processing, he'll be without passport. You can always request expedited processing, but of course there are no guarantees. I would budget a couple weeks for the total process so hopefully his trip gives him ample time in case of delays.

Without a PR TD, he will not be allowed to board a plane back to Canada. As mentioned above, he would need to fly to USA and then cross into Canada by land (as neither PR card nor PR TD is required at a land border).

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
I just want to add that your husband definitely needs either a PR Card or a PRTD. Just weeks ago I took a flight from LHR to YYZ and the agent at the gate checked every single passenger for eTA and, if they didn't have it, entered the PR Card number of the passenger into the system.

I assume that is known but wanted to mention it just in case someone is coming up who says "He might be lucky and they won't ask for his card on the return flight".

ghostrider

Oct 12, 2015
I'm in a similar situation and also looking for answers.

my wife got her permanent resident approved and got the request for passport and have sent her passport to Ottawa (She's already here on Visitor's visa).

I'm planning to do her landing here only at the Niagara Falls border, but she wont get her PR card any time soon and she has to travel to India on March 2nd for a month.

I cant wait to have her do her landing while coming back from India because her landing visa is only approved until March 19th.

I've found out about PRTD (Permanent Resident Travel Document), is that a valid option ? as she has not even received her first pr card yet. As per the requirements, only thing required is landing paper and that she will have.

Anyone else has been in a similar scenario or know someone who was. Please advise.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
ghostrider said:
I'm in a similar situation and also looking for answers.

my wife got her permanent resident approved and got the request for passport and have sent her passport to Ottawa (She's already here on Visitor's visa).

I'm planning to do her landing here only at the Niagara Falls border, but she wont get her PR card any time soon and she has to travel to India on March 2nd for a month.

I cant wait to have her do her landing while coming back from India because her landing visa is only approved until March 19th.

I've found out about PRTD (Permanent Resident Travel Document), is that a valid option ? as she has not even received her first pr card yet. As per the requirements, only thing required is landing paper and that she will have.

Anyone else has been in a similar scenario or know someone who was. Please advise.
Yes a PR TD is best option by far. A month should be more than enough time. The steps are exactly as in my post above, except the visa office to mail passport/PR TD application to will be local one (so probably New Delhi).

ghostrider

Oct 12, 2015
Rob_TO said:
Yes a PR TD is best option by far. A month should be more than enough time. The steps are exactly as in my post above, except the visa office to mail passport/PR TD application to will be local one (so probably New Delhi).
Thanks for confirming, this is what I had found out as well.

alee667

Star Member
Jul 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-07-2015
Doc's Request.
04-12-2015
Nomination.....
22-12-2015
AOR Received.
26-01-2016
Med's Done....
Passed 28-01-2016
Passport Req..
22-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
22-07-2016
LANDED..........
13-01-2017
I did my landing on 13th Jan 2017 and returned from Canada last week. PR card is under processing and current processing time shows 49 days. Now I plan to travel back to Canada by 31st March 2017. Now have two questions:

1- Should I wait for my PR card to reach and Canadian address and then delivered to me outside Canada or should apply for PRTD?
2- What is processing time in general for new PR cards?

Shahid malik

Star Member
Nov 30, 2015
Winnipeg MB
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
7-2-2018
AOR Received.
20 -03-2018
Med's Request
28-March
Med's Done....
04-April 2018 and passed 13 April
alee667 said:
I did my landing on 13th Jan 2017 and returned from Canada last week. PR card is under processing and current processing time shows 49 days. Now I plan to travel back to Canada by 31st March 2017. Now have two questions:

1- Should I wait for my PR card to reach and Canadian address and then delivered to me outside Canada or should apply for PRTD?
Same case wats app no is 03338518627

Shahid malik

Star Member
Nov 30, 2015
Winnipeg MB
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
7-2-2018
AOR Received.
20 -03-2018
Med's Request
28-March
Med's Done....
04-April 2018 and passed 13 April
Same situation

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
alee667 said:

There is no guaranteed time for PR card processing. So if you decide to wait to have your PR card delivered in Canada and have it couriered to you by whoever receives it, be prepared for the situation that it may arrive late and you'll need to postpone your flight home.

If you do the PR TD application, the whole process should take a couple of weeks so pretty sure that you would have PR TD and passport returned to you before March 31.

alee667

Star Member
Jul 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-07-2015
Doc's Request.
04-12-2015
Nomination.....
22-12-2015
AOR Received.
26-01-2016
Med's Done....
Passed 28-01-2016
Passport Req..
22-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
22-07-2016
LANDED..........
13-01-2017
Rob_TO said:
There is no guaranteed time for PR card processing. So if you decide to wait to have your PR card delivered in Canada and have it couriered to you by whoever receives it, be prepared for the situation that it may arrive late and you'll need to postpone your flight home.

If you do the PR TD application, the whole process should take a couple of weeks so pretty sure that you would have PR TD and passport returned to you before March 31.
Thanks mate. Got my PR cards delivered right after 42 days of landing. so PRTD is no more required.

Red1992

Star Member
Apr 26, 2016
Category........
App. Filed.......
19-03-2018
AOR Received.
13-04-2018
Hi all, anybody who have applied for PRTD in India and received in around 2 weeks processing time? My wife has to travel with me to India and she haven't received her PR card yet. So we are planning to apply for PRTD as soon as we land there.
What are all the documents of me and my wife we need to attach? Please clarify about the residency obligatory forms. What can we show as proof for Canada home and for Indian residence. And do we need to submit the form in local VFS office and pay the fee personally there? Please reply and help.
Thanks in advance :)

mikeshiller

Feb 28, 2017
Hi all, anybody who have applied for PRTD in India and received in around 2 weeks processing time? My wife has to travel with me to India and she haven't received her PR card yet. So we are planning to apply for PRTD as soon as we land there.
What are all the documents of me and my wife we need to attach? Please clarify about the residency obligatory forms. What can we show as proof for Canada home and for Indian residence. And do we need to submit the form in local VFS office and pay the fee personally there? Please reply and help.
Thanks in advance :)

I'm on the same boat, didn't get PR card yet. I have some family emergency, have to go India. Did you apply PRTD from there? how was it went, could you please help me.

mk_mk2009

Nov 4, 2017
Hi All,

I am in a similar situation.

My wife and I did an inland landing at Etobicoke on September 11, 2017. I received my PR card last week, but my wife was asked to resubmit photos. We immediately submitted it on the day of the request itself. However, we are scheduled to Travel to India for 2 weeks on November 24th, 2017 and am planning to apply for a PRTD for my wife once we get there.

However, when i looked at the PRTD form, I am not sure how to meet the 730 days PR RO given the fact that we became PR's only 2 months ago. Any guidance on this will help.

Thanks