+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Resident Status

vetonajdini

Jul 28, 2017
I have obtained a Study Permit and I will begin my studies this September (2017). However, I plan on becoming a permanent resident of Canada. I've done some research and I've come to the conclusion that the best option for me is to get a Permanent Resident Card.

During my research I came across the term "permanent resident" many times, is seems to be required for the application for a PRC.

How can I achieve the permanent resident status?
Is there a special process I have to go through to achieve is permanent resident status, or am I considered as a permanent resident as soon as I start living in Canada?​

I understand the proof of residency requirement, this is not a question about that.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your conclusion is wrong. You do not qualify for a permanent resident card. Only people who are already permanent residents qualify for a permanent resident card.

If you want to become a permanent resident, you need to apply through one of Canada's PR programs. Details are here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp

vetonajdini

Jul 28, 2017
Your conclusion is wrong. You do not qualify for a permanent resident card. Only people who are already permanent residents qualify for a permanent resident card.

If you want to become a permanent resident, you need to apply through one of Canada's PR programs. Details are here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp
Thank you for the reply!

How long would going through the process of becoming a permanent resident and the process of acquiring a PRC take altogether?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Depends. At least eight months from the time your application is submitted - but could be well over a year.

You also have to make sure you meet the requirements of one of the programs (e.g. at least one year of full time work experience, the required scores for General IELTS, enough points to be selected if it's a point-based program, etc.) You'll need to spend several hours, if not days, researching the various programs to see what it takes to qualify.

vetonajdini

Jul 28, 2017
Depends. At least eight months from the time your application is submitted - but could be well over a year.

You also have to make sure you meet the requirements of one of the programs (e.g. at least one year of full time work experience, the required scores for General IELTS, enough points to be selected if it's a point-based program, etc.) You'll need to spend several hours, if not days, researching the various programs to see what it takes to qualify.
Is there a program which allows me to apply without any full-time work experience?
Also, can you tell me if online freelance work counts as full-time work experience?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Is there a program which allows me to apply without any full-time work experience?
Also, can you tell me if online freelance work counts as full-time work experience?
You need a minimum of one year of full time paid work experience - although you can use part time work to make up the full time work experience. Freelancing work can be used - but you have to be able to provide hard proof that you have this work experience through contract, tax returns, customer invoices, etc. It tends to be more difficult to prove freelance work experience.

vetonajdini

Jul 28, 2017
You need a minimum of one year of full time paid work experience - although you can use part time work to make up the full time work experience. Freelancing work can be used - but you have to be able to provide hard proof that you have this work experience through contract, tax returns, customer invoices, etc. It tends to be more difficult to prove freelance work experience.
Got it! Thanks for your help!