+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent resident status

sabril

Jul 15, 2008
Hi,

I am experiencing an unusual situation and maybe someone may have similar experience and possible suggestions. I am currently in Canada, but it seems that I will not have enough days spent in Canada in order to renew my permanent resident card which will expire in July. I was outside of Canada for a long time because I did not have any chance for employment here. Now I will most likely to get a job offer soon. Since my potential employer will ask for a PRC as a proof of status in Canada, they me be concerned if it is expired or will expire soon. I know that they do not have any issue with a work permit, but as far as I know I cannot get a work permit as long as I am a permanent resident. Does anyone have any idea how to deal with this situation? I am strongly committed to live in Canada, my spouse works here and my children are here, but I am not sure if it is better to continue with the same status and collecting days as a residency obligation or it is more recommended to try to cancel the current status and ask for a work permit. Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I've never heard of an employer asking to see the permanent resident card as proof of status. Having a SIN should be more than enough to get hired.

sabril

Jul 15, 2008
Thank you for your reply. I know that SIN is only requirement for employment. My spouse was asked to provide a copy of PRC by the time of employment.

Hasher

Apr 2, 2010
I was asked for PR card copy and I sent them my soon expiring PR card, they showed no concern once I sent them along my SIN and DL. Companies only want to make sure for their record, even if you send them expired PR card they don't care as long as you tell them you will renew soon. But if your potential job need travelling outside Canada then yes you need to tell your employer upfront you cannot travel untill next year or so but your status is legal. I did the same and they agree.

It is better to risk possible job than your immigration.

JGK

Star Member
Jul 16, 2010
Vegreville, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo (File Moved to Detroit July 2011)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-09-2010
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
31-05-2010
AOR Received.
N/A
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
01-03-2011
Med's Done....
22-03-2011
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
13-09-2011
VISA ISSUED...
26-09-2011
LANDED..........
12-10-2011
sabril said:
Hi,

I am experiencing an unusual situation and maybe someone may have similar experience and possible suggestions. I am currently in Canada, but it seems that I will not have enough days spent in Canada in order to renew my permanent resident card which will expire in July. I was outside of Canada for a long time because I did not have any chance for employment here. Now I will most likely to get a job offer soon. Since my potential employer will ask for a PRC as a proof of status in Canada, they me be concerned if it is expired or will expire soon. I know that they do not have any issue with a work permit, but as far as I know I cannot get a work permit as long as I am a permanent resident. Does anyone have any idea how to deal with this situation? I am strongly committed to live in Canada, my spouse works here and my children are here, but I am not sure if it is better to continue with the same status and collecting days as a residency obligation or it is more recommended to try to cancel the current status and ask for a work permit. Thank you!
The employer may not have an issue with employing you as a PR then having to try For an LMO and TWP for you, but CIC might. Your failure to meet your PR obligations does not set you in a good position with CIC. Also you state chances of employment as a reason, so there are obviously plenty of Canadians/PRs in your chosen field of employment (a major criteria in getting a LMO). CIC might not want to take a chance on someone who is going "backwards" on the immigration path in Canada.

sabril

Jul 15, 2008
Thank you everyone for your thoughts. There was no job opportunity in my area of expertise for almost two years. I did search for a job in wider area, not only in the city where my family live continuously for more than 3 years. Preliminary, I did not immigrate as a skilled worker, it was a family class of immigration for me. I don't think that the best is to stay in Canada in any way regardless of employment opportunities and maintain dependent status or being on welfare.

Hasher

Apr 2, 2010
Hi Sbril,

I think you should look for other opportunities as bunch of immigrant are successful once they changed their mind and changed their profession. However, you know best what is good for you.

regards

SanRoque

Jan 19, 2012
Get on the job and fight for your PR and not to think otherwise. PR is PR and other pathways may lead you in trouble.