+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Resident Renewal Timeline 2018

Earth2Mars

Star Member
Mar 13, 2017
Hi.
I sent my application and it was received on June 18th 2018 (Canada post showed it as delivered)

How do I find the application on the website? I tried checking status but I can't match it.

Earth2Mars

Star Member
Mar 13, 2017
Guys,

I sent it through Canada Post June 18,
Is this regular mail or courier?
I think I sent it to the Courier address.
I'm not sure.

hargobinder

Oct 30, 2012
Hi.
I sent my application and it was received on June 18th 2018 (Canada post showed it as delivered)

How do I find the application on the website? I tried checking status but I can't match it.
Hi, My application was delivered on 13 June. and even i cannot see any status update . I called them yesterday and they said they did not opened my envelop yet and they are processing late May applications.

So when they open the envelope and start processing application only then they update our status online. So don't worry soon we will see some updates on our application.

rie_n

Star Member
Apr 29, 2013
Hi guys,

I've been tracking this thread to see how the timeline goes.

My PR card renewal application was received on June 25th.

I have an upcoming flight booked to visit back home for Nov 3rd.
Seeing that it's been taking well over 90 days, I'm getting hopeless... :(

Note that applying for PRTD is not an option for me as I'll be staying in my home country just about 2 weeks.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys,

I've been tracking this thread to see how the timeline goes.

My PR card renewal application was received on June 25th.

I have an upcoming flight booked to visit back home for Nov 3rd.
Seeing that it's been taking well over 90 days, I'm getting hopeless... :(

Note that applying for PRTD is not an option for me as I'll be staying in my home country just about 2 weeks.
Prepare to get a US visa (to enter a land border and show expired PR card) or postponing the flight.

doomie

Aug 27, 2018
Here's my timeline
  1. We received your application for a permanent resident card on May 3, 2018.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on August 20, 2018.
  3. We started processing your application on August 20, 2018.
Decision made is ~August 20. I called today and they said my card has been sent for pick-up to the Montreal office, which apparently is taking its sweet time to send me an actual appointment letter. Alas, I live in California with my Canadian spouse (a fact that was made abundantly clear in my application), which is probably why CIC insists on being annoying.

This is the second time I've renewed my PR card based on the strength of accompanying my Canadian spouse, but in 2013 they just mailed it to the Canadian address... I'm actually going to Montreal twice before my card expires (Dec 4) so if I'm really lucky it'll fall during one of those visits... but I suspect I won't be so lucky and I may need to do a 24h round-trip (yay, more money spent on this stupid thing). Also, the CIC rep told me it's not clear if there'll be an "interview" or not (the letter will say so), and the office doesn't seem to take walk-ins (yay...).

<rant>
Generally, this is a relatively stupid process, designed to maximally inconvenience permanent residents like me. Yeah, some VIP member here will probably explain to me that I should just get a multiple entry PRTD, but the fact of the matter is that the PRTD process is also from some by-gone era:
  • You can't apply for a PRTD if you hold a valid PR card. Mine expires on Dec 4, 2018 and I want to go visit my in-laws for Christmas, what do I do?
  • The VAC in Los Angeles says it won't take any applications after Nov 1 (like at all). The CIC website is silent on how one will get a PRTD in the US after Nov 1 ("amazing" organizational skills).
  • There are no published processing times for PRTDs: does it take 1 business day? 1 week? 4-5 months like the PR card renewal? ~12 months like a PR card renewal that goes to secondary processing? How does CIC expect people to plan their travels? Where does one even send questions like this?
  • Also, a PR card is really convenient when arriving in Canada and using those automated passport checks (and with a restless toddler).
  • Sure, I could fly to some Plattsburgh airport and rent a car and hope I don't get stuck at the border where some maybe-not-so-friendly CSBA officer questions me while my toddler asks him for a police sticker. But maybe I'd rather not do that for Christmas?
All in all, it's a bit sad that someone holding PR status has to go to significant lengths to just be able to easily travel to Canada and the entire process is designed to increase cost & uncertainty, while someone who has no PR status and just wants to visit Canada can get an eTA in a couple of days and be all set :(.
</rant>

vnps1903

Star Member
Sep 3, 2018
Here's my timeline
  1. We received your application for a permanent resident card on May 3, 2018.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on August 20, 2018.
  3. We started processing your application on August 20, 2018.
Decision made is ~August 20. I called today and they said my card has been sent for pick-up to the Montreal office, which apparently is taking its sweet time to send me an actual appointment letter. Alas, I live in California with my Canadian spouse (a fact that was made abundantly clear in my application), which is probably why CIC insists on being annoying.

This is the second time I've renewed my PR card based on the strength of accompanying my Canadian spouse, but in 2013 they just mailed it to the Canadian address... I'm actually going to Montreal twice before my card expires (Dec 4) so if I'm really lucky it'll fall during one of those visits... but I suspect I won't be so lucky and I may need to do a 24h round-trip (yay, more money spent on this stupid thing). Also, the CIC rep told me it's not clear if there'll be an "interview" or not (the letter will say so), and the office doesn't seem to take walk-ins (yay...).

<rant>
Generally, this is a relatively stupid process, designed to maximally inconvenience permanent residents like me. Yeah, some VIP member here will probably explain to me that I should just get a multiple entry PRTD, but the fact of the matter is that the PRTD process is also from some by-gone era:
  • You can't apply for a PRTD if you hold a valid PR card. Mine expires on Dec 4, 2018 and I want to go visit my in-laws for Christmas, what do I do?
  • The VAC in Los Angeles says it won't take any applications after Nov 1 (like at all). The CIC website is silent on how one will get a PRTD in the US after Nov 1 ("amazing" organizational skills).
  • There are no published processing times for PRTDs: does it take 1 business day? 1 week? 4-5 months like the PR card renewal? ~12 months like a PR card renewal that goes to secondary processing? How does CIC expect people to plan their travels? Where does one even send questions like this?
  • Also, a PR card is really convenient when arriving in Canada and using those automated passport checks (and with a restless toddler).
  • Sure, I could fly to some Plattsburgh airport and rent a car and hope I don't get stuck at the border where some maybe-not-so-friendly CSBA officer questions me while my toddler asks him for a police sticker. But maybe I'd rather not do that for Christmas?
All in all, it's a bit sad that someone holding PR status has to go to significant lengths to just be able to easily travel to Canada and the entire process is designed to increase cost & uncertainty, while someone who has no PR status and just wants to visit Canada can get an eTA in a couple of days and be all set :(.
</rant>

vnps1903

Star Member
Sep 3, 2018
PRTD is exhausting no doubt, but u should b getting ur PR any day . It usually takes 10 days to reach IRCC office who will contact u and moreover u have enough time to get it.All the best.Lot of applicants are wondering why eTA is not given.Everyone cannot travel by pvt vehicle.eTA will save IRCC time spent on answering calls . Travelling is no more glamour,it is a routine nowadays.In case of emergency if one has to travel immediately,one cannot wait for three/ four weeks to get cardOR PRTD in a weeks time when abroad. Ministry of immigration should think positively

netmani

Aug 14, 2018
Sent the renewal application on May 9th with 810 days in previous 5 years in Canada
  1. We received your application for a permanent resident card on May 14, 2018.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on August 31, 2018.
  3. We started processing your application on August 31, 2018.
Status changed to "Decision Made" today on 15th September.

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
PRTD is exhausting no doubt, but u should b getting ur PR any day . It usually takes 10 days to reach IRCC office who will contact u and moreover u have enough time to get it.All the best.Lot of applicants are wondering why eTA is not given.Everyone cannot travel by pvt vehicle.eTA will save IRCC time spent on answering calls . Travelling is no more glamour,it is a routine nowadays.In case of emergency if one has to travel immediately,one cannot wait for three/ four weeks to get cardOR PRTD in a weeks time when abroad. Ministry of immigration should think positively
At least, a PR should be able to apply for a special PRTD in Canada for their urgent leaving for a short time. And one option should be added: I am sure I meet RO and my travel history is accurate. I agree that if CBSA find that I break RO I will lose my right to appeal and leave Canada according to the order. Click this, you get your special PRTD in one day. Why not?

vnps1903

Star Member
Sep 3, 2018
hello, yesterday evening i got email for AOR for me and my family members. today i checked status, it says decision made. however i can see following details :
  1. We received your application for a permanent resident card on May 31, 2018.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on September 12, 2018.
  3. We started processing your application on September 12, 2018.

vnps1903

Star Member
Sep 3, 2018
Any developments? My app also dt may 31,n app received only which I see on ECAS .no AOR e mail yet.have they sent further info or any eCAS changes?

Sandy11_1

Sep 17, 2018
Sent my application on May 31, 2018.

We received your application for a permanent resident card on June 1, 2018.

Last update was about 15 days ago. No update yet.

vnps1903

Star Member
Sep 3, 2018
Sent the renewal application on May 9th with 810 days in previous 5 years in Canada
  1. We received your application for a permanent resident card on May 14, 2018.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on August 31, 2018.
  3. We started processing your application on August 31, 2018.
Status changed to "Decision Made" today on 15th September.[/QUOTE