+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Resident Renewal Timeline 2018

blupassion06

Apr 11, 2012
Dear all,

I am new to this forum. So apologies in advance if my question has been discussed earlier. A friend's parents received the following letter in response to their application for renewing their PR cards. They are in a bad situation as their old passport was stolen while travelling in Europe (they have a letter from the police there certifying this) and since they've been living with their daughter, they don't have a lot of proof for living here. (They do have bank accounts, but for the most part have not been using them regularly as they are financially supported by their daughter. They never even filed for taxes for the same reason as they had no income. To save dollars, they even used the home phone (in their daughters' name) as opposed to a cell phone.).

Do you think they still have a chance given that they don't have an old passport to prove their travel history? Also, does the letter below mean they are still deciding whether or not to renew their cards, or does it mean that their card is already issued and they just want to double check everything before handing the card to them? I'm inclined to think that in the latter case, they might still have a chance if they go in person and explain everything. In their application, they had let CIC check with the borders their entry and exit dates, but unfortunately looks like CIC is not still convinced (due to the letter below).

In general, what is your advice? Should they even try and go there in person? Or would it make the case more complicated and may mean they get deported now that they can't prove their residency days? Should they withdraw their application and try again later when they re-accumulate the residency days? Or should they not withdraw now and try going to the office and then withdraw if the officer is not convinced? In the latter case, any chance they would risk being deported? Please advise.

Dear ...

According to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, all permanent residents of Canada are subject to a residency assessment at the time of distribution of their new Permanent Resident Card. An immigration official will review your documents and may request additional information to determine your eligibility for a PR card.

Every individual who receives this notice must be seen in person and present the following:
This letter;
All passports and travel documents (current and expired);
Passport stamps and visas not in English/French must be accompanied by a certified translation in one of the official languages;
Total of all absences from Canada (for the 5 years prior to date you applied);
Valid photo ID issued by the province or a federal agency (e.g. driver's license, health card);
Expired PR card;
Proof of residence in Canada for the five years prior to the date you applied (e.g. Notice of Assessment from Canada Revenue Agency, T-4 statement, employer's letter, school records, bank or bill statements);
Minors under age 14 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian with a birth certificate and/or legal guardianship papers
Spouses of Canadian Citizens should bring marriage certificate (with translation) and copy of spouse's Canadian passport
An interpreter if required

Please come to our office on this date during the following hours(Except Holidays):
Date:
Time:

Please note that if you are unable to appear on the date scheduled, you must come to our office within 180 days from your scheduled date. Should you choose not to come on your appointment date, there is a possibility that you will not be seen if there is a high volume of clients on the day you come to the office.

By law, any unclaimed permanent resident card must be destroyed 180 days after the date of this letter. There are no exceptions. If your card is destroyed by this method, you must make a new application and pay another fee.

If you require additional information, please call the IRCC National Call Centre: 1-888-242-2100 or email them at question@cic.gc.ca.

Yours sincerely,
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
You should deff keep the appointment, make sure to take a translator in case they cant properly communicate in english. Gather all the proof that you possibly can. You must have airline tickets for traveling out of country since the Passports are not an option, I am sure they have other ways of confirming with Canadian border authorities. Which country passports do they hold? Are they able to get new passports? (not sure if that will help at the moment) They should file their taxes..and still can for all the years they have missed and will probably get some credits (as in they might get some money from the government..My husbands an accountant in GTA..let me know if you want to connect) Even if they dont use their bank accounts....they should still take the bank statements.
If you have nothing to hide thn dont get scared by this letter...present everything honestly.
good luck!

lpit

Star Member
Oct 29, 2012
Hi Guys,

2 quick questions related to PR renewal. Really appreciate your advice

1. On the application to renew, #16 asks for place (city / province) where I became a permanent resident. The application guide further says
If your Record of Landing (IMM 1000) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688) form shows the name of a port of entry
(the airport or a border crossing where you became a permanent resident), provide the name of the port of entry as shown on your Record of Landing or Confirmation of Permanent Residence form.
I landed in Calgary, and the CBSA stamp shows that. I do see an item captioned Became a PR at: 4606 in my COPR however, can't tell if that's what the application guide is referring to additionally mention. Can you advise if I can just state Calgary, AB in response to that question, or something more?

2. I became a resident on July 16, 2014, and truly finally moved to Canada on April 8, 2017. This was because of an extended effort to work with my employer to relocate me to Canadian operations. I travelled to Canada during that time on several occasions. Between those trips before my final move, and my continued residency since, I will have less than 1095 days of absence, and well over the 730 days of presence indicated as the physical residency obligation. Should I expect any delays with my renewal, and are there documents I can / should provide to help reduce delays with my application?

Thanks in advance!

lpit

Star Member
Oct 29, 2012
One more question: When I add up all my days of absence, I get 1043 days. I have 5 more days scheduled for work before my 5-year PR anniversary which would bring my total days of absence to 1048. Since that is under the 1095 required to meet conditions of residency obligation, am I ok? or is the 1048 close enough to 1095 that I can expect a secondary review / longer processing time for the card renewal? I get that each case would be different, but I am curious what others in similar conditions as mine have experienced. My card expires in Sep 2019.

For the record, I did truly move and establish residency in April 2017 - i.e. moved with family, had their PRs processed after, have been working and filing tax returns since etc. In short, I am not trying to game the system :)

leazy

Star Member
Jun 1, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 1st 2014
Nomination.....
January 8th 2014
AOR Received.
March 6th 2014
IELTS Request
n/r
File Transfer...
March 6th 2014
Med's Request
March 6th 2014
Med's Done....
April 2nd 2014
LANDED..........
In Canada since 01/2012

leazy

Star Member
Jun 1, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 1st 2014
Nomination.....
January 8th 2014
AOR Received.
March 6th 2014
IELTS Request
n/r
File Transfer...
March 6th 2014
Med's Request
March 6th 2014
Med's Done....
April 2nd 2014
LANDED..........
In Canada since 01/2012
My application was received 6th December and processing began January 15th. My application will be WAY different though.

Long story short: PR in 2010, didn't get a PR card at the time, didn't come back as thought I'd lost PR, returned on a work permit in 2016, then found out hadn't lost PR, contacted IRCC who said, "you're here legally, but are not eligible for your (first!) PR card, apply in 2 years when you have 2 out of 5 years".

So here I am applying.

(All of this thanks to this forum too. Another "expat" forum elsewhere tried to scare me in to giving up my PR when I found out about it, claiming I was acting illegally. Total nonsense and thankfully I came here and got great advice :))
Interesting story! Do you think this whole debacle will influence/prolong processing time for you? Keep me posted if you hear anything from them, I’m still waiting!

ashs

Nov 20, 2018
Hamilton, Ontario
hi,
my application status online says:

1. We received your application for a permanent resident card on December 3, 2018.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on December 3, 2018.
  3. We started processing your application on December 3, 2018.
    I sent an email via web on 27th January and they responded that the application is sent for review to the local office and they will update as early as possible. I dont know what to expect? any clue guys?

kbo

Jan 22, 2019
Update

So I went to Costco...the photo cntr manager actually measured the pictures with a ruler and they were PERFECT! and said the cutter is standard one provided by their head office and the corners are rounded. I called another photo location to ask about the corners and she said they should be pointed but recently she has had a few pictures come back but the pictures/measurements were perfect. She suggested I send a letter or call them asking them for an explanation. BUT THAN > > > I realized that I forgot to write my name and DOB on the back of 1 picture :oops::oops::oops: but that wasn't the reason for the app being returned...they highlighted the measurement sentence....so IDK. I attached a letter explaining it all...and added new pictures which again meet the requirements. Now im back in the waiting game :(
My parent's pictures were taken at Costco and had rounded corners as well. There were no issues with their application, so probably the missing names and DOB on the back were the reason... Good luck!

kbo

Jan 22, 2019
Dear all,

I am new to this forum. So apologies in advance if my question has been discussed earlier. A friend's parents received the following letter in response to their application for renewing their PR cards. They are in a bad situation as their old passport was stolen while travelling in Europe (they have a letter from the police there certifying this) and since they've been living with their daughter, they don't have a lot of proof for living here. (They do have bank accounts, but for the most part have not been using them regularly as they are financially supported by their daughter. They never even filed for taxes for the same reason as they had no income. To save dollars, they even used the home phone (in their daughters' name) as opposed to a cell phone.).

Do you think they still have a chance given that they don't have an old passport to prove their travel history? Also, does the letter below mean they are still deciding whether or not to renew their cards, or does it mean that their card is already issued and they just want to double check everything before handing the card to them? I'm inclined to think that in the latter case, they might still have a chance if they go in person and explain everything. In their application, they had let CIC check with the borders their entry and exit dates, but unfortunately looks like CIC is not still convinced (due to the letter below).

In general, what is your advice? Should they even try and go there in person? Or would it make the case more complicated and may mean they get deported now that they can't prove their residency days? Should they withdraw their application and try again later when they re-accumulate the residency days? Or should they not withdraw now and try going to the office and then withdraw if the officer is not convinced? In the latter case, any chance they would risk being deported? Please advise.

Dear ...

According to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, all permanent residents of Canada are subject to a residency assessment at the time of distribution of their new Permanent Resident Card. An immigration official will review your documents and may request additional information to determine your eligibility for a PR card.

Every individual who receives this notice must be seen in person and present the following:
This letter;
All passports and travel documents (current and expired);
Passport stamps and visas not in English/French must be accompanied by a certified translation in one of the official languages;
Total of all absences from Canada (for the 5 years prior to date you applied);
Valid photo ID issued by the province or a federal agency (e.g. driver's license, health card);
Expired PR card;
Proof of residence in Canada for the five years prior to the date you applied (e.g. Notice of Assessment from Canada Revenue Agency, T-4 statement, employer's letter, school records, bank or bill statements);
Minors under age 14 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian with a birth certificate and/or legal guardianship papers
Spouses of Canadian Citizens should bring marriage certificate (with translation) and copy of spouse's Canadian passport
An interpreter if required

Please come to our office on this date during the following hours(Except Holidays):
Date:
Time:

Please note that if you are unable to appear on the date scheduled, you must come to our office within 180 days from your scheduled date. Should you choose not to come on your appointment date, there is a possibility that you will not be seen if there is a high volume of clients on the day you come to the office.

By law, any unclaimed permanent resident card must be destroyed 180 days after the date of this letter. There are no exceptions. If your card is destroyed by this method, you must make a new application and pay another fee.

If you require additional information, please call the IRCC National Call Centre: 1-888-242-2100 or email them at question@cic.gc.ca.

Yours sincerely,
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
As blupassion06 wrote above, they should have other documents showing when they left and entered Canada, e.g. plane tickets. In case they don't have the boarding cards, the electronic tickets should also work (although they do not prove that they actually used them without the boarding cards). They should also think for any other documents that can show when they were in Canada, e.g. any type of courses/lessons with attendance records (e.g. ESL) and they should take all these documents together with the document from the police that their passports were stolen.

Good luck!

Last edited:

immigrant7

Aug 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-MAY-2012
AOR Received.
27-AUG-2012
IELTS Request
With Application
File Transfer...
27-AUG-2012
Med's Request
29-OCT-2012
Med's Done....
05-NOV-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-SEP-2013
VISA ISSUED...
10-OCT-2013
LANDED..........
19-OCT-2013
They needed primary identification thats why they returned it and we received it yesterday! =)
Primary ID ??!!!

And did you receive the new card, which was mailed on 29th ? wow... Congrats.
I'm still waiting.hopefully today.

CalgaryWorker

Feb 27, 2017
Interesting story! Do you think this whole debacle will influence/prolong processing time for you? Keep me posted if you hear anything from them, I’m still waiting!
Hi Leazy,

Thought it would, but having just checked today (4th Feb 2019) my PR card has been approved :D

leazy

Star Member
Jun 1, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 1st 2014
Nomination.....
January 8th 2014
AOR Received.
March 6th 2014
IELTS Request
n/r
File Transfer...
March 6th 2014
Med's Request
March 6th 2014
Med's Done....
April 2nd 2014
LANDED..........
In Canada since 01/2012
Hi Leazy,

Thought it would, but having just checked today (4th Feb 2019) my PR card has been approved :D
That’s amazing! Congratulations! I wonder what’s wrong with mine :( It should’ve been an easy one, I only left the country twice in the last 5 years and don’t have much to confirm. Or so I thought...

CalgaryWorker

Feb 27, 2017
That’s amazing! Congratulations! I wonder what’s wrong with mine :( It should’ve been an easy one, I only left the country twice in the last 5 years and don’t have much to confirm. Or so I thought...
I'm guessing that mine is such an unusual case that they had to pass it on to somewhere special. Think about it, COPR in 2010, never applied for a PR card until now and had a work permit in between times through bad advice. It HAD to go to a supervisor or other department that needed special consideration.

Mine still says APPROVED. Nothing about being posted though.

immigrant7

Aug 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-MAY-2012
AOR Received.
27-AUG-2012
IELTS Request
With Application
File Transfer...
27-AUG-2012
Med's Request
29-OCT-2012
Med's Done....
05-NOV-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-SEP-2013
VISA ISSUED...
10-OCT-2013
LANDED..........
19-OCT-2013
I'm guessing that mine is such an unusual case that they had to pass it on to somewhere special. Think about it, COPR in 2010, never applied for a PR card until now and had a work permit in between times through bad advice. It HAD to go to a supervisor or other department that needed special consideration.

Mine still says APPROVED. Nothing about being posted though.
IRCC is the best patience tester. It's just a waiting game.
As someone here in this forum had told me, it is about being strong and have patience.