+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Resident Renewal by a US citizen

tareqjj

Oct 17, 2013
Hi all, I'll make this short. I am currently outside of Canada and my PR card expires on May of 2019. Unfortunately, I do not meet my residency obligations. I would want to renew my card, but don't want to get reported at the border for not meeting my residency obligation. Is it possible for me to enter the Canada with my US passport instead of my PR card, and once I am inside the country apply for renewal? Do I need to be present in canada for the duration of application process? Thank you very much in advance for any help.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Even if you enter without being reported and apply to renew your PR card, you will end up facing a residency review and end up loosing your PR status for residency obligation. Unless, of course, you plan to stay in Canada until you meet RO.

tareqjj

Oct 17, 2013
Even if you enter without being reported and apply to renew your PR card, you will end up facing a residency review and end up loosing your PR status for residency obligation. Unless, of course, you plan to stay in Canada until you meet RO.
So are you saying I should let me PR expire and only apply for renewal when I settle permanently there? Thank you

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ok let me summarize for you:
1. Your USA passport will only help you to board the plane.
2. Even if you try to use your USA passport it will not help you. As long as there is a question if you are PR, you must enter it truthfully unless you want problems (all those applications forms and even videos when you are casually questioned on border crossing are stored). So you can only hope not to be reported.
3. The longer you stay outside and the less ties you have with Canada the higher the chance of being reported.
4. PR card itself means nothing. It is just a travel document so it does not tell much if you are or you are not in breach of PR. Most people need it to board the plane (unless they are USA citizens). Also valid or expired PR card does not automatically mean that you will not or you will be reported.

So ask yourself if you want to live in Canada or not and decide accordingly. Be also aware that as of currently you might be reported and your PR might be revoked because of that.
And yes later on there might be more effective system in place where discovery of those that do not meet RO will be even higher and the chances to slip by much lower.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Doesn't sound like you are planning on staying in Canada for 2 years without leaving. No point in trying to enter without getting reported if you can't then stay for 2 years.

Reactions: YVR123