+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent resident card

AnitaB

Nov 8, 2011
Hello,Help.

I have been a Canadian citizen for over 30 years and is well established in Canada with an upscale career.
I sponsored my commom law husband in April, 2009 after living together for 410 days. We recieved a letter in February of 2011 to come in for an interview in our local office in Mississauga,ont. 3 days later we recieve letters stating that our application has been approved, and my spouse can apply for a temporary Health card and Work Permit if required. We applied for the Health card, but did not apply for any work permit since I did not want to slow the processing time.
1 month later he recieved another letter stating that his medical records has expired, and also was enclosed an undertaking application, which I completed and sent in.Medical was completed and sent in also in April,2011.

Does anyone know the waiting period now for my spouse's Permanent Resident card?

boasorte

Aug 3, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Halifax
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
From what you have written, your application has been Approved-In-Principle, your husband is not a PR yet;

He, however, may apply for an Open Work Permit(applying for it won't delay your sponsorship application in any way), SIN card and if applicable apply for Health Card.

- Your application is still being processed. Just send all the documents they are asking you for immediately, even if you have already sent them with your original package.

- Once you have met all the requirements, your husband will then be called for an interview where he will become a Permanent Resident.
He will receive his PR card a while after this interview.

AnitaB

Nov 8, 2011
Thanks for the feedback, very helpful.

Can you let me know how I can go about getting the work permit and the SIN card.
Do I need to consult a lawyer or an employer????????????
By the way, all the required docs were already sent in in April,2011.

Thanks again.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you have AIP, then you don't need a lawyer or an employer to obtain a work permit. You just need to submit an open work permit application. I believe it takes a month or two for this application to be processed.

boasorte

Aug 3, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Halifax
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AnitaB said:

Can you let me know how I can go about getting the work permit and the SIN card.

Thanks again.
Hi Anita, you should have applied for a Open Work Permit right after receiving your AIP letter.

- Here is the link with all the information you need to know regarding applying for a OWP: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp

Make sure to attach your AIP letter that you and spouse received. Also, explain that you have been approved in principle and you want to be able to work in the meantime while your application is still in process.

SIN- You won't be able to apply for it now since you need to present the Open Work Permit in order for you to be issued a # .

bigdaniel

Nov 12, 2011
Re: Permanent Residence

Boa Sorte,

I sponsored my husband from Brazil and CIC received the in-land application on May 26, 2010. First stage approval and OWP given on March 24, 2011, but haven't heard anything since then.

Did you apply outland or inland? If he is approved for his PR, what timeline do you think we will have between receiving approval confirmation and the actual landing appointment?

We will be in Brazil for the holidays, and I don't want him to miss the appointment. Could we reschedule the appointment?

Obrigada!

Stumpedmom

Sep 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/03/2011 Receivd CPC-M
AOR Received.
16/06/2011
File Transfer...
06/05/2011 Received in Buffalo, 06/2011 to Los Angeles
Med's Done....
12/10/2010
Interview........
waived...obviously cuz we got the PPR
Passport Req..
16/8/2011
VISA ISSUED...
24/8/2011 in our hands 8/29/2011
LANDED..........
3/9/2011
Re: Permanent Residence

bigdaniel said:
Boa Sorte,

I sponsored my husband from Brazil and CIC received the in-land application on May 26, 2010. First stage approval and OWP given on March 24, 2011, but haven't heard anything since then.

Did you apply outland or inland? If he is approved for his PR, what timeline do you think we will have between receiving approval confirmation and the actual landing appointment?

We will be in Brazil for the holidays, and I don't want him to miss the appointment. Could we reschedule the appointment?

Obrigada!
I would not recommend your husband leaving Canada to go to Brazil for the holidays. If you are doing an inland application, you are to remain in Canada for the whole process. If your husband gets refused entry at the border, your application will be cancelled and you will have to go through the whole process again. That is one of the issues when you apply inland. Sorry to break that news to you. If he needs a visit visa to return, you again could be and most likely would be denied because his spouse is living in Canada. So IMO I would hold the vacation off until after you receive the final approval....

AnitaB

Nov 8, 2011
Hi, We recieved AIP in Feb,2011, online status shown Medical results recieved in April,2011.
What is the next step and what is the time frame for PR arrivals.This was a common law sponsorship.
Pls help.

AnitaB

Nov 8, 2011
AnitaB said:

Thanks again.

AnitaB

Nov 8, 2011
Hi,

My commom law,s medicals were recieved in May 2011, and since his file shown "in process". Any idea when PR will arrive or final interview will be done. AIP was in Feb,2011.

Can someone please advise????

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AnitaB said:
Hi,

My commom law,s medicals were recieved in May 2011, and since his file shown "in process". Any idea when PR will arrive or final interview will be done. AIP was in Feb,2011.

Can someone please advise????
Background checks must be taking a long time. There's no way of knowing how much longer it will take.

AnitaB

Nov 8, 2011
AnitaB said:
Thanks for you help.
Hi, Just some info to update:
My application recieved April 06, 2009
Started to process Sept 11,2009
Got my AIP Feb 10,2011
Got a letter on Feb25,2011, stating Police Clearance is required from my home country and Medical has also expired.
They were both submitted, on March 30,2011. Since no info on file.
I have been waiting for the final interview for 8 months now.

This is just pathetic.

AnitaB

Nov 8, 2011
AnitaB said:
Hi, Just some info to update:
My application recieved April 06, 2009
Started to process Sept 11,2009
Got my AIP Feb 10,2011
Requested docs sent in Mar,30,2011
City Etobicoke

There is no updates on my file.
8 months and still awaiting PR arrival or final interview.

AnitaB

Nov 8, 2011
Hello, Just an update on my Spouse's file.

He recieved his Permanent Resident card finally, after 11 months wait.

Woopie!!!!!!!!

Good luck to everyone, my prayers are with you all.