+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Resident Card Renewal

serenimoo

May 8, 2013
Hi everyone !
I was just wondering that if you renew your PR card after 5 years, the days you spent in Canada will start over ? I mean If I spent 2 years in Canada, and want to renew my PR card, would I have 1 year left to apply for citizenship or do I have to spend another 3 years after I receive my new PR card ? I couldn't find any information online so I would appreciate your answer !
Thank you !

touché

Star Member
Jun 15, 2013
serenimoo said:
Hi everyone !
I was just wondering that if you renew your PR card after 5 years, the days you spent in Canada will start over ? I mean If I spent 2 years in Canada, and want to renew my PR card, would I have 1 year left to apply for citizenship or do I have to spend another 3 years after I receive my new PR card ? I couldn't find any information online so I would appreciate your answer !
Thank you !
You'd have only 1 year left to apply for citizenship. You just need to meet the 1095 physical residence days (out of the last four years from your application submission date). PR card renewal is unrelated to this requirement.

srilatharajesh

Jul 13, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2010
File Transfer...
30 March 2010
Med's Request
23 June 2012
Med's Done....
12 july 2012
Passport Req..
23 June 2012
VISA ISSUED...
23 Jan 2013
LANDED..........
18 May 2013
hi

please clarify the last 4 years. i don't understand the meaning of it.

"You must have resided in Canada for at least three of the last four years." the tesrm for PR is 5yrs but why do they specify as 4year

serenimoo

May 8, 2013
Yes, I don't understand that too. I became a permanent resident on 2010 but lived in Canada only for 1,5 years now. I will apply for citizenship on 2015. Wouldn't the days I spent before four years count even if I'm a PR ??

RussCan

Star Member
Aug 16, 2013
No, it will not. What's puzzling there in the phrase the last 4 years? To qualify to submit for grant of citizenship you would have lived 3 years out of the preceding (to your application date) 4 year period. Not just cumulative 3 years out of you PR history (e.g. If say you were a PR for the last 5 years, out of which you spent the first year in Canada, then left for 2 years, then came back and spend 2 more years you would accumulate 3 years in total of physical presence but within a period of 5 years - you don't qualify under this scenario). Hope it helps.

HeisenbergCanada

Star Member
Oct 27, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
srilatharajesh said:
hi

please clarify the last 4 years. i don't understand the meaning of it.

"You must have resided in Canada for at least three of the last four years." the tesrm for PR is 5yrs but why do they specify as 4year
Its 1065 days of physical presence in Canada in the last 4 years.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The PR residency requirements and citizenship residency requirements are separate and different and have no effect on each other.

The PR residency requirements state that you must have 730 days in Canada in any rolling 5 year period so it's not just separate 5 year periods of PR card validity but always 730 days in the past 5 years. Say someone lands, spends 1 year, leaves for 3, comes back for one. They apply to renew their PR card with 2/5 years in Canada, passed, get new PR card. Now they leave Canada and they are outside for a year. At this point, in the past 5 years, they were outside for 3 years, inside for 1, then outside for 1 so they do not meet the residency requirements any more. If this person were to lose their PR card and have to apply for a travel document to return, they would be in trouble.

Unrelated, the citizenship requirements have nothing to do with the expiry of PR card. Unrelated, if you spent at least 1095 days in Canada after getting PR but within the past 4 year period, you qualify to apply for citizenship, regardless of having renewed your PR card during that period.

You may even use days spent in Canada before getting PR towards citizenship as long as they were within the past 4 years before applying for citizenship. Days before getting PR only count as 1 day for every 2 so the earliest someone can apply for citizenship would be 2 years after getting PR. That would be if they spent the entire 4 years in Canada. The first 2 years before getting PR would count as one year or 365 days out of the 1095.