+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Resident Card expired while in process for Citizenship

Madariaga

Oct 26, 2017
I am a Permanent Resident in Canada who has applied for citizenship (October 2017). My Permanent Resident Card will expire (Feb 2018) while being in process. My question is -Do I need a valid (non-expired) Permanent Resident card at the time of interview, citizenship test or at the time of Oath ceremony?

Also my passport is expired, I didn’t get a new one as I’m not planning on traveling anytime soon.

Thanks!

devilhimselff

Champion Member
Jul 10, 2005
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Yep...
Applied with expired PR card and awaiting oath now, so no worries.

Can't say anything about passport, as there was a question in the application asking if there was a gap between renewal of passport. You may have to update that in interview? May be someone can add further, who had similar issue.

Madariaga

Oct 26, 2017
About the passport I did explain that I don’t have one as I’m applying for the Citizenship and I would like to get the Canadian as I’m not planning on traveling anytime soon.

Thank you!
Applied with expired PR card and awaiting oath now, so no worries.

Can't say anything about passport, as there was a question in the application asking if there was a gap between renewal of passport. You may have to update that in interview? May be someone can add further, who had similar issue.
rt

NewUser2018

Jun 15, 2017
just renew it because it doesnt look good to go with expired pr card & expired passport. If you dont smoke crackhead you would renew it. I seen many these running around town with no even health card as ID.

• Haha
Reactions: sahibo

Madariaga

Oct 26, 2017
IT WILL EXPIRE ON FEBRUARY 2018.

And I don’t do drugs or even alcohol. It’s not somebody being an idiot or no... it’s a new process an WE PEOPLE have doubts. Thank you!

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
I am a Permanent Resident in Canada who has applied for citizenship (October 2017). My Permanent Resident Card will expire (Feb 2018) while being in process. My question is -Do I need a valid (non-expired) Permanent Resident card at the time of interview, citizenship test or at the time of Oath ceremony?

Also my passport is expired, I didn’t get a new one as I’m not planning on traveling anytime soon.

Thanks!
You don't need a valid permanent residency card for the citizenship interview, test or oath (the current expired card will suffice). But...if i were you (in fact i am in the same situation) - i would still apply for PR card renewal in parallel to the citizenship application as a pre-caution. Who knows how long it will take them to process all these flooding applications after October 11th.

You may need it for travel /family emergency or any other reason, work related travel....if you move to another employer (although they should ask for SIN only, but for some reason many prefer to see PR Card)...it only costs $50 + you could re-use some of the docs you already prepared for your citizenship application

devilhimselff

Champion Member
Jul 10, 2005
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Yep...
About the passport I did explain that I don’t have one as I’m applying for the Citizenship and I would like to get the Canadian as I’m not planning on traveling anytime soon.

Thank you!

rt

If you have already explained and it is part of your application I will not worry about it at all. If they need anything, they'll let you know. It's going to be fine.

As in interview they review stuff provided with application, or if they need something else they inform you.

If you are not planning a trip abroad, you should be fine.

Reactions: dpenabill

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010

I concur in observations made by devilhimselff.

I especially concur in being patient. There is no reason to panic. No reason to rush.

IRCC may get a little antsy about expired passports. But that depends on context, on other circumstances, and especially if IRCC perceives a possibility the applicant traveled abroad during a period of time the applicant purports to not have a valid passport. But that is already in play, explained, and if your explanation makes sense in your situation, should not cause any concerns let alone problems.

PR card expiring while the citizenship application is in process is definitely not an issue other than, as you are obviously aware, if there is a need to travel after the PRC expires and before you become a citizen, you will need (with some exceptions, like for Americans) to obtain a PR Travel Document to fly back to Canada.

While personal experience does not always reflect how things usually go, let alone will always go, I let my PRC expire while my application was in process, no problem at my interview, no problem surrendering the expired PR card when I took the oath. As anyone who has read many of my posts could probably guess, yes I did a good deal of research before I proceeded that way. Not a problem.

Whether to proceed without a valid passport or valid PRC tends to be a very personal decision, largely dependent on the individual's own situation. PRs who can travel via the U.S., for example, have options if they let their PRC expire and there is a sudden need to travel.

Of course, one still needs a valid passport to travel. So to retain any option to travel in the meantime, a PR should of course obtain a valid passport. But those who for sure are not going to travel in the meantime, no need to get the home country passport.

Another factor is how not obtaining a new passport might affect status in the home country, how difficult letting it expire will make getting a new one if the PR wants to still have a home country passport after becoming a citizen. In this regard, my passport also expired shortly after I applied for Canadian citizenship, and I elected to proceed to obtain a new one while my citizenship application was in process, particularly since the place I travel to most often is my home country and it insists on its citizens using their passport when entering the country. So I was going to need my home country passport generally and even after I obtained a Canadian passport.

All of which are merely examples of factors personal to an individual which can influence what the best choice is for himself or herself.

myat

Aug 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-12-2011
LANDED..........
28-09-2015 Landed
Hi all,
My PR CARD will expire on Dec-2020. Of course, I still have valid passport until 2020.

As citizenship application takes about 12 months,
can I submit parallel application (PR renewal application and citizenship application)? Or
I should send application one after one (PR RENEWAL application first and then after receive new PR cards, send citizenship application)?

Thanks and wait for your advice.

Myat

slavasz

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19/10/2009
Doc's Request.
18/12/2009
AOR Received.
19/04/2010
IELTS Request
submitted with docs
File Transfer...
22/12/2009
Med's Request
04/09/2011
Med's Done....
05-09-2011/
Interview........
waved 19/04/2010
Passport Req..
24/05/2012
VISA ISSUED...
13/07/2012
LANDED..........
29/08/2012
Hi all,
My PR CARD will expire on Dec-2020. Of course, I still have valid passport until 2020.

As citizenship application takes about 12 months,
can I submit parallel application (PR renewal application and citizenship application)? Or
I should send application one after one (PR RENEWAL application first and then after receive new PR cards, send citizenship application)?
Send for Citizenship first. Then later for PR card renewal. It is a normal situation. Your old PR will be still with you. When you get new one, you will use new one.

BOYX

May 5, 2017
Toronto, ON
Yes my application for Citizenship has been mail bavk to, is it because my PR Card expired?
Unlikely unless that was the reason cited to you. Normally they would provide an explanation for why it was sent back. I suggest sending a webform & going through your application in-depth once again.

edirleyca

Jan 29, 2021
I'm in the same situation, I'm thinking of renewing my PR while my citizenship is in process, but does anyone know how long approximately it takes to get a PR or/and citizenship now with COVID?