+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Residency Withdrawal - Filing Taxes

seddyedwin

Oct 1, 2014
Hi my relative gave up his PR status and even emailed me his form April 2018. He is overseas and I believe submitted the form in Indonesia.

Does he need to ask the embassy in Jakarta to tell Canada that he withdrew his PR status? Recently letter in the mail came in the mail saying he hasn't submitted his 2017 tax return but was he suppose to file anyways?

Thank you.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi my relative gave up his PR status and even emailed me his form April 2018. He is overseas and I believe submitted the form in Indonesia.

Does he need to ask the embassy in Jakarta to tell Canada that he withdrew his PR status? Recently letter in the mail came in the mail saying he hasn't submitted his 2017 tax return but was he suppose to file anyways?

Thank you.
If he has Canadian sourced income, he should continue to file his returns, regardless whether or not he renounced his PR status

seddyedwin

Oct 1, 2014
He has no Canadian income that's why he is giving up his PR status. I was just told he needed to hand in a Form Called NR73 I suppose he never handed that in with his withdrawal form.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
NR 73 is just determination form for his tax status.

Ask him to get an accountant to explain with the Canada revenue agency

seddyedwin

Oct 1, 2014
Since his PR status was expired since 2013 and hasn't been living in Canada since he was asked wants to give up his PR status to not have to file his taxes as an expired PR resident. Makes no sense to keep it.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since his PR status was expired since 2013 and hasn't been living in Canada since he was asked wants to give up his PR status to not have to file his taxes as an expired PR resident. Makes no sense to keep it.
Tell the accountant that his final tax year was 2013 and he shouldn't had filed for 2014 to 2016 as tax resident..

seddyedwin

Oct 1, 2014
Yeah even as an expired PR resident the NR 73 form probably needs to be filled out for the tax side of things.