+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Residency Obligations

razza_123

Nov 29, 2013
My PR card is expired in June-2020, I have spent more than 3 years (out of 5 years) outside Canada due to my mother illness and my residency obligations, to live 2 years in Canada, cannot me met. But my wife and Children are living in Canada as Permanent Residents. I want to meet my wife and kids. So, can I apply for Visit Visa to meet my wife and Children in Canada or I have to apply for Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) to travel Canada?

Kindly if anyone can help me in this matter. I shall be very thankful to you for this.

Regards

Razza

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My PR card is expired in June-2020, I have spent more than 3 years (out of 5 years) outside Canada due to my mother illness and my residency obligations, to live 2 years in Canada, cannot me met. But my wife and Children are living in Canada as Permanent Residents. I want to meet my wife and kids. So, can I apply for Visit Visa to meet my wife and Children in Canada or I have to apply for Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) to travel Canada?

Kindly if anyone can help me in this matter. I shall be very thankful to you for this.

Regards

Razza
You don’t qualify for a TRV if you still have PR status.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
If your plan is just to visit for a short period, do you intend to attempt to keep the PR status?

Assuming you do not intend to actually reside in Canada, you can apply for a PRTD with expectation that it may not be issued, in which case you could renounce PR status and apply for a visitor visa (no guarantee would be granted). (If you can find someone to speak with, it may be possible to discuss with visa office your intention, i.e. you know you haven't met RO, okay with renouncing, and only wish a visa to visit family)

Attempting to keep PR status may be difficult and not be practical for what you describe as a visit.

Renouncing and getting sponsored by your spouse in future is possible.

Note, these comments don't address the covid-specific issues, like it may take longer and quarantine rules. This may not be a quick process.

razza_123

Nov 29, 2013
If your plan is just to visit for a short period, do you intend to attempt to keep the PR status?

Assuming you do not intend to actually reside in Canada, you can apply for a PRTD with expectation that it may not be issued, in which case you could renounce PR status and apply for a visitor visa (no guarantee would be granted). (If you can find someone to speak with, it may be possible to discuss with visa office your intention, i.e. you know you haven't met RO, okay with renouncing, and only wish a visa to visit family)

Attempting to keep PR status may be difficult and not be practical for what you describe as a visit.

Renouncing and getting sponsored by your spouse in future is possible.

Note, these comments don't address the covid-specific issues, like it may take longer and quarantine rules. This may not be a quick process.
Thanks a lot for your detailed reply.

razza_123

Nov 29, 2013
The only way use your expired card to visit Canada is through the land border from the states. But going to US has its own travel restrictions due to pandemic.
Thanks for your reply. I have the visit visa of USA. Can I enter Canada from USA on an expired PR card? I will go after the pandemic is over.

Bentham

Sep 8, 2018
Believe you still have to meet the 14 day stay requirement in the US before you can enter Canada.
I recently came back to Canada via the USA from my country. I did not find a requirement to stay in the USA for 14 days before coming to Canada on either government's website. I arrived to New York from my country on Saturday. On Sunday morning I flew to Burlington, took a taxi to the Canadian border. The officer asked me about my trip, let me in, I obviously had to go onto self-isolation in Canada. This was thoroughly monitored. But no questions were asked about 14 day quarantine in the US.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I recently came back to Canada via the USA from my country. I did not find a requirement to stay in the USA for 14 days before coming to Canada on either government's website. I arrived to New York from my country on Saturday. On Sunday morning I flew to Burlington, took a taxi to the Canadian border. The officer asked me about my trip, let me in, I obviously had to go onto self-isolation in Canada. This was thoroughly monitored. But no questions were asked about 14 day quarantine in the US.
The CBSA agent made an error.