+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

permanent residency obligation

moradian_2007

Oct 2, 2014
Hi
I send my application for PR Card renewal 18 months ago and I am in Canada from that time. My application was prepared on the base of being employed by a Canadian company. I have received a letter from CIC in Vancouver One year ago, asking for more supportive documents that I have answered immediately and from that time untill now now news from them. On the other hand the time that I was staying in Canada during 2011,2012 and 2013 plus the 18 monts during 2014 and 2015 exceed two years requeirment.
I am in urgent need of my Renewed PR Card to go to my country. Anybody in the same boat?
Moradian

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
FYI - the 18 months you have spent in Canada from the time your PR card renewal application was submitted won't be considered by CIC when it comes to evaluating whether you meet the residency requirement for keeping your PR status. All that matters is whether you met the residency requirement or not on the day the application was submitted.

It sounds like you were employed overseas by a Canadian company and are using this time to help you comply with the residency requirement. Were you first hired for a role within Canada by this company and then at a later date transferred to a permanent position outside of Canada? Or were the circumstances of your employment different (i.e. were you hired directly for the role outside of Canada)?

moradian_2007

Oct 2, 2014
Dear Scylla
Many thanks for kind answer
Please note I was employed when I was in Canada for a job outside of Canada. The last email that I have receive from CIC. and I answered was in Nov.2014 Do you have any idea how long I should wait for an answer either positive or negative?
regards
moradian

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
moradian_2007 said:
Dear Scylla
Many thanks for kind answer
Please note I was employed when I was in Canada for a job outside of Canada. The last email that I have receive from CIC. and I answered was in Nov.2014 Do you have any idea how long I should wait for an answer either positive or negative?
regards
moradian
Your timeline is unusually long given its one year since you returned the requested documents and 18 months since you applied. Based on the little feedback on this forum as to delay reason for PR Card renewals (compared to Citizenship applications where there is more info) it seems most of the wait is for the file actually to be reviewed. Its gathering dust so to speak. Apply for GCMS notes under the ATIP process (do a search using these terms). This usually gets your file back on track as someone at CIC has to access it and it may bring to their attention they haven't done anything so far. In regards to case law limited material as to processing times but there is a ruling where CIC presented a 12-18 month timeline as 'reasonable' for a 'complex' case such as yours and the FC Judge did not deem this excessive. For this particular case the FC directed CIC issue the PR his PR Card as CIC shifted the RO window between application date and PR Card pick up date.

As a side issue I have posted below the regs on being employed abroad for RO compliance. Since CIC knew PRs would be lining up to set up small time mom and pops incorporations not for profit but to comply with the RO they made the rules for this exemption tight. If both you and the company meet the rules then you are good. Review these and decide if you still want to pursue the application or cut your losses, withdrawal and apply afresh if you have actual 'In Canada' physical days to meet the RO.

IRPA regs

Division 2 - Residency Obligation

Canadian business

61. (1) Subject to subsection (2), for the purposes of subparagraphs 28(2)(a)(iii) and (iv) of the Act and of this section, a Canadian business is
(a) a corporation that is incorporated under the laws of Canada or of a province and that has an ongoing operation in Canada;
(b) an enterprise, other than a corporation described in paragraph (a), that has an ongoing operation in Canada and
(i) that is capable of generating revenue and is carried on in anticipation of profit, and
(ii) in which a majority of voting or ownership interests is held by Canadian citizens, permanent residents, or Canadian businesses as defined in this subsection; or
(c) an organization or enterprise created under the laws of Canada or a province.

Marginal note:Exclusion

(2) For greater certainty, a Canadian business does not include a business that serves primarily to allow a permanent resident to comply with their residency obligation while residing outside Canada.

Marginal note:Employment outside Canada

(3) For the purposes of subparagraphs 28(2)(a)(iii) and (iv) of the Act, the expression “employed on a full-time basis by a Canadian business or in the public service of Canada or of a province” means, in relation to a permanent resident, that the permanent resident is an employee of, or under contract to provide services to, a Canadian business or the public service of Canada or of a province, and is assigned on a full-time basis as a term of the employment or contract to
(a) a position outside Canada;
(b) an affiliated enterprise outside Canada; or
(c) a client of the Canadian business or the public service outside Canada.

moradian_2007

Oct 2, 2014
Hi Scylla
I am so much thankful for your comprehensive answer, Please note I had asked for my electronic ATIP 2 months ago and I receved some pages by email that did not contain many information unless some updates. I am going to ask for a physical file this time that it may bring my file on the right track as you mentioned, but I am afraid it may causes more delay since I have a large file to be copyed.
Thanks again for your kind help
Moradian