+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Residency Landing - PR Card & PR Travel Document

vikipickles

Sep 2, 2017
I have been granted Permanent Residency and have until 17th November to "land in the country". I am planning on going to Canada for two weeks at the end of August to see some friends and drop a bag off there before returning to the UK for 6 weeks.

I understand that the current processing time for PR cards is 6-8 weeks so if I were to "land" on the 21st August and give the address of a friend in Canada (unable to send them to overseas addresses), by the time I come back to Canada in mid October, the card would not have been processed yet, or if it had, there would not have been enough time for it to be sent to my friend and then for them to ship it to me in England.

I have read about the PR Travel Document which basically replaces/acts as a temporary PR card. However I am not 100% clear on how to apply for it, whether it can be submitted online or whether I hand it in at the immigration desk when I land, or whether I need to post it from where I am now. Could someone clarify how I go about obtaining this, so if I applied for it now, then I landed in August and applied for my PR card then, by the time I reenter in October I would have the travel document as still waiting for the card?

Or, I am curious about whether I could enter as a tourist for the two weeks I will be in Canada in August and then actually "land" and activate my PR in October when I know I won't be leaving the country again for at least 6 months, therefore giving time for the card to arrive.

I depart in 3 weeks time so my main concern is that I won't screw up my residency by entering as a tourist. As long as I have a tourist visa when I enter in a few weeks time, they won't demand I activate my PR then and there will they? I assume that their system will only show that I have an ETA, not that I am a PR waiting to activate, so as long as I activate my PR before it's expiry, would I be able to come and go on a tourist visa?

Thanks!

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have been granted Permanent Residency and have until 17th November to "land in the country". I am planning on going to Canada for two weeks at the end of August to see some friends and drop a bag off there before returning to the UK for 6 weeks.

I understand that the current processing time for PR cards is 6-8 weeks so if I were to "land" on the 21st August and give the address of a friend in Canada (unable to send them to overseas addresses), by the time I come back to Canada in mid October, the card would not have been processed yet, or if it had, there would not have been enough time for it to be sent to my friend and then for them to ship it to me in England.

I have read about the PR Travel Document which basically replaces/acts as a temporary PR card. However I am not 100% clear on how to apply for it, whether it can be submitted online or whether I hand it in at the immigration desk when I land, or whether I need to post it from where I am now. Could someone clarify how I go about obtaining this, so if I applied for it now, then I landed in August and applied for my PR card then, by the time I reenter in October I would have the travel document as still waiting for the card?

Or, I am curious about whether I could enter as a tourist for the two weeks I will be in Canada in August and then actually "land" and activate my PR in October when I know I won't be leaving the country again for at least 6 months, therefore giving time for the card to arrive.

I depart in 3 weeks time so my main concern is that I won't screw up my residency by entering as a tourist. As long as I have a tourist visa when I enter in a few weeks time, they won't demand I activate my PR then and there will they? I assume that their system will only show that I have an ETA, not that I am a PR waiting to activate, so as long as I activate my PR before it's expiry, would I be able to come and go on a tourist visa?

Thanks!
Honestly it is a lot to read so I only read until your question regarding PRTD. You cannot apply for it when doing your landing, you can only start the process once you return to the UK. There should be a VAC in the UK that processes PRTD, you can also contact them for processing times.