+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Residency Application

RainbowE

Aug 26, 2016
Hi!
I am trying to figure out which program would be best to appl for, but don't really know which to choose. I will be doing what's called a full time period of service in the BC area; so I will spend a year or more working with youth in the community and I am suppose to start in September. The program I will be working with for this will pay all of my housing and everyday expenses, but I am not sure if this would be considered as having employment in Canada already and I have worked with them for the past 5 years and done the full time period of service for 2 years in the US with the same people. Was wondering what is the best program to apply for in this case?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi!
I am trying to figure out which program would be best to appl for, but don't really know which to choose. I will be doing what's called a full time period of service in the BC area; so I will spend a year or more working with youth in the community and I am suppose to start in September. The program I will be working with for this will pay all of my housing and everyday expenses, but I am not sure if this would be considered as having employment in Canada already and I have worked with them for the past 5 years and done the full time period of service for 2 years in the US with the same people. Was wondering what is the best program to apply for in this case?
What you will be doing in Canada won't count as work experience since you aren't being paid a salary. If you worked under the same conditions in the US (housing and expenses paid - but no salary) - you won't be able to count this as work experience either. Do you have any work experience where you were paid an actual salary?

RainbowE

Aug 26, 2016
What you will be doing in Canada won't count as work experience since you aren't being paid a salary. If you worked under the same conditions in the US (housing and expenses paid - but no salary) - you won't be able to count this as work experience either. Do you have any work experience where you were paid an actual salary?
So even though they paid those expenses for me and gave a monthly stipend for the 2 years it still wouldn't count? I worked for 8 months as a server/cook/ on call housekeeping at a assisted living facility, a year as and a housekeeping at what's called the the tacoma dome and greater Tacoma convention center, a year and some months as child care provider for my sister, and year and 2 months now as a home care aide all of these jobs happening at the same time and got paid for them all and filled taxes. I know the caregiver program is closed at the moment is there any other option for a program to apply to that will allow me to apply for permanent residency and be able to do a period of service this September?

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Unfortunately I don't see anything in your current work experience that would qualify you for PR. Maybe someone else will be able to suggest something.

RainbowE

Aug 26, 2016
Unfortunately I don't see anything in your current work experience that would qualify you for PR. Maybe someone else will be able to suggest something.
So should I just apply for a visitor visa and keep extending it and try then? Apply for a work permit or would I need to have a job that pays more than stipends to apply for that? Could I just straight up apply for PR and hope for the best? Would I have a chance at PR if I apply for PNP or under the skilled workers program? I will see if others have answers also it's just it is a time sensitive situation where I have to be living in Canada by September. Also is sponsorship only allowed by relative or spouse, because I have friends who have offered and are willing to sponsor me if possible.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So should I just apply for a visitor visa and keep extending it and try then? Apply for a work permit or would I need to have a job that pays more than stipends to apply for that? Could I just straight up apply for PR and hope for the best? Would I have a chance at PR if I apply for PNP or under the skilled workers program? I will see if others have answers also it's just it is a time sensitive situation where I have to be living in Canada by September. Also is sponsorship only allowed by relative or spouse, because I have friends who have offered and are willing to sponsor me if possible.
To apply for a work permit, you need a full time job offer and approved LMIA from your employer. Just being in Canada as a visitor doesn't entitle you to a work permit. Note that the stipend program you want to participate in requires you to have a work permit. You can't participate in this program just based on a visitor visa. Have they obtained an LMIA yet? If not, they had better start soon since this process can easily take 3-5 months.

For PR, you need to meet the requirements of the program under which you are applying. There's no point applying and hoping for the best if you don't qualify. Based on the information you've provided, you don't have the work experience required to apply under the Federal Skilled Worker / Express Entry program. You also don't qualify under Canadian Experience Class (and you also won't be able to use the stipend work to qualify under CEC or any other program). I don't believe you would qualify under PNP either. Also, even if you did qualify, there's no way processing would be completed by September.

Friends cannot sponsor you for PR. Only a spouse / common law partner would be able to sponsor you. A common law partner is someone you have lived with for a minimum of one full year continuously.

RainbowE

Aug 26, 2016
To apply for a work permit, you need a full time job offer and approved LMIA from your employer. Just being in Canada as a visitor doesn't entitle you to a work permit. Note that the stipend program you want to participate in requires you to have a work permit. You can't participate in this program just based on a visitor visa. Have they obtained an LMIA yet? If not, they had better start soon since this process can easily take 3-5 months.

For PR, you need to meet the requirements of the program under which you are applying. There's no point applying and hoping for the best if you don't qualify. Based on the information you've provided, you don't have the work experience required to apply under the Federal Skilled Worker / Express Entry program. You also don't qualify under Canadian Experience Class (and you also won't be able to use the stipend work to qualify under CEC or any other program). I don't believe you would qualify under PNP either. Also, even if you did qualify, there's no way processing would be completed by September.

Friends cannot sponsor you for PR. Only a spouse / common law partner would be able to sponsor you. A common law partner is someone you have lived with for a minimum of one full year continuously.
No don't have an LMIA