+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Residence to Supervisa

Apr 11, 2018
My parents are permanent resident but they cannot fulfill the residency obligations.
Is there a way that they can get supervise/10 year temporary/Tourist visa so that they can come over and visit us in the future?

my parents are coming in May 2018 and their PR card expires in September 2018.

I would like to apply for temporary/tourist visa while they are here.

please advise

thanks

naren

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
Your parents cannot apply for a visa so long they are permanent residents.
As PRs, your parents have a right to enter Canada, but at the border they risk being reported for failure to comply with the residency obligation. They will be let in to Canada, but that report will trigger the process to revoke their PR status.

Your parents have the option of renouncing their PR status, and applying for the Super Visa, but this would have to be done before their trip.

Reactions: scylla

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
Your parents cannot apply for a visa so long they are permanent residents.
As PRs, your parents have a right to enter Canada, but at the border they risk being reported for failure to comply with the residency obligation. They will be let in to Canada, but that report will trigger the process to revoke their PR status.

Your parents have the option of renouncing their PR status, and applying for the Super Visa, but this would have to be done before their trip.
My friend renounced his PR when he entered at the port. Signed a document and then let in. CBSA officer said from then his next visit should be OK to apply TRV.

Reactions: evdm

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
My friend renounced his PR when he entered at the port. Signed a document and then let in. CBSA officer said from then his next visit should be OK to apply TRV.
Good point, would they be given a visitor record though, considering they would otherwise need a visa to enter Canada? Once the OPs parents are no longer PRs, they can apply for the appropriate visa, but this would have to be done from outside of Canada if I'm not mistaken.