+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent residence for open Work permit

ked

Aug 30, 2009
Hi, I just came to Edmonton Alberta, in August as the dependent of my wife who is on a study permit. I was franted an open work permit, and now I am working as a Technical Sales Associate ( NOC 6221), bilingual in both French and English fluently, I am involved in selling Trainings and staffing solutions for major manufacturing companies across Canada and USA.

My question is: Am I eligible to apply for permanent Residency? If yes, is it possible to apply now? Or should I wait for a minimum period of time?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Your NOC 6221 is Skill Level B, so it would be considered skilled employment. For the Canadian Experience Class (CEC, this forum) you would need to work for 2 years before you would be eligible.

However, if you have a permanent job offer, you may qualify under Category 2 ("arranged employment") of the federal skilled worker class. You may also qualify under Category 3 after working for 1 year.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp

ked

Aug 30, 2009
Thanks a lot, your information is very useful... I will just to have to wait for the 1 year completed work experience to be able to apply fpr PR. 5 Star.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
With a work permit and an offer from your employer stating they will continue to employ you when you get your PR, you can apply right away for you and your wife under category 2 of the skilled worker class, that is if you have at least 67 points on the self assessement and have at least 1 year continuous skilled work experience at some point in the past.

After your wife has been in Canada for one year, she can apply as a skilled worker under category 3 for you both if she qualifies (67 points, 1 year continuous work experience) or you can apply after you have worked for 1 year.