+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent residence counterfoil

Caro90

Aug 7, 2018
We are landing in Canada next month. We have our confirmation of permanent residence documents. In the letter it also mentions a counterfoil. What is this? I don't think we have one? Thanks!

northern sunshine

Mar 22, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
AOR Received.
12-06-2018
Med's Done....
02-06-2018
Passport Req..
26-07-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019
The counterfoil is a visa attached to your passport that allows you to enter Canada in order to complete your landing formalities and become a PR. It would have been placed in your passport when you sent it in for PPR.

If you are from a visa-exempt county, you don't need a visa and would only have been required to send a copy of your passport rather than your passport itself, and therefore would not have been given any visa (counterfoil).

Reactions: Caro90

Caro90

Aug 7, 2018
The counterfoil is a visa attached to your passport that allows you to enter Canada in order to complete your landing formalities and become a PR. It would have been placed in your passport when you sent it in for PPR.

If you are from a visa-exempt county, you don't need a visa and would only have been required to send a copy of your passport rather than your passport itself, and therefore would not have been given any visa (counterfoil).
Ah that makes sense then! We are from a visa exempt country but sent the passports anyway. Ooops. Thanks for putting my mind at rest!

mesa123

Aug 20, 2019
My account is updated with counterfoil on 15th Aug. Me and husband both have indian passports and currently living in USA. In the counterfoil documents place of issue is shoing India for me but for my husband it is showing "United States of America". What should i do regarding this. I already raised CSE under "Permanent Residence (applied online)" on the 15th Aug. I have not received any reply from CIC. Does this needs to be corrected ?