+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Residence Confirmation Portal while in the USA

s33d5

Apr 6, 2022
Hey,

So I have a work visa for Canada that is still valid.

I have just received a confirmation email from IRCC.

However, I am currently in the USA on holiday and I was hoping to be here for at least a month.

Do I need to head back and wait it out in Canada until I get my PR card? What are the waiting times generally?

I can enter fine on my work visa, so that's not an issue. It's just that I drove for days to get to the South West USA and now I have to head back!

Any advice would be great.

vkamath

Nov 30, 2022
In all honesty to should be inside Canada when you are submitting the declaration. Note once you become a permanent resident i.e. when you get your eCOPR all your Visa's and work Permit become null and void.

There is nothing stopping you from tell that you are still in Canada but I am not sure they US entry logs. I'd say return soon and then complete the formalities.

The PR processing times are 42 days from eCOPR.

s33d5

Apr 6, 2022
In all honesty to should be inside Canada when you are submitting the declaration. Note once you become a permanent resident i.e. when you get your eCOPR all your Visa's and work Permit become null and void.

There is nothing stopping you from tell that you are still in Canada but I am not sure they US entry logs. I'd say return soon and then complete the formalities.

The PR processing times are 42 days from eCOPR.
Yes I'm not planning on telling them I'm in Canada until I'm in Canada.

I may just stay here for a few weeks and then kick off the process when I get back. That way at least I don't have to the whole drive all over again right now!

Reactions: vkamath

s33d5

Apr 6, 2022
Yes I'm not planning on telling them I'm in Canada until I'm in Canada.

I may just stay here for a few weeks and then kick off the process when I get back. That way at least I don't have to the whole drive all over again right now!
Another question for you.

If I were to go back to Canada, tell them "I'm in Canada, let's proceed.". Is the next step filling out the portal (photo, etc.) and the PR card is mailed to my home address?

I live in a shared house. Could I not just get this mailed to me by a house mate in tracked mail? Or is there some other reason I have to be in Canada?

I have a few things planned that I need to leave Canada for (weddings and a birth).

vkamath

Nov 30, 2022
Another question for you.

If I were to go back to Canada, tell them "I'm in Canada, let's proceed.". Is the next step filling out the portal (photo, etc.) and the PR card is mailed to my home address?

I live in a shared house. Could I not just get this mailed to me by a house mate in tracked mail? Or is there some other reason I have to be in Canada?

I have a few things planned that I need to leave Canada for (weddings and a birth).
You could do that but it is not advisable. If your house mate is traveling to meet you certainly he could do that. Tracked mail works but is risky. If the customs catch it they could destroy it.

The PR card production is not started till your eCOPR is generated. If you are traveling to US via a private vehicle you don't need a PR card you can use the passport and eCOPR.

Reactions: s33d5

s33d5

Apr 6, 2022
You could do that but it is not advisable. If your house mate is traveling to meet you certainly he could do that. Tracked mail works but is risky. If the customs catch it they could destroy it.

The PR card production is not started till your eCOPR is generated. If you are traveling to US via a private vehicle you don't need a PR card you can use the passport and eCOPR.
Oh wow, well that makes things incredibly easier.

Thank you so much!