+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent residence and work permit

sobol

Dec 4, 2008
Dear all,
I've submitted two months ago for the PR VISA and got the file number and the receipt. Recently, i've found the job and I have to submit for Work Permit. Can I do it in parallel or they will require to withdraw my PR application? Is there any risk that my PR application will damage the processing of the work permit?
Thanks a lot.

kelmolab

Star Member
Dec 4, 2007
Hi, same situation here.. there is this thing called the "dual Intent Policy" wherein one's is not precluded in pursuing the PR status if one has a Work permit visa or application. application for PR and a Work Permit is processed independently from one and the other. You dont need to withdraw your application for PR, your work permit should actually compliment your PR application. Goodluck!

sobol

Dec 4, 2008
Thanks for your reply. Actually I asked because they have such a sentence in their application documentation: "satisfy an officer that you'll leave Canada at the end of your employment". But it is clear that if I submit for the PR in parallel - I mean to stay in Canada.

kelmolab

Star Member
Dec 4, 2007
the authorities would definitely like to be assured that you are leaving Canada upon expiration of your WORK VISA.. Should you however get approved (PR), then things will be different. I strongly suggest that during your interview, lay out your cards, let them know your intent to immigrate to Canada, but would go about it by the book.

* Q2. Immigration to Canada - What is the quickest way?

* A2.That depends on what you mean by "immigrate". You can move to Canada and begin living and working there very quickly with a temporary work visa. But such a visa does not allow you to stay here forever. If, however, by "immigrate" you mean move to Canada forever, then the timing will usually be significantly longer. We have already mentioned previously that most immigration to Canada involves a two-step process .Usually immigrants get a temporary work visa first, and then get their permanent immigrant status.