+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Performing artist temporary resident visa application

pierrepblais

Nov 29, 2019
I am in charge of a well established Indonesian music orchestra in Canada. We are planning on inviting a renowned artist from Indonesia to perform on stage with us for one single concert. the concert is funded by grants from the federal and provincial government which will cover all of this artists traveling expenses, as well as a wage for the concert performance.

despite this being work, if I understand Division 3 article 186.G of the immigration law, performing artists are exempt from requiring a work permit if they are only coming to Canada for a limit time engagement.

"A foreign national may work in Canada without a work permit [...] g. as a performing artist appearing alone or in a group in an artistic performance — other than a performance that is primarily for a film production or a television or radio broadcast — or as a member of the staff of such a performing artist or group who is integral to the artistic performance, if: (i) they are part of a foreign production or group, or are a guest artist in a Canadian production or group, performing a time-limited engagement, and (ii) they are not in an employment relationship with the organization or business in Canada that is contracting for their services;"
*the bold parts are what I understand our situation falls under.

So what I understand is he only needs to apply for a temporary resident visa? correct?
if so, purpose of application is "business", "visit" or "other".

If we select business, in the required documents, he need to include:

1.Business Registration (required)
2.Offer of Employment (required)
3.Proof of Work Permit Exemption (required)
4.Purpose of Travel - Other (required)
5.Proof that you Meet the Requirements of the Job Being Offered (required)

1. As with a lot of traditional musician, he is self employed, and there is no "official" documents to demonstrate this, there are however numerous newspaper articles, scholarly texts, television interview, etc to attest to this, so would demonstrating his "fame" so to speak as a professional musician be sufficiant? letters from Canadians that have studied with him or even studied his work
2. offer of employment, this would be our groups invitation letter to come perform in Canada, or an actual contract would be required? we currently have a letter that states our formal intent in having him perform with us, with detailed itinerary, and expenses we will cover, is this sufficient.
3. proof of exemption, not sure what is necessary here, a letter from our group stating the facts that this falls within the above mention division of the immigration law?
4. purpose of travel, how is this different then offer of employment?
5. again in the context of performing artist coming to work for a limited time engagement, I am not sure what would constitute appropriate proof?

Other required documents I think I understand and is fine.

if he applies under the "other" then none of these points are required except the purpose of travel - other" document...

Any help on how to navigate this process would be appreciated!
Thanks!

pierrepblais

Nov 29, 2019
I should maybe mention that we have received guest artist before for similar reason (performing with us on stage), but none of them needed a TRV since they were US or European citizens...